MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

As the deadlines get closer my self-doubt only grows! ....it's not too late too late to paint 20 new, right.... ? ......

Edited by Jonsuit

This forum usually gets very very busy starting in January as deadlines appear so don't give up reading and posting. It then seems to go dormant with few posts around end of March/April when people have heard from schools and made decisions.

Edited by smartstrategy

The SOP is the single greatest generator of self-doubt I've encountered. I'd rather be told my work is garbage than have to dig into myself and translate the findings into words. The process of writing about art makes me miss actual art making. ;_;

My portfolio will be added to/edited up until I click submit. The work I'm making at this time feels more genuine than many of the images currently in my portfolio. 

Also, I'll be visiting VCU this Saturday. Nerves. 

Edited by wm000

On 11/10/2014 at 5:10 PM, AKW94 said:

Did anyone decided to go too grad national portfolio day this pass Sunday...?

I went. It was an interesting experience because I would go to one booth and they would tell me one thing and then go to the next and they would have a completely conflicting view. It definitely gave me something to think about but it was frustrating at times. Here is a basic recap of what happened:

Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts: I met with the dean of the school and had a very uplifting discussion about where my work was headed. He took photos of my work with his own phone, wrote down a lot of what I said on the back of my card, and gave me fantastic advice on which pieces to include in my portfolio. Asked me how I had heard of the school and I told him that I wanted to work with Alex Kanevsky who teaches there. Talked about him for a while. Then he gave a very thorough description on how the graduate school runs and what they expect. Definitely sold me on the school.

Tyler: Waited in line for a good 30 minutes. I was very excited to talk about the school but the representative seemed like he couldn't care less. I gave a brief discussion on my art and he didn't have anything to add except the fact that their school is very competitive. Didn't really seem to like my work. Asked me if I had talked to Pennslyvania Academy of Art because they work more with representational subjects. I thanked him for his time and left feeling dumb.

Columbus College of Art and Design: Met with an admissions counselor who seemed to like my work. The school was interesting but didn't wow me. It didn't seem to have many students who worked with figure painting which is the majority of my work. However, he gave a lot of good advice on what to include in my portfolio.

Concordia University in Montreal: The woman that I met with was very very nice but I don't think she liked my paintings until I told her that they were 7 feet tall. She got very excited then and told me to make sure to include that fact in some way into my artist statement. I showed one of the paintings that I brought with me and she started giggling saying "Oh my god do people still sign their artwork? No one does that anymore." Obviously, I felt extra extra extra stupid. I didn't know that was a thing. She then talked about how realism is falling out of fashion.

Parsons the New School for Design: I was in a sort of "screw it" mood by this point and there was only 45 minutes left. The woman I talked to was amazing. She liked my newer pieces and mentioned that I should consider incorporating multimedia aspects to my work. I didn't know much about the school so she explained that their program is interdisciplinary and they work towards educating well rounded artists instead of artists stuck to one field. For critiques they apparently bring in everyone to philosophers to poets to mathmaticians. I asked her if there was room at the school for artists looking at a more representational approach since the style is falling out of fashion (as the Concordia woman said). She laughed and said that everything falls out of fashion and it shouldn't matter. What should matter is the work itself and the devotion that the artist has for it. She then later said to make sure and set up an appointment with the schools that I'm applying to and get in touch with the faculty-- even if it's not Parsons. I'll definitely be applying here.

Some things to note if anyone goes in the future:

-Use your time wisely. Don't stand in line for schools with ridiculous lines just because they have a big name. Rhode Island, Cranbrook, WashU, School of the Art Institute of Chicago all had big lines.

-You're studying the schools as much as they're studying you.

-A lot of what everyone says is subjective.

-Get as many business cards as you can and follow through later.

Hope this helps anyone who goes in the future.

http://laurenwest-art.com/

I went. It was an interesting experience because I would go to one booth and they would tell me one thing and then go to the next and they would have a completely conflicting view. It definitely gave me something to think about but it was frustrating at times. Here is a basic recap of what happened:

Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts: I met with the dean of the school and had a very uplifting discussion about where my work was headed. He took photos of my work with his own phone, wrote down a lot of what I said on the back of my card, and gave me fantastic advice on which pieces to include in my portfolio. Asked me how I had heard of the school and I told him that I wanted to work with Alex Kanevsky who teaches there. Talked about him for a while. Then he gave a very thorough description on how the graduate school runs and what they expect. Definitely sold me on the school.

