NSF GRFP 2014-2015

geographyrocks

Let me clear the deck for you guys: like all things in academia (as some of us know and the rest of you will find out :D), getting something like this boils down to a random process in the end. Yes, you will rise above obvious terrible candidates; but by and large, most of us are very similar if not equally valued between tradeoffs on paper. So the selection is highly arbitrary and, if we analyzed it in depth, there are sure to be huge inconsistencies in ratings if we asked reviewers to look at us some days apart :).

Note that this also applies to other things in academics, like:

1) Graduate school acceptance

2) Conference/journal review

3) Grant proposals (also 10%, its like applying for the GRFP every year! Isn't that great?!)

4) Getting a faculty job

5) IS THERE COFFEE IN THE BREAK ROOM?

etc etc.

Here's something to keep in your mind once the reviews inevitably come in for our proposals: http://www.sigmod.org/publications/sigmod-record/0812/p100.open.cormode.pdf

I am certain something from there will be applicable to some of us. I recently got hit with the Goldilocks thing myself in a conference review ("You have too many results. It is too dense. Reject.").

Here is some info I can provide about the GRFP that may or may not help some. I will provide more after the announcements.

1. Very competitive this year:

There were over 16,000 applicants; the most applicants ever. Last year was around 14,000.

2. How well you apply only gets you so far in the process guaranteed.

What do I mean by that? In competitive fellowships, the reviewers are not looking for winners. They are looking for losers (this is sometimes a difficult mindset to keep for people who apply). 16,000 applications is a lot to go through.

Level 1 is seeing who followed instructions. Essays the right length? Number of references in? Margins correct? etc. I will say the other levels some other time, but once you make it to the last level, it is all luck. With so many people left, the reviewers have to be SUPER PICKY. Do you get the reviewer who emphasizes more on letters than personal statement? Or maybe the reviewer who understands your path (coming from a small college and making it through to a better graduate school as you struggled to find research, etc.)

3.  Congress did not pass to increase number of winners (increase funding).

NSF GRF wanted to increase the number of winners to ~2,700 instead of ~2,000. It didn't the current or previous application year. The odds this year is far worse than last year.

I tried to list some parts of the NSF GRFP that is something out of anyone's control (except I guess the final reviewers). I hope this helps some realize that whether or not you win doesn't mean anything on you being a good scientist. These reviewers are only seeing a small snap shot of your life that is condensed down to transcripts, two essays, and three letters from people who only see you in a certain light. In the end, what you do during graduate school and your future career matters to you and those who really know you.

Good luck.

If tomorrow was the day, when would be our best guess re the appearance of the fastlane will be down message... 5pm?

Wondering the same thing (I think I need to just stop getting on this forum)

Hats off to all of us for even applying--don't listen to all the negativity. Just that says a lot about your motivation, credentials, and whatever support system encouraged you to apply. There were 16,000 applicants out of I don't even know how many eligible students who didn't even try. Yes, the majority of us will awfully disappointed, possibly even tired and angry if we stay up all night to see the results, but just think of what good things can come--feedback on making your future proposals better, showing you have the initiative to try for something big, possibly getting recognized as an honorable mention, and the big "pot of gold" of actually getting the grant!

Hats off to all of us for even applying--don't listen to all the negativity. Just that says a lot about your motivation, credentials, and whatever support system encouraged you to apply. There were 16,000 applicants out of I don't even know how many eligible students who didn't even try. Yes, the majority of us will awfully disappointed, possibly even tired and angry if we stay up all night to see the results, but just think of what good things can come--feedback on making your future proposals better, showing you have the initiative to try for something big, possibly getting recognized as an honorable mention, and the big "pot of gold" of actually getting the grant!

Very true. According to  http://www.cgsnet.org/us-graduate-schools-report-slight-growth-new-students-fall-2012about 461,000 graduate students enrolled in 2012. Assuming that enrollment rate is fairly constant through the years and knowing the following stats:

- About 40% of grad students are "national" students and hence eligible. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/07/12/new-report-shows-dependence-us-graduate-programs-foreign-students

- Around 50% of us are enrolled in STEM fields (see cgsnet link above)

- 3 "generations" of us are applying (Entering students, 1st year and 2nd year) (let us use 2.5 considering there may be some fallout)

We come to an estimate of 230,500 eligible students....

of which only we 16,000 applied

Hence from the total pool of eligible students only about 7% of us applied......

....all of a sudden 12% looks a lot better than a 0.8% chance no?

=]

Edited by Chemil

Yes, and preparing the application last year was a helpful exercise even though I didn't even get HM.  And if I don't get the award again this year (and I probably won't), at least I have some good practice articulating the impacts of my research.  No regrets... But it would be nice to get an award.

"FastLane will be unavailable from 10:00PM ET, Monday, March 30 to 3:00AM ET, Tuesday, March 31 for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Is it happening?!?!

03/26/15  - 

FastLane will be unavailable from 12:01AM ET to 8:00AM ET on Sunday, March 29 for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience. 03/26/15  -  FastLane will be unavailable from 10:00PM ET, Monday, March 30 to 3:00AM ET, Tuesday, March 31 for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience.

What. This was just put up. (I know bc I've been checking all day lol).

I checked last years forum and the message was only on the GRFP page that it would be going down, and it was put up at 8pm EST the night before results were posted...so I don't know if those messages about all of fastlane going down is related or not. who knows could be tomorrow  :P

Edited by Cosmojo

"FastLane will be unavailable from 10:00PM ET, Monday, March 30 to 3:00AM ET, Tuesday, March 31 for scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Is it happening?!?!

Where did you guys see this. I don't see the message in my FastLane

Where did you guys see this. I don't see the message in my FastLane

Me either

edit: Never minddddd

Edited by Argon

Go to just the FastLane homepage, not the one specific for the GRFP. 

https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/

Thanks. Yeah I think it's pretty definitely going to be Tuesday around 3am as in other years. Too much of a coincidence that FastLane is going down, it's a Tuesday (or Friday, as usual), and the maintenance window ends just about time (3am) it seems notifications have been reported before.

If you google "FastLane will be unavailable from 10:00PM ET" , you will see that general Fastlane site goes down for that same time window (10-3am) randomly througout the year (not in March/April). I think we need to wait to see an update about maintinence on the GRFP fastlane site before we get excited (hopefully in about an ~hr?), this whole experience is teaching me a lot about how (im)patient I am...

Edited by giants418

If you google "FastLane will be unavailable from 10:00PM ET" , you will see that general Fastlane site goes down for that same time window (10-3am) randomly througout the year (not in March/April). I think we need to wait to see an update about maintinence on the GRFP fastlane site before we get excited (hopefully in about an ~hr?), this whole experience is teaching me a lot about how (im)patient I am...

I think you killed the momentum. Pretty unlikely it's just a coincidence given it aligns with the other signs as I mentioned above. Date, day of week, etc

If it's Tuesday, my thesis draft for my defense is due the day after.  Great timing.  ugh.  

I feel like we should all pour a shot and keep it on the nightstand for 3 AM. lol.