NSF GRFP 2014-2015

geographyrocks

Yeah, I second this inquiry

Yea, so since all of fastlane is going to be down tomorrow some seem to think this means that results will be posted. On the other hand it has been noted that in the past years they have only taken down the GRF page to post results and have never posted a warning this advanced so it may actually just be routine maintenance. They have maintenance overnight nearly every other week  in this same 10pm-3am window.

The reality is none of us actually know when it is. Speculation, I'd love for it to be tomorrow but I feel like we are jumping the gun a little on this one.

Yea, so since all of fastlane is going to be down tomorrow some seem to think this means that results will be posted. On the other hand it has been noted that in the past years they have only taken down the GRF page to post results and have never posted a warning this advanced so it may actually just be routine maintenance. They have maintenance overnight nearly every other week  in this same 10pm-3am window.

The reality is none of us actually know when it is. Speculation, I'd love for it to be tomorrow but I feel like we are jumping the gun a little on this one.

Possible you're right, but I hope not. They are also having 2 maintenance periods within a couple days. The one that happened Sunday could have been regular maintenance, the other the GRF.

Possible you're right, but I hope not. They are also having 2 maintenance periods within a couple days. The one that happened Sunday could have been regular maintenance, the other the GRF.

I so want to be wrong....tvkpuv.jpg

I give it a 90% that the winners will be announced tonight. I bet the GRFP group wanted the maintenance notice up as a subtle way saying without saying "RESULTS THEN", because in previous years dozens of people emailed, posted (facebook), tweeted, etc. about when the results would be up. I've noticed less of these this year when last year there were several. Of course, this is speculation and I might be reading into it too much.

I give it a 90% that the winners will be announced tonight. I bet the GRFP group wanted the maintenance notice up as a subtle way saying without saying "RESULTS THEN", because in previous years dozens of people emailed, posted (facebook), tweeted, etc. about when the results would be up. I've noticed less of these this year when last year there were several. Of course, this is speculation and I might be reading into it too much.

That'd be cool, and I do think it's possible.  I'm still thinking Friday, personally.  But I wouldn't mind being wrong.

I feel like it's definitely tonight. There have been few times where fastlane shut down 10 pm -3 am and I feel like those time when it did, the announcement that the site would be down wasn't made this far in advance. It's like they're telling us without telling us, as littlemoondragon pointed out.

so even though its only 10am EST...who is staying up tonight?

I know some people say don't do it but I'm typically up till 2 am EST anyways so its not a big deal for me to stay up an hour longer

I was just thinking about why the message went up for all of FastLane to go down this year instead of just the GRFP page, and it might be because there were even more applicants than last year (I don't know this for sure, but in general there are more applicants each year) and it takes some serious work to enter the info to update 14,000+ profiles and get all the emails directed to the correct people, etc and then they have to check it all to make sure they don't accidentally give someone the wrong status. Maybe it's easier to take the whole site down than to try to do it all while the other parts of FastLane are still up and running.

Or maybe they just have a new IT guy and this is how he wants to do it.

Or maybe they watch these forums and thought it'd be funny to see our over analyzing of the early maintenance posting.

Edited by moochie

Well I had two dreams about this last night.

The first dream was straightforward. I opened the email and saw I was awarded the fellowship.

The second dream was was about an alien conspiracy to abduct the winners. The aliens disabled the NSF servers some how and then linked into them using devices disguised as a grills. They then set up centers for students to come find out the results. If someone was a winner, they fed them a piece of pepperoni from the grill that had a mind control agent in it. While waiting in line, I figured out that the grill was fake and an alien device so I ran out to try and find someone to stop them. However, aliens were everywhere (disguised as humans) and they chased after me so I couldn't blow their cover. Never found out of I got the fellowship, though.

Well I had two dreams about this last night.

The first dream was straightforward. I opened the email and saw I was awarded the fellowship.

The second dream was was about an alien conspiracy to abduct the winners. The aliens disabled the NSF servers some how and then linked into them using devices disguised as a grills. They then set up centers for students to come find out the results. If someone was a winner, they fed them a piece of pepperoni from the grill that had a mind control agent in it. While waiting in line, I figured out that the grill was fake and an alien device so I ran out to try and find someone to stop them. However, aliens were everywhere (disguised as humans) and they chased after me so I couldn't blow their cover. Never found out of I got the fellowship, though.

That's an amazing dream.

First time applicant: so will we be emailed as well as the results being posted on FastLane? Or do we have to just check FastLane? Thanks!

I'm sure everyone is not emailed at the exact same time but last year I received an email at 2:07 am central time (I just went and checked old emails I'm not that obsessive). I think the results we up maybe 5 or 10 minutes before that.

On another note people in my department keep insisting that "I'll totally get the award because I got HM last year." Do you think reviewers look or even care about this? I think not, it seems unrelated to your current application.

@HockeyNerd, there are people who got HM one year who got nothing (not even HM again) so it's certainly not a given. You are judged to higher standards in subsequent years, not just in terms of your project but also in terms of your ability to craft a convincing proposal.

On another note people in my department keep insisting that "I'll totally get the award because I got HM last year." Do you think reviewers look or even care about this? I think not, it seems unrelated to your current application.

I've been getting that, too, and I'd like to think there is some truth to that. My application last year was HM and I threw it together in about 2 weeks with no real regard for the NSF's mission. This year, based on some reviewer feedback and really targeting the NSF's mission, I was able to really beef it up (I think). I suppose we will find out in a couple of weeks.

I've been getting that, too, and I'd like to think there is some truth to that. My application last year was HM and I threw it together in about 2 weeks with no real regard for the NSF's mission. This year, based on some reviewer feedback and really targeting the NSF's mission, I was able to really beef it up (I think). I suppose we will find out in a couple of weeks.

what is HM?