Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

I applied to U of T's advanced stream as well; haven't heard anything back yet. I've been going out of my mind checking ROSI! I called Angela today, and she mentioned that all of the admission letters have not been sent out yet; it'll be done by mid-March (what else is new, sigh).

Gotta hang in there!

Good to know!

I applied to UBC-Okanagan and was accepted on Feb 13. Still majorly considering U of T though if I happen to be accepted there as well! What about yourself?

Congrats! I applied to Ryerson, UofT, and York…this waiting is torture

Congrats! I applied to Ryerson, UofT, and York…this waiting is torture

In previous years Ryerson sent out decisions early to mid March! I really hope something comes soon!!

Random thought, I was wondering, what happens to students who are in their 4th year of undergrad if their classes are being disrupted by the strike I remember one year the strike at York lasted months.

Does that mean if they get accepted to a program they can't attend until they have graduated? I know it is hard to get in straight from 4th year of undergrad but I was wondering what happens if you do but you can't finish your program in time for September. 

I feel really bad for students at York, I have to say I am glad I finished last year I would freak out if school had gone on strike literally 1 month before my last exams of undergrad. Good luck to anyone trying to finish up, hopefully this wraps up a lot quicker than it did in 08/09 

Edited to add: I found this on York's website (not sure if someone already posted this)  "No, the labour disruption will not interrupt the admissions process. The process will continue but may take a little longer."

Hello! I was at York for my last degree during the previous strike which lasted for 3 months before the government enacted back to work legislation. In order to compensate for the lost time, the school term was extended into the summer. What this meant was if you received a conditional offer of acceptance into another program, your acceptance would not be confirmed until your final grades were in. It did not affect whether you were offered admission, however.

EDIT: I'm also at York now, completing a degree and affected by this strike. Not happy about it but standing in solidarity with CUPE 3903. Contract faculty and TAs working conditions affect the quality of our education.

Edited by dexy77

I applied to U of T's advanced stream as well; haven't heard anything back yet. I've been going out of my mind checking ROSI! I called Angela today, and she mentioned that all of the admission letters have not been sent out yet; it'll be done by mid-March (what else is new, sigh).

Gotta hang in there!

AH! So did I! I even thought/still thinks I should hear back from them! :( I hope we hear something back! Noone else in my school has gotten accepted yet (as far as I know) (Im at Ryerson).

GAH! Each day passing day in March, my hope dwindles.

I also havent heard back from Windsor or York. This whole thing is shaking my confidence!

I have been rejected from Carleton and UVic (Program full), and waitlisted for Waterloo. Does anyone know how being waitlisted works? Do they inform you if a spot opens or the program is closed? I would be grateful for any info.

FYI 2 Year MSW applicants....

Hello,

Thanks for the updated Resume – it will be added to your file. This year, admission offer letters for the two-year MSW Program will be sent out from mid-March to mid-April. As decisions are mailed out, your status on the On-line application will be changed to Decision Made. By mid-April all MSW decisions will be sent out. Due to the high volume of applicants, we are not able to respond to messages regarding when a decision will be made on an application. We ask for your continued patience.

Best regards,

Angela Umbrello

Administrative Coordinator, Admissions & Programs

Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work, University of Toronto

Hello,

Thanks for the updated Resume – it will be added to your file. This year, admission offer letters for the two-year MSW Program will be sent out from mid-March to mid-April. As decisions are mailed out, your status on the On-line application will be changed to Decision Made. By mid-April all MSW decisions will be sent out. Due to the high volume of applicants, we are not able to respond to messages regarding when a decision will be made on an application. We ask for your continued patience.

Best regards,

Angela Umbrello

from Mid-March  :blink: that could mean beginning next week (I'm being hopeful lol)! That's a very different system from previous years, the online status didn't change for weeks after I received the letter. Thanks for the update!

AH! So did I! I even thought/still thinks I should hear back from them! :( I hope we hear something back! Noone else in my school has gotten accepted yet (as far as I know) (Im at Ryerson).

GAH! Each day passing day in March, my hope dwindles.

I also havent heard back from Windsor or York. This whole thing is shaking my confidence!

I'm from McMaster (post-degree BSW), and I haven't heard anything either. My updates are usually from this forum.

Longest week of our lives, haha!

Chrisseh5-when were you waitlisted for waterloo? I've been waiting to hear from them myself, but I figured waitlisting would be done when all offers were already made...ugh now I am assuming I will be getting a rejection letter!

Good luck!

Chrisseh5-when were you waitlisted for waterloo? I've been waiting to hear from them myself, but I figured waitlisting would be done when all offers were already made...ugh now I am assuming I will be getting a rejection letter!

Good luck!

Jennbe- I was waitlisted today (late this afternoon). Waterloo is my first choice so I am excited about not being rejected, but worried about getting spot. I didn't receive an email it showed up on quest. I will keep my fingers crossed for you! 

