Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Well the waiting is over. I didn't get in.

:( this always feels terrible - trust me... I was rejected from a PhD application at carleton last year. It was the WORST! The good thing is that there are some pretty awesome opportunities to build your social services experience in Ottawa ( assuming you are in Ottawa now) ... And make some $$! This is all stuff no one wants to hear at the moment but it's really not that bad ... Chin up :)

cheekss
thank you -- that is so helpful and encouraging to hear! Persistence really pays off, it seems. I have only ever heard of Lakehead's HBSW program. Good to know there are others. If I don't get in this year I may work for a year and try the HBSW route (I didn't apply this year so not an option for this fall).

purplegrey -- I'm so sorry to hear that :( be kind to yourself today!

Well the waiting is over. I didn't get in. 

purplegrey I'm so sorry to hear that, I know how awful the feeling is, I hope you still get in to your other options. 

I've noticed that the majority of posters seem to really have their hearts set on either U of T or Laurier. What is it about these programs, in your opinion, that makes them better than the rest? One of my references and longtime mentors told me that U of T is stifling conservative and that I would not fit in there after having received my undergrad at York. 

EDIT: I'm not criticizing any programs. I genuinely want more information.

Edited by dexy77

I am leaning towards U of T for pragmatic reasons - it's an eight-month program as opposed to twelve-months, which is the length of UBCO's program. This is important to me for two reasons:

1. Going to U of T would mean being farther from my family in Calgary in the short-term, but it would allow me to move closer to them and start working at the end of April, which is four months earlier than if I went to UBCO.

2. By April I will be in some debt from student loans, so financially I cannot really afford to take that much extra time out of the workforce. I am doing my fourth year BSW practicum right now and not having an income is really stressful.

If UBCO were eight months (i.e. with practicum running concurrently with courses) I would go there in a heartbeat. It is a bit more clinical and more in line with my professional interests. Unfortunately, their practicum field guide says that they only grant Sept-April placements under exceptional circumstances. I could certainly apply to be considered as an exceptional circumstance, but this is not guaranteed. If I went to UBCO in the hope that they would grant me a Sept-April practicum and my request were denied, I would be stuck there for an entire year. At the very least, U of T would be finished with 100% certainty by April.

Anyone else facing these kind of annoying practical considerations as oppose to choosing the school purely based on where you want to study?

Edited by jjmr89

Has anyone heard anything from Ryerson?!? My partner just got an amazing job offer in Toronto so I think I'm going to take a risk and move back with him anyways (I'm currently in Alberta). I have my BSW so if I do not get in I will hopefully be able to find at least part-time work in the field. I think my MSW application was quite strong. I also have six months experience as a child protection worker, tons of volunteer experience (five years at a mental health organization, three years at a women's centre), two semesters as a teacher's assistant, and six months as a full-time undergrad research assistant. I also worked jobs relevant to social work every summer during my degree (at the mental health organization I volunteered at for five years). My GPA is 3.9/4.0. I really should not have banked on just Ryerson... but here's to hoping I get in!

dexy77 - I have never heard that UofT is conservative.  I wonder why anyone would say that.  For me Laurier was top on my list because of my location.  UofT was my second option because of how amazing the programs are, the specializations you can focus on, and of course it doesn't hurt that UofT is the number one school in Canada, and the only Canadian school to be in the top 20 in the world.  I didn't get into Laurier so now I am starting to get myself amped up for UofT and just deal with the commute :)

Just wondering - has anyone applied to UofT's Social Justice and Diversity stream?  It seems to be an uncommon one.

Trying to let go of the disappointment of Laurier and get myself excited about UofT again.  When all the decisions are in I would love to get a facebook group together for everyone starting the advanced standing program at UofT this fall.  It is nice to have other people to talk things through with.

I think the U of T reputation is not necessarily "conservative" but "clinical" and research-focused.  Hence their focus on applicants' stats marks as well as their close relationship with hospitals.  Other Toronto schools seem to have settled more into the social justice, anti-oppressive community organization niches. 

