Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Crazy I just got accepted to York . I was seriously convinced I didn't make the cut. Such weird way of informing people smh

Congrats!  I'm doing my advanced standing there next year. Exciting!!!!!!

I'm not sure if this question has been answered yet or not, but does anyone know whether U of T has sent out any rejection letters for their MSW program? Or do those get sent out at the end? I saw a bunch of theories about rejecting people last to see if more spots open, however would they not reject a baseline number of people first who they felt didn't make the cut?

I guess we'll all know soon enough anyway, but just curious. :)

Also, does anyone know if it would be a better idea to go into the post-degree BSW program, or to continue working in the field? I have an Honours Degree in Psychology and currently have a job in the social services field, so is it more valuable to stay in the field and gain those experience hours? My GPA in my final year of undergrad is an A, so I am just wondering if accumulating experience would be more valuable at this point. Any guidance would be helpful :)

Hello everyone! First time posting, but I've been following the board for a while now. My application status for Windsor's 2 year program is still "Referred to Department". Is this code for rejected? I've noticed some people have already heard responses from Windsor. Thanks :)

Hello everyone! First time posting, but I've been following the board for a while now. My application status for Windsor's 2 year program is still "Referred to Department". Is this code for rejected? I've noticed some people have already heard responses from Windsor. Thanks :)

Me and my partner both applied for the MSW @ Windsor and we both got rejection emails the same day, pretty much at the same time. So, as long as you didn't get a rejection letter from Windsor, I would say your Okay :) 

I got my rejection in an email on March 18, 2015 at lunch time! 

I would say your definitely still on the list :)

I *COULD* be wrong (!!!), but I think I read last year someone's status changed to referred to the department and that meant they got in. 

I think, from other grad programs I know of, referred to the department means that if you also had to apply to the school, they have given you the OK and then referred you on to the social work department to make a final decision. So, for U of T I had to apply to the school of graduate studies AND the social work program. If SGS decided I wasn't a good candidate, they wouldn't have referred my application to the school of social work to look at.

I feel like its much the same status as "forwarded to selection committee" which is where my StU application is hanging out at. Mostly, it's not a rejection so don't lose hope just yet! I think the most important thing to remember for everyone right now is no news is still good news - or at the very least it isn't yet bad. Good luck!!

Is anyone else still obsessively checking their ROSI / other places for status updates even though it is well past business hours??! At least I've cut it down to once every hour as opposed to like once every five minutes....

I *COULD* be wrong (!!!), but I think I read last year someone's status changed to referred to the department and that meant they got in. 

I do not think this is true. Mine has said "referred to the department" ever since they received all my documents. It means no news for now!

I have been doing the same. I wish we would just hear back from at least Laurier OR UofT! It's been over 1 month since I've received news and I'm so... tired of waiting! I just want to know, especially before going into my finals! I do feel like I've lost all hope though so I want to know as soon as possible so I can walk my butt to the SAQ and get a great bottle of wine, a tub of ice cream, and watch my favorite shows all night, and the next day sign up for all these amazing painting/hot yoga classes for the summer :D haha. 

Is anyone else still obsessively checking their ROSI / other places for status updates even though it is well past business hours??! At least I've cut it down to once every hour as opposed to like once every five minutes....

A question to anyone who has accepted their offer of admission to U of T: Did you sign and mail out your form to accept the offer or is it possible to scan and email to department? Also, do you know if it is possible to pay the deposit on ROSI instead of sending out a certified cheque/money order?

Also a question for everyone... I just started a child protection job that typically requires a BSW/MSW degree, but I got it with related experience. Think it is worth getting in touch with grad schools I haven't heard a decision from to let them know I would have 6 more months of relevant experience and awesome training before I begin grad school or will they look at that negatively? (And I agree with PurpleGrey ^^^ I just want a little holiday to eat ice cream, watch Netflix, do yoga and paint once this is all sorted out  :) )

I have been doing the same. I wish we would just hear back from at least Laurier OR UofT! It's been over 1 month since I've received news and I'm so... tired of waiting! I just want to know, especially before going into my finals! I do feel like I've lost all hope though so I want to know as soon as possible so I can walk my butt to the SAQ and get a great bottle of wine, a tub of ice cream, and watch my favorite shows all night, and the next day sign up for all these amazing painting/hot yoga classes for the summer :D haha. 

This sounds like a lovely idea lol! I look forward to the day after I submit my thesis and finish my exams! But everything would go a lot more smoother if I just knew already! And, I could totally go for some hot yoga classes, wine, ice cream, and lot of time to put towards creative activities!! :)

Edited by ShayRonee93

A question to anyone who has accepted their offer of admission to U of T: Did you sign and mail out your form to accept the offer or is it possible to scan and email to department? Also, do you know if it is possible to pay the deposit on ROSI instead of sending out a certified cheque/money order?

Just curious, how much is the deposit to hold the position/accept your spot?

For those of you admitted to York did you receive more than 9000? My email said minimum of 9000, not sure if there is a possibility of more and if the official acceptance letter would state??? 

Did any of you receive more? I am very content but just want to know!!!

Edited by Prairiegirl2015

I just discovered this is a thing. You can search a graduate school and the program and it gives you all the results in terms of when someone got accepted! It is much more efficient 

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=university+of+toronto+social+work&t=a&o=&pp=25

mika_aria - Honestly, it is likely too late to add anything at this point.  They know people submit applications in December and they know people will continue to live after that point so many people will have more experience by the time school would start.  They base your application based on your stats at the time of application.  Expecting them to review updated information for hundreds of applicants is not realistic.

I signed and mailed it out with registered mail to make sure they got it, and I got an email from Angela a few days later with a "welcome to the program we've received your acceptance" type message. I also submitted my cheque by mail, there's no way to pay it on ROSI because it's not like a typical payment, but you can always ask. I doubt they would be okay with scanning because I feel like otherwise they would state it as it would be more convenient for everyone...they probably do what they do for a reason.

I accepted my offer to York.... and I'm still waiting to hear from U of T. I'm 99% sure I'll attend York. I just want to see if I get in to U of T, not because I'll go but more out of curiosity, I guess (to see if I get in or not, I mean).

No matter how I look at it, though, it would cost me about $30,000 more to attend U of T. I got $21k in funding from York, and U of T's tuition is $9-10k more than York. And I wouldn't get any money from U of T... so that's a ~$30k difference. So even if I do get into U of T, I just really wouldn't be able to justify it in my head. York wasn't my top choice but it's a good program and has sort of unfolded as an amazing/unexpected opportunity.

For those of you admitted to York did you receive more than 9000? My email said minimum of 9000, not sure if there is a possibility of more and if the official acceptance letter would state??? 

Did any of you receive more? I am very content but just want to know!!!

That person did? 

Anyway, I got 9000 and it is as a TAship or GAship or research position (TBD) and apparently funding can changed based on getting scholarships/bursaries. (I assume they would guarantee less in those cases).

The official letter lays it out a little better, but most of the details are still unclear for me - e.g. timing of funding, how hours work, etc.

I signed and mailed it out with registered mail to make sure they got it, and I got an email from Angela a few days later with a "welcome to the program we've received your acceptance" type message. I also submitted my cheque by mail, there's no way to pay it on ROSI because it's not like a typical payment, but you can always ask. I doubt they would be okay with scanning because I feel like otherwise they would state it as it would be more convenient for everyone...they probably do what they do for a reason.

Thanks. Just hoping for an easier way, haha.

I wonder if we can just drop it off in person? One of my jobs is only about a 10 minute walk away from the social work building...