Hello,

Best regards,

Angela Umbrello

Speechless

Hi guys,

I hope you do not mind if I hijack this forum for a question about quality and orientation of social work schools in Canada. You are surely a knowledgeable group and there are no other Canadian social work education forums, so I hope that no one minds.

I have a BA but recently began a BSW at UVIC rather than an MSW because of a lack of formal experience in human and social services. The program seemed good because it allows me to keep working and despite being online, I assumed that its CASWE accreditation meant that its training was fairly standard vis a vis other social work programs.

Nope.

Unfortunately, this school has not been the fit that I anticipated because it has a theoretical and pedagogical approach that is not a good match. They do not teach basic clinical skills and the teaching is not is empirically-based. There is too much of an emphasis on critical reflection over teaching concrete information. Now of course, it is important for schools to emphasize critical skills, but I do not feel that this should be to the exclusion of the actual skills expected in the profession. I am strongly considering switching to another university, but I have missed all the deadlines for September. I am deeply worried that I will graduate without adequate skills to practice or do an MSW.

First, I am curious if anyone has an idea of how UVIC is perceived by other universities and by other social workers. I am afraid that this school will be perceived badly and torpedo my chances of getting into the MSW program that I want.

Second, I wonder which schools best emphasize empirical clinical education and social policy.

Third, is it worth it just to leave and get a job in the field and apply for the MSW in the Fall?

Fourth, is my practice experience ultimately going to be more important for an MSW than where I went to school? I have had a great practicum so far and I am looking forward to another great site). I am just a bit worried about looking ill-prepared because I have already been asked to do things that are not being taught at UVIC and that I have virtually no time to research independently!

Any insight would be so, so appreciated. I will also be calling around to social work program advisors in the coming weeks, but I imagine that they will be busy and it would be great to get student perspectives.

Edited by anonynon

I have been rejected from Carleton and UVic (Program full), and waitlisted for Waterloo. Does anyone know how being waitlisted works? Do they inform you if a spot opens or the program is closed? I would be grateful for any info.

From past experience applying to other professional programs, they basically email you when a spot opens up.  There is usually a waitlist shuffle that begins around May when students start rejecting admissions offers and others accept in their place. This happens all summer long. As spots open up, you will be contacted, but you could be waiting until August to be admitted or, just as easily be waiting until August with no response whatsoever. I know some programs have even admitted waitlisted students in early September.

Edited by anonynon

Sooooo...this whole U of T 2-year offers going out beginning at mid-March news has me frazzled. I know that some people haven't heard from U of T's Advanced Standing program yet, has anyone determined a pattern (if there is one)? Like if they're making offers alphabetically or something? Trying to gauge my likelihood of hearing earlier or not, if it's at all possible. 

I thoughtfully considered quitting this forum so I wouldn't be freaking out when other people start getting their decisions whilst my status stays the same, but I just don't have the willpower!

Sooooo...this whole U of T 2-year offers going out beginning at mid-March news has me frazzled. I know that some people haven't heard from U of T's Advanced Standing program yet, has anyone determined a pattern (if there is one)? Like if they're making offers alphabetically or something? Trying to gauge my likelihood of hearing earlier or not, if it's at all possible. 

I thoughtfully considered quitting this forum so I wouldn't be freaking out when other people start getting their decisions whilst my status stays the same, but I just don't have the willpower!

No theories on pattern. My last name is the beginning - middle of the alphabet. I thought maybe it was going by stream, but then that theory was burst. I suspect it is likely by application score. Highest go first, then the last applicants duke it out for acceptance vs waitlist spots. I think this because I don't think any rejections have gone out yet.

Hang in there!

Hello,

Best regards,

Angela Umbrello

Oh dear god I don't think I can handle this. We could hear in a few weeks! Like. AGH. I am so scared and so nervous I almost don't want to know, put off the inevitable? God damn this is tough.

Hi guys,

I hope you do not mind if I hijack this forum for a question about quality and orientation of social work schools in Canada. You are surely a knowledgeable group and there are no other Canadian social work education forums, so I hope that no one minds.

I have a BA but recently began a BSW at UVIC rather than an MSW because of a lack of formal experience in human and social services. The program seemed good because it allows me to keep working and despite being online, I assumed that its CASWE accreditation meant that its training was fairly standard vis a vis other social work programs.

Nope.

Unfortunately, this school has not been the fit that I anticipated because it has a theoretical and pedagogical approach that is not a good match. They do not teach basic clinical skills and the teaching is not is empirically-based. There is too much of an emphasis on critical reflection over teaching concrete information. Now of course, it is important for schools to emphasize critical skills, but I do not feel that this should be to the exclusion of the actual skills expected in the profession. I am strongly considering switching to another university, but I have missed all the deadlines for September. I am deeply worried that I will graduate without adequate skills to practice or do an MSW.

First, I am curious if anyone has an idea of how UVIC is perceived by other universities and by other social workers. I am afraid that this school will be perceived badly and torpedo my chances of getting into the MSW program that I want.

Second, I wonder which schools best emphasize empirical clinical education and social policy.

