NSF GRFP 2014-2015

geographyrocks

I don't think so, but it would be nice if it comes through.

The reason we got the $2k boost before is that the increase to 32k was supposed to come a year earlier, but was delayed by budget issues. So when it came through, we got it retroactively.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, we might get 34k. I got the award last year, but was on reserve for this year (did not take the stipend 2014-2015). I just declared tenure for 2015-2016 on Fastlane and when I view my fellowship status, it lists 34k. That's neat.

Does anyone know if this applies to Fellows granted the GRF this year?  I thought all we had to do was declare our Fellowship status for the coming year, but then I don't know why they'd send this to us/me, since I've already done that ....

Dear GRFP Fellows:

This is the third reminder:  the Annual Activities Report submission and the Fellowship Status Declaration tasks are now due in the GRFP FastLane Module.  These tasks must be completed by 11:59 PM ET of Friday, May 1, 2015.  You will not be able to complete these actions after the deadline because the module will close on May 1. 

If you have already completed these actions, thank you (we are sending this notice to all Fellows).

As stated in the Admin Guide (NSF 13-085): By May 1, all Fellows must Declare Tenure Status for the following year. Retroactive requests to Change Tenure Status after this date are generally not permitted. Failure to Declare by the deadline will result in Termination of the Fellowship. Terminated Fellowships may not be reinstated.

________________________________________________________________________________

Please bear in mind that there are four steps to this process:

1) complete the Annual Activities Report,
2) upload the signed Academic/Research Advisor confirmation form, and
3) submit the Annual Activities Report (you will not be able to submit the AAR without uploading the signed Advisor Confirmation Form)
4) declare your Fellowship Status for the 2015-2016 Fellowship Year.

All Fellows, regardless of Fellowship status (tenure, reserve, deferral or forfeit) must submit an Annual Activities Report, upload the signed Academic/Research Advisor confirmation form, and declare their Fellowship Status for the subsequent Fellowship Year.  For Fellows graduating, please include your date of degree completion in the comments section when you select to Terminate.

1)  Annual Activities Report
This report is completed in the FastLane Module.  The Report documents all the activities and accomplishments you have completed during the Fellowship Year. Annual Activities Reports should be brief and informative, please follow the templates and instructions provided in the module. This report must be completed by all Fellows irrespective of whether you were on Tenure, Reserve, Deferral, or Forfeit Status. Please preview the report to ensure that you have completed all the required fields.

2) Academic/Research Advisor confirmation form
After you have completed your report, you must present it to your Academic/Research Advisor (or designated graduate program administrator if your Advisor is unavailable) for review and approval. Your Advisor must sign the Academic/Research Advisor Confirmation Form.  Please upload the signed form to the Academic/Research Advisor confirmation form module in the Annual Activities Report module.  After you have uploaded the signed Advisor Form, you will need to submit the Annual Activities Report before the deadline. 

Fellows who are graduating (Completed) or Terminating (Discontinued) their Fellowship during the year are required to submit the Annual Activities report within 30 days of Completion /Termination.

3) Fellowship Year Declaration
After you have submitted your Annual Activities Report, you must declare your Fellowship Status for the 2015-2016 Fellowship Year.  Submission of the Annual Activities Report IS NOT CONSIDERED as Fellowship Status Declaration. A separate section of the FastLane module is available for Status declaration after the Annual Activities Report is submitted.

Fellows who plan to graduate or complete the five Fellowship years should select Termination and note this in the Comments section.  Please include graduation dates or any other helpful information for the GRFP.

If you experience any technical difficulties with FastLane, please call FastLane User Support at 1-800-673-6188, and select option #2 for FastLane support. Document any service ticket number the technician provides in case we need to follow up.

If you have any questions, please contact your Coordinating Official.  Should you require additional assistance, send inquiries to grfp@nsf.gov.

Thank you,
GRFP 

Log on and check. If it appears in your "to do list" in FastLane, you need to do it. 

You shouldn't need to submit a report, though- just update your status, which it seems like you already have.

Log on and check. If it appears in your "to do list" in FastLane, you need to do it. 

You shouldn't need to submit a report, though- just update your status, which it seems like you already have.

Thanks!  It says no tasks required at this time, so I guess I'm good to go.   B)

Does anyone know how long it takes for them to approve a Fellowship Status Change Request for changing the institution (since I will be attending a different one than the one I put on my application)? 

It takes 3-4 weeks! Just got that answered by my CO yesterday.

Does anyone know how long it takes for them to approve a Fellowship Status Change Request for changing the institution (since I will be attending a different one than the one I put on my application)? 

Does anyone know if current fellows will get back pay for the stipend increase again this year? Last year, when the stipend increased from $30,000 to $32,000, we essentially got a $2000 "bonus" at the end of the year. I'm wondering if this will happen again this year as it increased from $32,000 to $34,000.

