MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Has anyone heard from SAIC painting this week?? I know people have been accepted and rejected already...I haven't heard anything! Called them a couple weeks ago and they said the rest of the decisions would be out this week... anyone? I'm not super optimistic since I didn't interview, but I just want to know!  

Anyone heard anything from NYU? Sorry I'm asking daily, it is just my last school to hear from and has been moved to top spot. If I don't get in, I'll be applying again next year.

Edited by tdevo412

Has anyone heard from SAIC painting this week?? I know people have been accepted and rejected already...I haven't heard anything! Called them a couple weeks ago and they said the rest of the decisions would be out this week... anyone? I'm not super optimistic since I didn't interview, but I just want to know!  

hey 

idk about saic tho, but i saw u also applied to nyu? did u hear anything after NYU's interview?

hey 

idk about saic tho, but i saw u also applied to nyu? did u hear anything after NYU's interview?

if only! I wasn't offered an interview....but haven't been rejected either

Congratulations! I interviewed at UCI and am on the wait-list.  For me, personally UCI being close to LA was a big draw, that's where its at on the west coast!  Also it being a free program is something to consider, I'm not sure what UCSD funding is like though.

Most Irvine students live and hang out in LA, and are part of the scene here. In my 5 years of hanging in LA they are popping up and involved. I rarely if never meet UCSD people around. That may or may not mean anything, there are so many micro art worlds.

I have heard that profs at Irvine have a pretty specific agenda, so maybe make sure you would want to work along those lines.

Did you end up hearing anything back? I know folks who have been accepted have until march 20th to accept the offer, so if you're waitlisted the wait might not be toooo long? I don't know if that makes you feel better or worse. I'm not 100% certain that I will accept, but it is pretty likely. 

Hi Kate_ho and onbeingblue, congratulations on getting accepted to grad school! Did either of you end up accepting the offer from PSU? I am on the waitlist there and was wondering if I would hear soon. Hoping for good news  :(

rejected from Columbia officially even though I definitely knew it was coming !! in actually really relieved cus I think I fell in love with SAIC when I was there and even I think a lot of hardworking artists come out of Columbia, my heart wasn't in it. Also for printmaking at least, Columbia isn't even top 10. I've never cared less about a rejection ha. Still annoying that it was by far the most expensive app tho -____-

rejected from Columbia officially even though I definitely knew it was coming !! in actually really relieved cus I think I fell in love with SAIC when I was there and even I think a lot of hardworking artists come out of Columbia, my heart wasn't in it. Also for printmaking at least, Columbia isn't even top 10. I've never cared less about a rejection ha. Still annoying that it was by far the most expensive app tho -____-

By mail or email?

Most Irvine students live and hang out in LA, and are part of the scene here. In my 5 years of hanging in LA they are popping up and involved. I rarely if never meet UCSD people around. That may or may not mean anything, there are so many micro art worlds.

I have heard that profs at Irvine have a pretty specific agenda, so maybe make sure you would want to work along those lines.

When I visited UCI, I noticed a particular agenda as well. I also just felt like the program was a little small and not very diverse. I felt they were a bit disconnected from the resources of the larger university. Edited by Coreythegiraffe

hi, sorry to divert, but i wanted to drop a line because i haven't seen a ton of graphic design people on here.

i recently graduated with a bio major and started working towards an mfa about a year ago, and navigating this process has been terribly confusing. thank god for this forum, or else i would have been totally lost.

by some miracle i actually got into a couple of programs, and now i'm struggling with how to choose and coming up with funding, etc. i've gotten it narrowed to three, saic's pmfa (3 year) viscomm (minimal funding), cca's mfa design (3 year graphic design track) (1/3 tuition), and pratt's mfa communications design (2 year) (no word on funding... the agony!).

anybody heard anything good/bad about these programs? they seem really different and i'm terrified (but also excited) about the prospect of having to choose. there's a lot i don't know, so i'm hoping to find a program that will help me develop a stronger, iterative design process, but also ultimately challenges me to the standard of an mfa. (and on another note, how does leveraging scholarships/finaid work? i don't want to be demanding, but tuition is expensiveee)

sorry for this novel of a post and the lack of capitalization.

tl;dr - saic pmfa viscomm (3yr)/ cca mfa design (3yr, w. 1/3 tuition)/ pratt mfa comD (2yr). help?

