Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

If you have an undergrad degree in a related field with relevant work/volunteer experience, you should be good to apply for a pre-masters program in Social Work. Some programs require a 4 year degree, but not all do. For instance, the UofM Pre-Masters Social Work program doesn't, but they do require related work experience. I would contact the department heads of the programs you'd like to get into for further assistance.

I read in last year's forum that someone who was waitlisted for Thunder Bay contacted the student advisor from the department of Social Work to seek feedback for her application. They told her the score of her application as well as explained which areas her application was lacking in. Which is super useful when reapplying.

What exactly is a pre-MSW program? 

Edited by gakattack

What exactly is a pre-MSW program? 

People who have completed undergraduate degrees (standards on pre-req's differ between schools, but generally it's an undergrad) in a related field can apply for a post-degree BSW which is like a fast-track BSW. Instead of taking 4 years to do an entire undergraduate degree in social work you can finish it in 1 or 2 years (depending on the institution). So it's like a short-cut, and after you complete it you are eligible to apply to any social work program in Canada, which is awesome because maaaaany universities require a BSW for entry into the MSW. Also, getting into advanced standing MSW programs seems to be less competitive at many schools (also, depends on institution).

Accepted to U of T's MSW program!!! 

My rosi must have updated sometime in the last 24 hours! :D

Now how the hell am i supposed to pay for this...

Sorry to be a Debbie downer but there's too many people on this forum who have been accepted for me to have any hope left. So I'm now just switching focus to plan b.

I think my weakness would definitely be my grades. Does anyone have experience with doing online classes to improve grades? Through Athabasca or something? I have no idea how this works. How do the schools view these extra random courses outside of degrees... Is there any point to doing it or do they not count? Anyone with some advice for me?

For those who have not heard back from UofT, do not give up, Angela did say that acceptances will be going out until mid-April. There is still another 2 weeks! Always have faith and be positive!

Sorry to be a Debbie downer but there's too many people on this forum who have been accepted for me to have any hope left. So I'm now just switching focus to plan b.

I think my weakness would definitely be my grades. Does anyone have experience with doing online classes to improve grades? Through Athabasca or something? I have no idea how this works. How do the schools view these extra random courses outside of degrees... Is there any point to doing it or do they not count? Anyone with some advice for me?

There was someone on this forum a few years ago (I think for the 2013 start) and they did not get accepted the first time they applied then they went back and boosted their GPA and got in the next year, this was for advanced standing @ UofT if I remember correctly. Also someone else mentioned that if your research methods mark is really low but overall GPA is high it can give you a disadvantage, that grade is apparently really important to UofT. 

I'm not sure what your GPA was but I know people do get in with mid-Bs and B+ if they have lots of experience, so if you don't have that experience then maybe going back to boost would help make the application overall stronger. I really hope you hear back some good news though! I gave up completely and was registering for plan B then this happened so you never know :) 

I'm really keeping fingers crossed that you all hear back some good news!

Hey! I was accepted into WLU 2-year MSW yesterday. A question for those of you accepted: when I go into Loris, the acceptance page makes a couple references to "the funding package listed above" etc, but then doesn't specify any funding offered. Is this just a general sentence that everyone got, regardless of being offered funding?

Thanks/congratulations/good luck to everyone still waiting!

Hi everyone,

Congratulations on all the acceptances! For those who haven't heard yet, don't give up hope yet!!

I have a question UofT vs. Laurier.. I was accepted into UofT a few weeks ago and I immediately chose that one bc that program was #1 in my mind. I also didn't think I would ever be accepted at Laurier due to the number of hours of experience they generally require. However, I found out this morning that I did get into Laurier!  

What does everyone think about the two schools, comparing them to each other? - reputation, training, program courses, placements,
The only comparison I've ever heard is - Laurier has better training while Toronto has better placements.. do you think this is true? do you have other comparisons?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by ChristinaB1990

Hi everyone,

Congratulations on all the acceptances! For those who haven't heard yet, don't give up hope yet!!

I have a question UofT vs. Laurier.. I was accepted into UofT a few weeks ago and I immediately chose that one bc that program was #1 in my mind. I also didn't think I would ever be accepted at Laurier due to the number of hours of experience they generally require. However, I found out this morning that I did get into Laurier!  

What does everyone think about the two schools, comparing them to each other? - reputation, training, program courses, placements,

The only comparison I've ever heard is - Laurier has better training while Toronto has better placements.. do you think this is true? do you have other comparisons?

Thanks for your help!

I've personally heard the opposite about Laurier! That the training is okay but it is not the greatest while the placements at Laurier pretty good! I don't know much about the U of T program though so I can't really comment on that! Good luck with your decision though :)

There was someone on this forum a few years ago (I think for the 2013 start) and they did not get accepted the first time they applied then they went back and boosted their GPA and got in the next year, this was for advanced standing @ UofT if I remember correctly. Also someone else mentioned that if your research methods mark is really low but overall GPA is high it can give you a disadvantage, that grade is apparently really important to UofT.

I'm not sure what your GPA was but I know people do get in with mid-Bs and B+ if they have lots of experience, so if you don't have that experience then maybe going back to boost would help make the application overall stronger. I really hope you hear back some good news though! I gave up completely and was registering for plan B then this happened so you never know :)

I'm really keeping fingers crossed that you all hear back some good news!

