NSF GRFP 2014-2015

geographyrocks

Staying up for the grfp is like waiting for christmas morning, but you're old enough to realize that the shiny box waiting for you underneath that sparkly tree is most likely gonna be a 6pack of itchy beige crew socks.

I was thinking more like when you're not sure if you've been naughty or nice and legitimately believe in Santa and think you might get coal. I'm Jewish, so I don't know if anyone ever actually believes the coal part, but it feels analogous. 

I was thinking more like when you're not sure if you've been naughty or nice and legitimately believe in Santa and think you might get coal. I'm Jewish, so I don't know if anyone ever actually believes the coal part, but it feels analogous. 

Or like opening a chocolate bar and hoping to get Willy Wonka's Golden Ticket.

This is my first time posting, though I've lurked on the forums for a bit. And now I'm sitting here waiting with the rest of you.

I applied for the GRFP for the first time this year, after starting a Masters program in winter 2014. I'll still be in my second year of my program in the fall, but since I will have been in grad school for three semesters, I'm not sure if I'll be eligible to apply again. Technically in August I will have only gone to school for 12 months, since I'm not taking spring/summer classes, but it will have been actually 19 months since I began my program. Does anybody have any experience in this and know for sure how they measure the 12 months?

I'm pretty sure I won't be eligible, I'm just trying to pass the time until the announcement, and possibly soften the blow when I don't get it.

Edited by cbracevi

This is my first time posting, though I've lurked on the forums for a bit. And now I'm sitting here waiting with the rest of you.

I applied for the GRFP for the first time this year, after starting a Masters program in winter 2014. I'll still be in my second year of my program in the fall, but since I will have been in grad school for three semesters, I'm not sure if I'll be eligible to apply again. Technically in August I will have only gone to school for 12 months, since I'm not taking spring/summer classes, but it will have been actually 19 months since I began my program. Does anybody have any experience in this and know for sure how they measure the 12 months?

I'm pretty sure I won't be eligible, I'm just trying to pass the time until the announcement, and possibly soften the blow when I don't get it.

They measure it from when you begin taking courses and they include "off" time, not just actual months spent in class. So for me, I started my program in the fall 2013 semester, so my 12 month mark was in late August of 2014, making me eligible as of August 1. Since you started in the winter term, if classes started in January of 2014, then you would reach 12 months in January 2015. Thus, you will be ineligible next year, because as of August 1, 2015, you will have completed more than 12 months. However, should you not go for a PhD immediately after your masters, you will become eligible again 2 years after graduating, as long as you don't take any coursework.

Edited by shadowclaw

They measure it from when you begin taking courses and they include "off" time, not just actual months spent in class. So for me, I started my program in the fall 2013 semester, so my 12 month mark was in late August of 2014, making me eligible as of August 1. Since you started in the winter term, if classes started in January of 2014, then you would reach 12 months in January 2015. Thus, you will be ineligible next year, because as of August 1, 2015, you will have completed more than 12 months. However, should you not go for a PhD immediately after your masters, you will become eligible again 2 years after graduating, as long as you don't take any coursework.

That's what I assumed, but it was worth a try anyway. Thanks!

I've been working on my thesis all night. and it's almost done, which is really good for me. This last section was really difficult to write (it has some crazy statistics and it took a long time to analyze and write up). I'm sure my advisor will be pleased when I e-mail it to him tomorrow.

Finished image optimization for our art museum's online collection database. T-15 minutes.

Edit: Woah talk about being ninja'd!

Edited by Burr

Nuts, didn't get it. My reviews were E/E, VG/F, and VG/F. Evidently my last two reviews thought I should include youth involvement in my research plan. Darn those broader impacts!