NSF GRFP 2014-2015

geographyrocks

Honorable Mention.

E/E, VG/E, VG/E

Good, but not good enough.  First year grad, first time applying.  Maybe next year!  Congrats to the awardees.   :)

Note: Reviews were all positive.  Not sure how to improve it for next year, but I'll try.

Edited by Munashi

As expected I didn't get it. My proposal and my future goals are really disconnected. The proposal I submitted was the only one I had but it was for a project I don't intend to pursue in graduate school and it really showed through to the committee. That's ok. Next year I will actually have an advisor and a research path that I can match up with my goals and present a complete application. Well, I guess that seals my decision on where to attend grad school though. I'll be going to the only school I am fully funded at! Overall I am not as sad as I thought I'd be. I guess I kinda knew I wasn't going to get it.

Edited by rlb1au

Nope here. F/G, VG/VG, E/E. One very skeptical review, one rather generic (copy-pasting from my CV), one very enthusiastic. One the one hand, I'm glad my plans for the coming year aren't being turned upside down, on the other, ouch. Still, my skeptical reviewer managed to use the word "problematic" three times in one paragraph. I'm vary of such people. :P

Thankfully, my project is one that I can and will work on in my own time, and that does not require funding to get rolling, just public participation.

Edited by Burr

No go =[        VG/E E/E VG/VG

at least what they said was a confidence boost (just not their final decision jeje) u_u

but as the wise Groucho Marxs once said...."Eh. I don't want to belong to any club that would accept people like me as a member"

jeje congratulations to everyone who won =]

VG/E, VG/E, VG/E - No award, no HM. Last possible year to apply. Was told by one reviewer that it was dissapointing that I hadn't made more significant research progress during my first year of grad school. Sad, because I neglected to mention that I changed groups and took two semesters of 16 credit hours :/ Ohwell, congratulations to everyone else!

E/E E/VG E/E with an honorable mention and no substantial feedback about what could be improved. /sigh. Without this level of funding, it's no grad school for me this year. Probably done with this whole process.

I feel you, I'm in the same boat. It's OK, we'll make it. Just gotta beat our own path for a while.

No luck. :( Prior lack of publications, mehhhhh.

Congrats to everyone who got it, and to those who got an honorable mention!

Edited by skatjezero

Yeah, I didn't get it either, which quite frankly I definitely expected. I thought my project was good, but my proposal definitely wasn't cohesive...I've never done something like this before, as I'm a senior undergrad. On the plus side, I got a lot of really great reviews (which actually surprised me) and they all seemed to think my project idea was good (if not fully put together)! A bit of a mixed bag on what the three reviewers thought about my broader impacts/outreach for my personal statement. I don't have a lot of traditional teaching experience, but have done an outreach internship and worked as a program leader for my university's stranding program, but some reviewers didn't seem to think that was enough. Ah well. That's certainly something I can work on this summer and while I'm in grad school with my TAship and all. 

All in all, I'm pleased with the reviews I got back, and definitely eager to redefine my focus once I'm at grad school and hopefully get 2 more chances to apply for it again! :D

Just for reference: VG/VG, VG/G, VG/VG (Geosciences-Marine Biology)

RESULTS ARE UP.

didn't get it, but my reviews are excellent. i'm pretty proud of myself - i wrote my application with no guidance and a day before the deadline. i keep reading the reviews and theyre so good. its a bummer i didn't get it but hey science grant writing is a process 

RESULTS ARE UP.

didn't get it, but my reviews are excellent. i'm pretty proud of myself - i wrote my application with no guidance and a day before the deadline. i keep reading the reviews and theyre so good. its a bummer i didn't get it but hey science grant writing is a process 

And science grant awards are often a potluck! Better luck next year, I imagine you'll make do~

i'm in a masters program so this was technically my last year to apply. i forgot about the deadline 3 days before (my LOR hated me hahah) but i got G/G E/E E/E writing it by myself. i think if i had an advisor to work with (i'm overseas) i could have done a lot better, but i'm pretty proud of myself for writing up a proposal like this. they were all very excited i just had one reviewer that wanted more nit picky details that i should have provided. 

on to the next one!