Third, is it worth it just to leave and get a job in the field and apply for the MSW in the Fall?

Fourth, is my practice experience ultimately going to be more important for an MSW than where I went to school? I have had a great practicum so far and I am looking forward to another great site). I am just a bit worried about looking ill-prepared because I have already been asked to do things that are not being taught at UVIC and that I have virtually no time to research independently!

Any insight would be so, so appreciated. I will also be calling around to social work program advisors in the coming weeks, but I imagine that they will be busy and it would be great to get student perspectives.

Hey! I'm currently in the U Vic program. I agree, there is a lack of actual skills being taught, probably because the program is online and it is hard to facilitate this kind of learning over the internet. I took it for the same reasons as you did - I was grateful it would allow me the opportunity to keep working. I also had a BA from another university and felt as though the BSW would provide me with the experience I needed to get into an MSW program in the future.

I wouldn't be too concerned about getting accepted to MSW programs. I was accepted to UBC-O for my MSW this fall (still waiting on a possible acceptance to U of T in the coming weeks). I had good grades, good experience, and wrote what I believe is a solid admissions statement. I think these things were far more important than the reputation of the program in the field. To be honest, I think a lot of social work learning comes from practicum, so if you think your practicum now is solid, then finding another great one for fourth year should make up for some of the deficits in the U Vic program.

As far as clinical schools go, UBC-O and U of Calgary are known to be very clinical/therapy-oriented. U of T is as well, but from what I can tell based on the degree requirements it is more research-focused than the other two. It still has a solid base of clinical skills, but not as much of a focus on them as UBC-O and U of Calgary. I might be missing schools with a clinical focus here, so others can feel free to chime in if they would like, but I researched A LOT when I applied to my MSW last fall - legit went to every website for every MSW school in Canada, including the ones in Quebec (I speak French fluently). And from what I could see, UBC-O, Calgary, and U of T were the major clinical schools. Actually, from reading this forum, it seems like Laurier might be as well? Though I did not get that impression when I went to their website. Anyways, other programs had clinical components in them (I think I remember UNBC having options to do some courses of that nature), but for the most part, schools like U Vic, UBC, Carleton, U de Montréal, McGill, etc. were more focused on other things, such as policy or research.

Having gone through the entire U Vic BSW and the application process for my MSW, and knowing your interest in clinical work, I would recommend sticking it out with the U Vic program and make sure you go to a clinical school for your MSW to fill in the gaps in your learning. Just know that getting into a clinical MSW with a BSW from U Vic is not at all improbable! I've tried to look at it positively... the MSW program will fill in the gaps, and the U Vic program gave me a solid base of critical/postmodern thinking from which to work. The two don't have to be inconsistent :)

Edited by jjmr89

No theories on pattern. My last name is the beginning - middle of the alphabet. I thought maybe it was going by stream, but then that theory was burst. I suspect it is likely by application score. Highest go first, then the last applicants duke it out for acceptance vs waitlist spots. I think this because I don't think any rejections have gone out yet.

Hang in there!

My guess is that it has less to do with "alphabetical order" or "specialization streams" and more to do with the deadlines that other universities have placed on their acceptances. In other words, if I remember correctly U of T has typically been the last school to send out their letters to applicants which I imagine is why their waitlist might see a bit more movement than other schools. It's nice to see that they're doing this earlier as it will also make the decision process for students a little less costly since I read somewhere that there is a deposit or fee students pay to hold their acceptance/spot.  

Edited by blh22

My guess is that it has less to do with "alphabetical order" or "specialization streams" and more to do with the deadlines that other universities have placed on their acceptances. In other words, if I remember correctly U of T has typically been the last school to send out their letters to applicants which I imagine is why their waitlist might see a bit more movement than other schools. It's nice to see that they're doing this earlier as it will also make the decision process for students a little less costly since I read somewhere that there is a deposit or fee students pay to hold their acceptance/spot.  

I believe York is usually the last school, 2 years ago people were getting letters into May :| whereas last year I received it 2 weeks after UofT sent my letter (pretty much end of April).

I find it interesting that they would be finishing up earlier this year considering that (based on the forum) not all the advanced standing students have heard yet.

Unfortunately York said to expect delays for admissions this year because of the strike :(

I also find it interesting Angela states that the online status will change to "decision made" I wonder whether that is true or if that is just a standard statement.. 

so many questions, so little patience haha

Edited by b39

Anyone feel that U of T sends out their admission decisions based on highest score?

That is my theory. I know other grad programs that do the same ... 

What do you guys think?

Also - do you think its too late to update my resume and resend an updated version?  

first round of applicants have been offered admission. Second round MAY go out after the responses have been received. I think I saw somewhere on an acceptance letter that they had to respond in a month. I believe the first round of applicants received their offer March 11th! If you are still waiting for U of T you may hear back around that time. They are prob waiting for all the responses before sending out rejection letters. That my take on it. I doubt it has to do with alphabetical order or grades specifically!