Have you visited those programs? A lot depends on how you will fit into the program and what kind of feeling you get from professors and students. They all may look great on paper but you'll have a very different understanding after visiting each program in person.

During my interview at RISD I've met a girl who was transferring form a 3 year MFA at CCA because she felt like there was no real community.

Each graphic design MFA program is very different, think about your goals after MFA: is it working as a commercial designer or being a more conceptual designer who is interested in a multidisciplinary practice, or maybe you'd even like to teach. SAIC seems to be the stronger program out of those three.

Check out what alumni and professors are doing and how does that align with your interests.

Hope this helps.

Edited by siia

Congratulations! I interviewed at UCI and am on the wait-list.  For me, personally UCI being close to LA was a big draw, that's where its at on the west coast!  Also it being a free program is something to consider, I'm not sure what UCSD funding is like though.

Thanks for the input! I think the funding should be comparable, although I'm still waiting for the details from SD. 

Thanks, this is good to know. I am an international student (Canada), and so I would only be able to stick around for about a year after graduating anyways. I am trying to figure out whether that makes those LA connections even more or less important.. hmmm.

I'm stuck between fully funded and stipend from University of Iowa and Hunter College with little to no funding.  Both for painting.  Any thoughts?

I think there are 4 big factors to choosing a school, 1) Cost 2) Faculty/Program 3) Quality of Students 4) Location.  I'd consider those, maybe in that order.  Hunter probably trumps Iowa in 2 or 3 of these, and as far as cost, it is relatively cheap for a school in nyc.  

I'm all for people not going into debt to get an MFA. So you have a tough decision.  I have heard of one potential downside to the funding and stipend deals at big state schools.  There can be a big divide between the recruited funded students and the regular classmates who are paying tuition and not getting to TA, and a stipend.  An important part of school is being with a like minded cohort and the comradery that results. If the quality of the students is mixed, it can be a big drag during crits, etc.  Not to be down on Iowa. Good art can be made anywhere, and Iowa is a great school, they have the amazing writing program there right?

Edited by kick87

Hi Kate_ho and onbeingblue, congratulations on getting accepted to grad school! Did either of you end up accepting the offer from PSU? I am on the waitlist there and was wondering if I would hear soon. Hoping for good news  :(

hi juniper! i did accept PSU's offer after i got word of some additional external funding to help sweeten the deal. i know based on an email with Ian that at least one of the applicants that they offered admission to is still deciding, as of a few days ago, so there may still be hope yet.

if anyone else is going to PSU please message me!! would love to connect since it's such a small program.

I'm stuck between fully funded and stipend from University of Iowa and Hunter College with little to no funding.  Both for painting.  Any thoughts?

I think there are 4 big factors to choosing a school, 1) Cost 2) Faculty/Program 3) Quality of Students 4) Location.  I'd consider those, maybe in that order.  Hunter probably trumps Iowa in 2 or 3 of these, and as far as cost, it is relatively cheap for a school in nyc.  

I'm all for people not going into debt to get an MFA. So you have a tough decision.  I have heard of one potential downside to the funding and stipend deals at big state schools.  There can be a big divide between the recruited funded students and the regular classmates who are paying tuition and not getting to TA, and a stipend.  An important part of school is being with a like minded cohort and the comradery that results. If the quality of the students is mixed, it can be a big drag during crits, etc.  Not to be down on Iowa. Good art can be made anywhere, and Iowa is a great school, they have the amazing writing program there right?

I've got a similar problem between Rutgers and Hunter. Which to choose.

To be quite honest, compared to actual problems, however, this is a truly first-world problem: I figure there is no losing here.

Nevertheless, there is still a decision to be made: which will help develop the work most, and which will help present the most future opportunities. I think those are the two main considerations.

Hi everyone, Long time lurker, first time poster. I have appreciated your insight and discussions about our admissions process. I've seen a handful of posts about NYU, and wanted to speak up and let you know that they are in the process of sending out acceptance emails; not all at once, but over a period of time. If you interviewed and haven't heard back, hang in there. Best of luck!

Hi everyone, Long time lurker, first time poster. I have appreciated your insight and discussions about our admissions process. I've seen a handful of posts about NYU, and wanted to speak up and let you know that they are in the process of sending out acceptance emails; not all at once, but over a period of time. If you interviewed and haven't heard back, hang in there. Best of luck!

THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH!

Edited by tdevo412