NSF GRFP 2014-2015

geographyrocks

VG/E, E/E, E/E, all reviews say "strongly recommend" but nothing to show for it. :( Wish I at least had an idea of what I was missing/how I could improve. /sigh

I'm pleasantly surprised with the reviews but now it really feels like a crapshoot.

No go my 1st attempt. 2 helpful reviews and 1 with nothing but comments like "articulated broader impacts" and "intellectual merit is related to computer interactions". Overall it was G/VG, G/G, G/G. I knew going in it was going to be tough as I only have a 3.0 GPA. My recommendations were brought up in the 2 helpful reviews. From the reviews, my intellectual merit, broader impacts, and recommendations work, but my proposal was "in the early stages and should reapply next year with a more detailed plan of action".

Congratulations to all those that won.

Congrats to all who have received it!

I didn't get it this year (G/F VG/F VG/G). I'm applying as a senior undergrad, so I will very likely apply again next year, and I hope to learn from this year's experience.

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions about how to improve the "Broader Impacts" part? For example, what are they looking for? Is it based on the graduate research proposal, or the personal, relevant background and future goals statement, or both? Thanks for sharing!

I received all "excellent's" in my broader impacts area and was awarded the NSF this year, so I will share what I did/included in my essays.  Mine were mainly in my personal essay:

I volunteered at the local food bank for four months (my undergrad degree was in nutrition science)

I facilitated adjunct chemistry courses that supplemented the chem lecture - this was part of an NSF funded program, I did this for two years and it included additional chemistry tutoring, several hours a week

I volunteered at my children['s elementary school.

In my research proposal itself, I did discuss how the results could potentially affect public policy. One thing I didn't do, but I've seen it come up in winning proposals, is discuss how I planned to disseminate the research results/share the information.  That might be something else to look into/write about for future submissions.

G/G E/E VG/VG: Not Recommended

Disappointing, but I guess I'll deal with it. One thing that's kind of weird is that I was worried about my references (one is a Chinese professor who is intelligent but can be hard to parse) and one reviewer did indeed say "His recommenders are muted in their praise, other than his advisor." but another one says "The applicant's independence and creativity receive high marks from his mentors, who provide detailed and convincing support for his candidacy." and "His passion for outreach to underserved students is obvious in his personal statement, and it has attracted the attention of his mentors as well." so I'm not sure whether to change recommenders next year or not :/

E/E E/VG E/VG

Awarded - Holy crap!

My hands are kind of shaking.  I did manage to fall asleep.  But I've been lying in bed for the past hour or so trying to convince myself I should wait to check my email.  I think sleep is effectively ruined.  I'm oddly okay with that now.  ^_^

(I was one of the lucky ones that got it :blink:). I am very confused however, what it means to formally "accept the offer."

I don't think I am going to attend the institution that I originally put on my application  (after doing interview visits, it seemed like other schools were better fits). Also, I originally had my field as "genomics," but it seems that the PhD programs that I liked the most are molecular and cellular biology programs (whereas I would most likely end up doing more of a genetics or molecular biology type project). Do I still push accept and am I able to change the institution later? And how big of a deal is your speciality? Will NSF be accepting of a "genomics" fellow as doing molecular biology work? I am so excited but so terrified of clicking the wrong button. 

Didn't get it. Second year. VG/VG VG/VG G/G

The third reviewer wanted the project to be more completely developed than it was, which I agree with. All three reviewers mentioned strong letters of recommendation and academic engagement outside of the department and university.

Got it!

E/VG, E/E, VG/VG but the content of the reviews were all positive. 

I wrote quite a bit about NSF's newest thrust, STEAM, so it might be good to play toward NSF's strengths. Congrats to all the winners!

Congratulations everyone who's received it! Honored to say I got it as well. E/VG, E/E, E/E. 

Now to see if I can transfer it from neuroscience to psychology, else one of you HMs might be getting a bump on me...

No luck :(.

Last year applying so the only upside is I won't have to go through all the stress again.

E/VG

VG/VG

G/G

All the reviewers were very specific except for the last guy who decided that I applied in the wrong feild, which is funny becuase I applied with a continuation of my masters project in the same program. Because of this he basically didn't review me- I think he just gave my G/G because it seemed middle of the line enough.

On cloud 9^9!!!

Undergrad senior in materials science. Awarded with a E/G, E/P, E/VG. (The E/P said it was one of the best proposals he had read, save for the fact that I did not explicitly state my broader impacts.) 

So the proposal definitely isn't the end all, be all. Each reviewer highlighted my STEM outreach efforts, Excellent letters, and GPA (4.0) as primary reasons for recommendation.

Congratulations to those of you who received the award. I received my second Honorable Mention, and this was the last time I could apply. VG/E, E/E, VG,E.

Unfortunately, there was no explanation why those 2 VG were not E, both of the reviews had only very positive things to say included that they highly recommended me for the award. Just how it goes. Congratulations to all of you awardees again. To those who can apply again, I hope you do and that you get it. If not, its a great learning process.