Which isn't to say that all schools don't have these elements to some degree, but they do tend to self-fulfill their reputations with clinical-minded, academic MSW students preferring to apply to u of t and AOP-focused grassroots activist types applying to, say, Ryerson.

wxyyyz - Except that UofT has a program specifically for Social Justice and Diversity.  I am definitely not the clinical-minded, academic type and the Social Justice and Diversity specialization seems very progressive.

Social work 93 I got into Carleton but I may not be going there so something might open up!

Also I applied to ryerson haven't heard anything yet! Smpalesh the social justice and diversity stream sounds very interesting I was thinking about it but decided on the children and their families, I am starting to think that might be the popular one lol

Still waiting hopefully we hear by next Tuesday. I need to let a school know by then

Social work 93 I got into Carleton but I may not be going there so something might open up!

Also I applied to ryerson haven't heard anything yet! Smpalesh the social justice and diversity stream sounds very interesting I was thinking about it but decided on the children and their families, I am starting to think that might be the popular one lol

Still waiting hopefully we hear by next Tuesday. I need to let a school know by then

your so sweet :P

what other schools have you applied to? 

Hey, did you receive this message? Now that I've calm down and I've actually read over it properly I think I got waitlisted as well? However I am definitely not believe in this waitlist stuff. The chances are so low (blah, I'm just upset). 

"Hello, the MSW Admission Committee has completed assessment of all MSW applicants and have made their decisions.  Your application was not put forward as part of the first round Admission Recommendations.  We have placed your name on our WaitList for the second round of offers if it is required.   After we have heard back from all our first round offer candidates and we have dropped below our target number, we would move to the Waitlist to make second round offers.

If you would like to remain on our waitlist can you please respond to this email to let me know.

I will be contacting you again if you want to remain on the list to advise you of any possible “condition(s)” that were flagged by the Admission Committee that might impact final admission offers.

We will not be ranking the Waitlist candidates until we hear back from everyone – probably late March/early April.

Thank you for considering our MSW program."  

same here... took it hard at first but im starting to feel better.  Its not over till its over. congrats!

I applied to that stream as well but for the 2 year program 

Just wondering - has anyone applied to UofT's Social Justice and Diversity stream?  It seems to be an uncommon one.

Trying to let go of the disappointment of Laurier and get myself excited about UofT again.  When all the decisions are in I would love to get a facebook group together for everyone starting the advanced standing program at UofT this fall.  It is nice to have other people to talk things through with.

Hey, did you receive this message? Now that I've calm down and I've actually read over it properly I think I got waitlisted as well? However I am definitely not believe in this waitlist stuff. The chances are so low (blah, I'm just upset). 

"Hello, the MSW Admission Committee has completed assessment of all MSW applicants and have made their decisions.  Your application was not put forward as part of the first round Admission Recommendations.  We have placed your name on our WaitList for the second round of offers if it is required.   After we have heard back from all our first round offer candidates and we have dropped below our target number, we would move to the Waitlist to make second round offers.

If you would like to remain on our waitlist can you please respond to this email to let me know.

I will be contacting you again if you want to remain on the list to advise you of any possible “condition(s)” that were flagged by the Admission Committee that might impact final admission offers.

We will not be ranking the Waitlist candidates until we hear back from everyone – probably late March/early April.

Did you get this message for the 2 year program?

That's a waitlist!!! don't lose hope for now this just means a bit of a longer wait.  

that means u got waitlisted i got the exact same email 

As tough as it can be to find placements in the Waterloo/Kitchener region you will find something!! If it makes you feel any better, last year I took a chance and decided that instead of doing a BSW placement near my campus on the east coast I was going to try to find one in the Greater Toronto area. It was tough!! But I landed a great family therapy placement in Oakville. If I can manage it coming from an east coast university that many people in the GTA haven't heard of, you should be able to find a great MSW placement in the KW region as a U of T student :)

Yes, I will be attending the program at UofT.  I don't really have a choice, I have to finish and start working.  I know many people would be thrilled to attend UofT, but I am afraid I won't be able to handle the commute or that I won't be able to find a placement in my home community.  And of course Laurier has been dream program for years.

I wish they would email rejections too. This is torture.  For a few minutes after I saw that you guys had been accepted I thought "Maybe they are still sending emails!  Maybe I will still be accepted!" but I know that is stupid because you guys heard before 9:30am and if I was going to I would have by now.

Heart broken.