Northridge SLPA program

Has anyone done CSUN's post-bacc SLPA program? I just got accepted yesterday and start in a week and a half! Anyway, if you've done it, can you tell me how intense it is? I'm wondering if it's realistic to take a chem class and work part-time while in the program. I need to keep my grades up since I'll be applying to grad schools in the fall. TIA!

Yes. I've looked for school district SLPA jobs to get my fieldwork experience, but schools won't hire you without the certificate. This way, I can beef up my resume and work in the field--and get paid for it--until I finish a master's. It also gives me a career if I can't get in to grad school. :)

My daughter finished her BSc in CD this last semester and applied to few schools and got in basically same job as SLPA. She is working with SLP. You don't need to spend $$ in SLPA as I can see you already have your Bachelors in CD as well unless you area school districts doesn't allow those jobs without SLPA. CSUN SLPA is expensive. It probably too late for you because you probably have paid your fees for SLPA.

I asked same question of SLPA few months back and few people suggested not to do SLPA and still get job. I'm glad she listened to them and applied to few schools and got a job. The whole idea is to get an experience with kids.

This was the thread I was talking about.

Edited by dial1010usa

I haven't paid yet, but I definitely checked out other options before deciding to do this. It really depends on the district. Where I live, they have no openings for SLPAs, and they said if anything opens up, they'll only hire certified SLPAs. My hubby is in the military so we're stuck here for awhile and don't know where we'll go next. :/ I did even swing the idea of moving somewhere and being separated from my husband for a year, but I'd rather pay the $5000, be done in a semester, and not have to pay double rent for nine months. (I also have a guaranteed job at a local clinic once I finish).

I did apply for a school SLPA job in my tiny hometown in Nor Cal (where I know the SLPs and could live with my parents rent-free), but didn't get hired. The HR gal said I was their top choice qualifications-wise, but they had to go with someone who lived there that could commit to a longer term. (I would've only been able to stay one year).

However, for someone who is willing and able to relocate (or has a nearby school district who's hiring), you are absolutely right. I totally agree that it's better to save the money and work in a school district. If I were single, I'd do it in a heartbeat. :)

Edited by laurengreen1

I worked as an SLP with a credential waiver.  Look up the company TES(Total education solutions) and see if they have jobs in your area.  Also, check enjoin.org every day.  You can search for SLPA and then it will tell you if the job requires a certificate.  I went to CAL STATE NORTHRIDGE for my undergrad just to give you some background.  Most schools do not give you any extra points for being an SLPA.  ALL they want is that you have worked in similar fields, like tutor, Special ed assistant teacher, etc.  Any of the therapies also, like behavior therapist aide.  I would not spend the $5k for the SLPA program.  Especially since it was $4k just last year!  Thats crazy.   Get a part time job doing anything in a school working with kids.  Can also search those jobs on EDJOIN.ORG

Email the schools you are applying to as well and see if being an SLPA would "beef up" your application or if related job experience would work.

MEssage m e if you want more info or advice.

Mike

Thanks for the advice, but I'm still gonna go for the SLPA program. I already accepted the offer and think it would look bad to withdraw at this point. CSUN is my top choice for grad school and I don't want to hurt my chances by appearing flakey. I'm actually really excited--it's a good option for me! Also, it turns out that the military offers grants to spouses for certificate programs, so my out of pocket cost is less than $1000. (Total cost is $4875, not $5000, I was rounding before).

I have experience with kids in related fields (ESL, sped aide, tutor), but I really want to work specifically in SLP...I guess I'm doing this more for me than for my resume. I've been working in other fields--while knowing I wanted to go into SLP--for six years, and I'm ready to actually work in the field. That said, the benefits of getting a SLPA certificate outweigh the costs. First, I have a really great job offer waiting for me once I finish the program. Also, I will get to refresh my knowledge of the field and actually apply that knowledge in my fieldwork. I am so excited to finally start working in the field, even if it does require a little extra work and money! Also, if I don't get into grad school, I'll have a backup. :)

For the record, I tried to do this another way, but as I said, there are no SLPA/SLP jobs in my area that will allow for waivers of credentials. (TES doesn't even have my area listed as a search option and I've been religiously checking EdJoin and calling my school district since March).

Again, if anyone is reading this post who is considering doing a SLPA program, I agree with the other posters. Try first to get a job in your area. Depending on need, some schools will waive the credential requirements. (Mine, unfortunately, will not). I know someone who got a FT SLP job at a Riverside School District a couple years ago while she was in school (no license). I know another person who was enrolled in a Master's program that was hired as a SLPA (without a license) in NorCal. If they need you badly enough, there are ways around the rules. It really depends on where you live and what the needs of your area are. Alternately, you can work in related fields as Mike said. I was working as a SPED Aide, and I got to do speech lessons a few times a week--I loved it! It provided great experience and it was fun (although the pay was about 1/3 of what I made as an ESL teacher). Unfortunately, I had to quit because I broke my foot in four places and there is no way I can keep up with special needs preschoolers in my current condition.

Bottom line: Exhaust all other options before going for a SLPA certificate program. However, if you are really set on working specifically in the SLP field and there's no one in your area willing to hire you without a license, I say go for it.

Edited by laurengreen1