I posted a while ago that current fellows will indeed get 34K retroactively to this year. A few days ago, I got the "official email" from my CO:

"As you may have heard, the NSF has increased the stipend for the GRFP to $34,000 per year. They have also announced that the increase is retroactive to the current year.

If you are currently receiving your NSF stipend, then we will process an increase to add the $2000 to what remains of the spring stipend. If you are on reserve, then the increase will be effective when you start tenure."

There you have it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked my account on fastlane it said 34Gs for the stipend used in 2014!  :lol:

This was a great idea - if you login to fastlane, click "view fellowship status details/request fellowship status change" the screen shows you the stipend for each year. For 2014, it shows $34k.

Has anyone gotten an honorable mention one year and received the grant the following year and if so, how much of the application did you change that you think made the difference? Is there any higher chance of being awarded the grant the following year after receiving the honroable mention?

So, my NSF profile still says "Pending NSF Approval."  I switched the school from Cornell to Caltech (application was written for Cornell, but I'm going to end up at Caltech).  My document submission for the Ford Fellowship (submitted April 9) also says "Pending Approval" (or something similar). 

When should I start worrying about this?  Anybody with experience?

Has anyone gotten an honorable mention one year and received the grant the following year and if so, how much of the application did you change that you think made the difference? Is there any higher chance of being awarded the grant the following year after receiving the honroable mention?

I did, and I took the advice from my reviewers and also beefed up my proposal to be more rigorous, commensurate with my greater experience.

As far as chances being better after HM ... nope, no better or worse than anyone else's.  They don't know if you got HM last year unless your letter writers tell them, and even then, I doubt it makes a significant difference.  I have friends who got HM only to never again receive an HM or award.  Then I have myself, who got HM and then awarded the next year.  It depends on your application.

So, my NSF profile still says "Pending NSF Approval."  I switched the school from Cornell to Caltech (application was written for Cornell, but I'm going to end up at Caltech).  My document submission for the Ford Fellowship (submitted April 9) also says "Pending Approval" (or something similar). 

When should I start worrying about this?  Anybody with experience?

I received NSF and Ford too... likewise worried about the pending status on my Ford stuff, but I think it's ok as long as you accepted it on time. I'm fairly certain the same applies for NSF. I'll be making phone calls by the end of the month if nothing changes though. 

I received NSF and Ford too... likewise worried about the pending status on my Ford stuff, but I think it's ok as long as you accepted it on time. I'm fairly certain the same applies for NSF. I'll be making phone calls by the end of the month if nothing changes though. 

Gives me comfort to know I'm not the only one.  Yeah, I might send emails soon if no updates come soon.

I posted a while ago that current fellows will indeed get 34K retroactively to this year. A few days ago, I got the "official email" from my CO:

"As you may have heard, the NSF has increased the stipend for the GRFP to $34,000 per year. They have also announced that the increase is retroactive to the current year.

If you are currently receiving your NSF stipend, then we will process an increase to add the $2000 to what remains of the spring stipend. If you are on reserve, then the increase will be effective when you start tenure."

There you have it.

Anyone else heard about this from their CO? Mine still hasn't heard anything from NSF, which makes me curious.

Anyone else heard about this from their CO? Mine still hasn't heard anything from NSF, which makes me curious.

I haven't, but then I didn't get anything from our CO the last time the stipend went up either. The only email I got about it was directly from NSF in late May 2013. The email subject was "2013-2014 Summary of Changes and Updates for GRFP". 

I was talking to the CO for my school, and she hasn't recieved any word from NSF about the increase being retroactive.

My CO said the additional $2K will be added to my stipend check in one week. I'm very surprised you guys dont already know about it!

Click on 'View Fellowship Status Details/Request Fellowship Status Change' in your account and you should see 34,000 under 'Stipend Used' for 2014.

Edited by Cookie

My CO said the additional $2K will be added to my stipend check in one week. I'm very surprised you guys dont already know about it!

Click on 'View Fellowship Status Details/Request Fellowship Status Change' in your account and you should see 34,000 under 'Stipend Used' for 2014.

Yeah, I do see that, but the lack of info from any official source makes me wonder if it's actually going to happen or not. Don't want to get my hopes up until the extra cash is in my bank account (or my CO tells us that it will be soon). Fingers crossed...

Yeah, I do see that, but the lack of info from any official source makes me wonder if it's actually going to happen or not. Don't want to get my hopes up until the extra cash is in my bank account (or my CO tells us that it will be soon). Fingers crossed...

My paystub shows the extra 2K! Please dont worry :))

• 4 weeks later...

To other fellows:

Do you think it would be obnoxious to include "NSF Graduate Fellow" on business cards? I like having business cards to easily share contact info with people I meet, and thought that it might help with getting people to take me more seriously. I notice that many professors with special positions include the accompanying title in their e-mail salutations and think this might be a similar situation.

Have any of you done this or explicitly not done this?

Thanks!