NSF GRFP 2014-2015

geographyrocks

Hi! I figured I'd join the fun. Any other senior undergrads (as opposed to first/second year grad students)?

Senior undergrad here!

I'm currently wondering if getting pooped on by a bird is good luck for the NSF as it happened on my way home... (Why must a research direction in my lab be on superstition...?)

Obviously I've lost all focus to fill out lab manger apps... or analyze data for the (now) international collaboration which came from my undergrad thesis...

Edited by FantasticalDevPsych

The email has the decision.

Last year I didn't get awarded, does anyone know if the email subject is different for winners? Mine last year just said your NSF GRFP results. I would love to just set a different ringtone for only a winning email haha so I can sleep though the sadness.

The email has the decision.

Last year I didn't get awarded, does anyone know if the email subject is different for winners? Mine last year just said your NSF GRFP results. I would love to just set a different ringtone for only a winning email haha so I can sleep though the sadness.

Someone said earlier it was the same for everyone I believe. 

Well, I was not accepted into any grad schools this first round (only applied to two, so not much surprise there), and I've already made my peace with it. If I do get it, it'll be like having my life flipped upside down all over again. Good luck everyone!

Edited by Burr

Hi! I figured I'd join the fun. Any other senior undergrads (as opposed to first/second year grad students)?

Yep! I'm happy I decided to apply starting this year because after I get the reviews I can start planning for how to be better next year and be ahead maybe. Speaking of which, does anyone know what the format of the reviews is like? Do we get specific feedback from reviewers on the strong/weak points of our application?

Yep! I'm happy I decided to apply starting this year because after I get the reviews I can start planning for how to be better next year and be ahead maybe. Speaking of which, does anyone know what the format of the reviews is like? Do we get specific feedback from reviewers on the strong/weak points of our application?

You'll have a PDF document in your FastLane account containing comprehensive feedback from each reviewer with the strong and weak points of your application. Usually you'll have info from 2-3 reviewers.

Yep! I'm happy I decided to apply starting this year because after I get the reviews I can start planning for how to be better next year and be ahead maybe.

Agree with you there! I also liked that it forced me to really think about what I want to study and the proposed study was great to mention in interviews!

Last year it was one page per reviewer broken into overall IM and BI (nothing broken down between your essays). They will talk about strengths and weaknesses but sometimes they won't mention an essay entirely.

You'll have a PDF document in your FastLane account containing comprehensive feedback from each reviewer with the strong and weak points of your application. Usually you'll have info from 2-3 reviewers.

Ooh that's awesome!! I can't wait to get feedback :D

I think comprehensive is a strong word. Sometimes the reviews are helpful, sometimes they aren't. Also, you can have up to 4 reviews, but that's unlikely. 3 is most common, but don't read anything into the number of reviews (unless it's 0).

I think comprehensive is a strong word. Sometimes the reviews are helpful, sometimes they aren't. Also, you can have up to 4 reviews, but that's unlikely. 3 is most common, but don't read anything into the number of reviews (unless it's 0).

Yeah, I think I have to dampen that a bit. I just looked back at my reviews from last year and I'm realizing one of them was a little thin. But 2 of the 3 were pretty good about giving me some surprisingly helpful feedback.

In an effort to get some work done tonight, I turn off my laptop

...and promptly go to GradCafe on my phone.

Cheers, everyone! May the odds be ever in your favor! :)

Ooh that's awesome!! I can't wait to get feedback :D

Oh you're excited now, but wait until one reviewer writes an incredibly positive review but gives you the only fair you got, and it keeps you from getting the award.

I mean... I'm sure you'll get it. All of us will.

Don't expect a good or even mildly helpful review from all/any of your reviewers.

I had one reviewer that gave me a glowing review but he/she also seemed to think the sun shone out of my ass (E/E and enthusiastically recommended me for funding) another reviewer gave me G/G and didn't include a single bit of original writing, he/she simply copy and pasted sections of my proposal into their "review". I understand that you cannot appeal appeal reviews to NSF but this seemed a little ridiculous. A third reviewer gave me VG/VG and a helpful review. It's a total crap shoot people.

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by BioBum

Yeah, I started my application on the later side... At least now I know how to prepare better for next year!

Me too.. Definitely regret it, but at least I'm way calmer about the whole thing as a result :P

This may sound really mean, but I find great comfort in knowing that about 15,999 other people are out there somewhere with the same level of hope and anxiousness that I am feeling this evening. Buena fortuna to all! :-)  

Don't expect a good or even mildly helpful review from all/any of your reviewers.

I had one reviewer that gave me a glowing review but he/she also seemed to think the sun shone out of my ass (E/E and enthusiastically recommended me for funding) another reviewer gave me G/G and didn't include a single bit of original writing, he/she simply copy and pasted sections of my proposal into their "review". I understand that you cannot appeal appeal reviews to NSF but this seemed a little ridiculous. A third reviewer gave me VG/VG and a helpful review. It's a total crap shoot people.

Good luck to everyone!

I never really thought about how this could be a crap shoot until the other day. I was reading through last year's thread, and someone got something like VG/VG, E/VG, and F/F... and that F/F came from someone who focused on one single sentence that they didn't like.

I now feel like this is going to end up like the review process for a paper I submitted... one reviewer gave me some great constructive comments, the other person didn't even read the paper and their comments made no sense.