I had an 84 in research methods so I'm not sure if that's worth upgrading just to maybe get a few percent higher. I have a b+ overall for the last 2 years. I think the main issue is that although it evens out to a b+, I had an A in some courses and a b- in others. My grades are pretty varied it probably makes me look like an inconsistent student. I was hoping since I got an A in both of my practicum courses and my lower marks were electives, they would be ok with it. I felt comfortable with my experience, I have about 4000 paid hours for child protection (though only 1400 of that is Canadian) and 400 volunteer hours working with crown ward youth plus 350 practicum hours.

Once I get the letter I will email to ask for feedback but just wondering what other people have done when they were in my position.

Edited by Bettyg

Hello everyone,

First off, congratulations to everyone who has heard from Laurier today! It is nice to see they are getting back to applicants before mid april!

Also, for anyone who did not see the link before but would like to join, I created a Facebook group named U OF T- FACTOR INWENTASH M.S.W (2-YEAR) CLASS OF 2017

Link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1418122681835473/

Please join! :) 

I was accepted to Laurier yesterday at 2:30!!! Congrats everyone who got in!!! I can't wait to meet future classmates! Can we also have a Facebook group?! :) Anyone interested in making one? 

Edit: just checked my emails and it was at 2:10

Edited by purplegrey

Hey! I was accepted into WLU 2-year MSW yesterday. A question for those of you accepted: when I go into Loris, the acceptance page makes a couple references to "the funding package listed above" etc, but then doesn't specify any funding offered. Is this just a general sentence that everyone got, regardless of being offered funding?

Thanks/congratulations/good luck to everyone still waiting!

Yeah, I looked into that and that "funding package" part is a generic line. They send the same link to everyone who is accepted to grad school at Laurier. They do not give funding for professional degrees. Personally I think its confusing and they should remove it.

I completely agree! I read it over so many times. I got the same generic line - no funding. 

Yeah, I looked into that and that "funding package" part is a generic line. They send the same link to everyone who is accepted to grad school at Laurier. They do not give funding for professional degrees. Personally I think its confusing and they should remove it.

I was accepted to Laurier yesterday at 2:30!!! Congrats everyone who got in!!! I can't wait to meet future classmates! Can we also have a Facebook group?! :) Anyone interested in making one? 

Hey! I didn't realize that you got accepted!! This may sound weird but I was totally rooting for you after reading your comments on this forum. CONGRATS!!

Am I the only one that keeps checking ROSI to see that the "invite" is still there and its not April Fools joke? lol. I will probably be doing that until I get the letter in the mail...

Am I the only one that keeps checking ROSI to see that the "invite" is still there and its not April Fools joke? lol. I will probably be doing that until I get the letter in the mail...

I got the letter already and I STILL check Hahahaha it's been just an idea for so long it's going to take some getting used to :)

Aweee :) That's so sweet, thank you!!! :) :) I'm so excited! It still feels like a dream! I can't even believe it! Yay! Are you accepting Laurier, or you're still waiting on other offers? 

Hey! I didn't realize that you got accepted!! This may sound weird but I was totally rooting for you after reading your comments on this forum. CONGRATS!!

Fingers crossed for you! Don't loose hope yet! There is still time

Ahhh so more people are getting accepted to Laurier today?? I will be obsessively checking my email and ROSI now today lol :(. Although I'm starting to lose hope.

ahhh purplegrey CONGRATS!!!

Like Lean_N I also feel like I was rooting for you, after reading all your comments, lol!

Do you think you'll go to Laurier or hold out to get off the Carleton waitlist/into U of T?

Congrats again to everyone who has been receiving acceptances!! It wasn't so long ago that it felt like they would never come! If you're still waiting, I really do think that no news is still good news at this point.

Fingers crossed for you! Don't loose hope yet! There is still time

Thank you!! I feel like I keep going back and forth with hope! I do hope I at least get waitlisted. I got rejected last year and it was not a nice feeling, but definitely did better with grades and experience this year and spent a lot more time on my statements so I think this year if I'm rejected its going to be much more of a bummer! It's so nice to see how supportive everyone is. Congrats on your offer btw!

Ahhhh I don't know, I'm just still so excited! I can't stop dancing everywhere, haha. Um... as of right now I accepted Laurier and I'm going to Laurier but if Carleton comes to me with an offer I'll have to assess the situation then. I really don't know what I would do. Carleton was my first choice  because it's not far from Montreal and my partner's family. Also, my partner and I wouldn't mind establishing ourselves in Ottawa so in terms of the future it would be perfect, but on the other hand I'm assuming Waterloo might have cheaper living expenses etc (which I'm not sure of) so it honestly depends on finances, our future plans, future work opportunities, so many things. I really don't know. We would have to sit down and write our pros and cons list and seriously consider both options. As of right now however, I'm choosing to believe that I am attending Laurier :) 

ahhh purplegrey CONGRATS!!!
Like Lean_N I also feel like I was rooting for you, after reading all your comments, lol!

Do you think you'll go to Laurier or hold out to get off the Carleton waitlist/into U of T?

Congrats again to everyone who has been receiving acceptances!! It wasn't so long ago that it felt like they would never come! If you're still waiting, I really do think that no news is still good news at this point.