NSF GRFP 2014-2015

geographyrocks

Yes but some fields are more impacted than others, so it would really depend on how popular your field is... Aggregate results only paint so much of the picture.

I do realize that the odds are indeed against me, but I do like to remain positive about such things. Coming up with stuff like that helps keep me from getting anxious and crazy!

Edited by shadowclaw

Curious about one thing- can anyone say with surety that the e-mail from NSF will have something in the subject line that lets you know you were accepted or rejected before opening the actual e-mail? I read before that the subject line will say "dear fellow" if you received the fellowship, but I'm not sure how accurate what I read was.

The subject of my NSF GRFP offer in 2013 said "2013 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program Notification." You may be thinking of the Fastlane website, which tends to update before the emails go out, and it will say something like "Welcome Fellows" if you are offered the award and "Welcome Applicants" if you are not.

The subject of my NSF GRFP offer in 2013 said "2013 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program Notification." You may be thinking of the Fastlane website, which tends to update before the emails go out, and it will say something like "Welcome Fellows" if you are offered the award and "Welcome Applicants" if you are not.

You cant tell the result from the email subject, afaik. In 2014, it was "2014 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program Application Results" and sent to me at 3:06a April 1, just a few minutes after Fastlane update.

If only there was some way our collective will could force them to move faster :|

Edit: It also gives me a tiny glimmer of happiness thinking that this post will now be at the top, causing each of you a moment of anxiety.

Edited by timshea

Out of curiosity why do you want the NSF GRFP most? Is it the prestige, security of funds, ability to have more freedom in your research, increase in stipend amount, all of the above?

Out of curiosity why do you want the NSF GRFP most? Is it the prestige, security of funds, ability to have more freedom in your research, increase in stipend amount, all of the above?

I've been working (pretty low-paying jobs) through undergrad to subsidize the cost of school. It would be nice to go from -$15k/year (loans) to $32k per year. I'm also trying to do a thesis MS first, so I don't have a shot at other funding right now. It would open up a lot of options (and time) for research in graduate school.

There are two big reasons. First, I have no acceptances at this point. I don't expect to hear from two until later in the month, but the others, which do interviews, didn't offer me one but didn't reject me either. The NSF GRFP can turn those silences into acceptances. Second, stipends at most of these programs are around $20k. It's certainly enough to live off of, but I'm not sure how much I'd actually be able to save for things like car repairs. Plus it would be nice to have enough money to fly to my parents' house for Christmas.

I've been working (pretty low-paying jobs) through undergrad to subsidize the cost of school. It would be nice to go from -$15k/year (loans) to $32k per year. I'm also trying to do a thesis MS first, so I don't have a shot at other funding right now. It would open up a lot of options (and time) for research in graduate school.

This is the same exact situation for me. I'm a triplet and undergrad was expensive enough (student loans). The NSF has about all of the freedom that is possible for funding, is a ton of money in comparison to usual school funds, and opens up the door for a possible PhD. I'm in the first year of a MS right now that is paying for tuition but that's about it (lucky to be close to home/in my home state). 

I guess I'm fortunate in that I already have a stipend which is close to the one offered by the GRFP and my PI allows me quite a bit of freedom in my research.  I want a GRF mostly for the prestige, I guess.  But it would also allow my PI to afford to take on more graduate students, which would be nice!

Safe to assume that Wed April 1 is the first we can expect for possible announcement day?

Surely it couldn't be the Friday before, March 27th.

Sigh ... just passing the time.

Someone posted all of the notification dates for the past several years (was in the last few pages of this thread). I think the earliest/only one before April 1 was March 29th, so doesnt seem likely. My best guess is April 1st. I think that's what it was last year and maybe 2 out of last 3 years if I recall.

Since decisions seem to be emailed/posted around early morning, 2-3am, I'm considering 3/31as the release date.

But really not thinking about this too much or anything.. ;-)

Edited by Freudian_Slip

Bumpitybumpbump. 

T-~3 weeks.

I'm just going to leave this here. T-~5 weeks.

2014: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 @ 2:00 AM

2013 : Friday, March 29, 2013 @ ~2:00AM

2012: Friday, April 1, 2012 @ ~2:00AM

2011: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 @ ~12:50AM

2010: Tuesday, April 6, 2010 @ ~1:00AM

2009: Friday, April 10, 2009 @ ~1:00AM

2008: Tuesday, April 1, 2008 @ ~2:00AM

2007: Monday, March 23. 2007 @ ~11:20 PM

More freedom in my research & a little confidence boost :P

An additional perk of being an NSF fellow is the kind of networking I have been able to do since last April, with faculty, admin staff, and researchers outside of my institution. The fellowship has opened so many doors that I couldnt imagine possible.

Good luck to all applicants this year! "Wait and hope!"

Edited by Cookie