Tyler: Waited in line for a good 30 minutes. I was very excited to talk about the school but the representative seemed like he couldn't care less. I gave a brief discussion on my art and he didn't have anything to add except the fact that their school is very competitive. Didn't really seem to like my work. Asked me if I had talked to Pennslyvania Academy of Art because they work more with representational subjects. I thanked him for his time and left feeling dumb.

Columbus College of Art and Design: Met with an admissions counselor who seemed to like my work. The school was interesting but didn't wow me. It didn't seem to have many students who worked with figure painting which is the majority of my work. However, he gave a lot of good advice on what to include in my portfolio.

Concordia University in Montreal: The woman that I met with was very very nice but I don't think she liked my paintings until I told her that they were 7 feet tall. She got very excited then and told me to make sure to include that fact in some way into my artist statement. I showed one of the paintings that I brought with me and she started giggling saying "Oh my god do people still sign their artwork? No one does that anymore." Obviously, I felt extra extra extra stupid. I didn't know that was a thing. She then talked about how realism is falling out of fashion.

Parsons the New School for Design: I was in a sort of "screw it" mood by this point and there was only 45 minutes left. The woman I talked to was amazing. She liked my newer pieces and mentioned that I should consider incorporating multimedia aspects to my work. I didn't know much about the school so she explained that their program is interdisciplinary and they work towards educating well rounded artists instead of artists stuck to one field. For critiques they apparently bring in everyone to philosophers to poets to mathmaticians. I asked her if there was room at the school for artists looking at a more representational approach since the style is falling out of fashion (as the Concordia woman said). She laughed and said that everything falls out of fashion and it shouldn't matter. What should matter is the work itself and the devotion that the artist has for it. She then later said to make sure and set up an appointment with the schools that I'm applying to and get in touch with the faculty-- even if it's not Parsons. I'll definitely be applying here.

-Use your time wisely. Don't stand in line for schools with ridiculous lines just because they have a big name. Rhode Island, Cranbrook, Wash U, School of the Art Institute of Chicago all had big lines.

Woah- so so nice of you to post. Thank you! I'm a bit taken back by the comparison of fine art and fashion. What a statement. 

-Use your time wisely. Don't stand in line for schools with ridiculous lines just because they have a big name. Rhode Island, Cranbrook, Wash U, School of the Art Institute of Chicago all had big lines.

Thanks for posting this awesome report Lauren. It made me laugh (in the best of ways).

I have run into people from time to time who were in the MFA program at nyaa and all had positive reviews about their experiences there and all were exceptionally talented. Have you looked into it at all?

http://nyaa.edu/nyaa/academics.html

The SOP is the single greatest generator of self-doubt I've encountered. I'd rather be told my work is garbage than have to dig into myself and translate the findings into words. The process of writing about art makes me miss actual art making. ;_;

My portfolio will be added to/edited up until I click submit. The work I'm making at this time feels more genuine than many of the images currently in my portfolio. 

I totally feel you. I'm about 15 hours worth of work into my SOP for Michigan (my 1st choice). Things are starting to clear up now though. I am trying to look at my images subjectively (how would a stranger look at these) and decide the order in which they're submitted. Daunting. 

I'm with you on my current work. I think it's because I've been spending so much time writing and editing that it's all coming through into the piece. You can see I'm happy to work with my hands rather than talk with them. Good luck at VCU. Let us know how it goes. I'm heading to Michigan on Monday. 

I find "dig[ging] into myself and translat[ing] the findings into words very painful! Thinking ahead is much more enjoyable as long as it stays loose and open. It stimulates work...to a point...

Graduate National Portfolio Day

School of the Art Institute of Chicago; The first school I sat with was SAIC printmaking chair. (I didn't know that he was the Chair of printing making department) I was really nervous at first, because I’ve heard many SAIC portfolio review horror stories. I didn't really have anything to worry about really; the chair was taken back by the level of my work--especially considering that I was still a college junior. He went on to say that I would make a really good fit in SAIC printmaking department and recommend that I apply next year and start touring the school soon. He also noted that SAIC is looking for interdisciplinary printmaking, he felt my work embodied that ideology. As a result I have decided to place SAIC on my list of prospective schools to apply too next year. 

California College of the Arts; was my next table, the reviewer also took kindly to my work,  and mention how powerful the use of imagery was in my work. He also thought I would make a great fit.  He mention in the beginning that he was going to be very tough, but he wasn't, we talk some about their program he also mention how very competitive they are. He broke on how they accepted at least 10 applicants from each department (they DO NOT do wait-list), he also mention that I should come back to his table next year and look for him. He seemed excited. 

Alberta college of art and design;  was the most helpful, the lady I talk to really gave me a true portfolio review she was also very interested in my work. She mentions so many artist and books I should read, I have yet to do so, but I will soon. Sadly they don't have a fine art programs, but oddly enough the rep actually gave me the most inspiring portfolio review of the day. I always recommend going to smaller and empty tables, they always give the most in-depth reviews. Very positive response from Alberta college of art and design. The rep also confirmed that grades are not a key roll in admission for MFA, this was my concern as my GPA is below a 3.0 currently. She also had very low GPA but still was admitted to a top MFA school. 

University of Pennsylvania, School of Design, MFA Program. This is the only school that is on my list of school that I was going to apply for next year. The rep from this school had a really good poker face throughout the review, first she started off the review buy stating how very interdisciplinary program they had, basically it seemed that  they want look to see a variety of approaches in an applicants portfolio. While she looked over my images she didn’t say much, then when she was finally finish, she told me that I would make a great fit now for there program, she kept emphasizing on have different approaches was good, in the end she gave me her card and told me too visit and that Pennsylvania is a very beautifully city. University of Pennsylvania will for sure stay on my list I really love how they have their MFA shows in different country every year, that really sets them apart. I'm excited to apply and revisit their table next year.  

The last table I visited was Pratt, the rep was an actually printmaking instructor from Pratt and she didn’t look too nice. I got too talk too her about some of the critiques I've been receiving from critiques in school, she told me to discard some of the feedback and continue too make work. The printmaking rep deemed my work very 'accomplish; she was very avid about how I should apply and should visit the school next semester. 

In general I was very happy that I went, it's totally different when people who don't know your work responses well, to someone who has no clue who you  are responses just as well. I was confused if my work was successful on a MFA level, and seems that I'm headed in the right direction. One of rep told me that he would remember me next year for grad portfolio day, in turn I told him I hope he remember me when they're selecting portfolios for admissions. :D 

Edited by AKW94

Hello, I am new to this forum and I have found it to be an excellent resource so far. I plan on applying to several MFA programs for 2015 for fine arts-painting/drawing. Recently went to grad school portfolio day at SAIC and it was a great experience. I'll submit a longer review later this evening. Just thought I'd introduce myself and post a link to my work. Still developing my website but the tumblr site will work for now. Here is a link to my work, critiques welcome!

nicolasjroche.tumblr.com

So far I'm interested in the following programs:

1. Yale

2. Columbia

3. Rhode Island

4. Boston

5. Pratt

6. Parsons

7. VCU

8. Iowa

9. Wisconsin

10. Penn

11. Tyler

12. Mica-Hoffberger

Any other recommendations based on my work? Any west coast schools I should consider?

Thanks again for the help!

I have about a year left if all goes right here at NIU, painting. How far out do I start the visits and really narrow down my search for an MFA program. Any advise will be great.

Manchu,

It really depends on if you're really ready for school. I waited a couple years and was incredibly happy I did- my work is in a totally different place than when I first left undergrad. But look at facilities, faculty, whether the programs are traditional or interdisciplinary, where you want to live, what former grads are doing now and cost.

Hope that helps you begin your journey!

Ruth

Does anyone know if Carnegie Mellon is a good choice for drawing/painting/sculpture practice? I know it's a good school, but I don't hear too much about their art program. For some reason I'm drawn to it though.

Hi,

Does anyone have good info on low-res programs? specifically SVA 3 year low res? They call it MFA in "art practice" which is kinda funny.

Thank you!

Warap bathtub. Back to the run again?

SAIC looks good for low residency.... Bard obviously ....

Does anyone know if Carnegie Mellon is a good choice for drawing/painting/sculpture practice? I know it's a good school, but I don't hear too much about their art program. For some reason I'm drawn to it though.

Yes,  it's an excellent school all around. They have stellar facilities for sculpture. Are you applying to all three of those programs withing CM? Where else are you applying? a backup would be a smart plan as I believe they're quite exclusive.

CMU is supposed to be quite good, but expensive, with excellent resources. Pittsburgh is also a great city to be in now (undergoing a sort of revival). My program is about an hour east of there, and we make pretty frequent trips into the city for events and lectures (in which CMU is heavily involved).