Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

In regards to the question about Lakehead what I would personally do is accept Lakehead and then when the program is due to start take yourself off the waitlist for other schools.  There is no sense driving yourself crazy like that and it would be very difficult to withdraw from a program at the last minute. 

Hello Cathy,

I've been accepted into the 1-year HBSW at Lakehead Orillia campus! I am hoping I still either get into Laurier or U of T, but if not, Lakehead is my back up plan! 

Whats the program like now that it's coming close to the end, and were many people able to finish it in under a year? 

Also, if you live on residence, can you talk about you experiences, what residence you would recommend, and your experiences with the food/meal plan? 

Lastly, did you mind starting the academic year in July? --It terrified me because if I am put on a waiting list for an MSW, I wouldn't be able to "wait around" if lake head starts in July. 

Would love to hear anything you have to say about your experiences overall and the program! 

Thanks! :)

Hey,

Congrats on getting in :) and good luck with the rest of your applications.

Before starting the program I was actually really confused about the setup of the program. It is 1 year but you really on need to be in Orillia for 6 weeks in the summer and then from September to early December. In the summer, I think our first class was January 2nd or 3rd, you complete 3 courses 1 at a time, totalling 6 weeks of courses. I was  except from the the 1000 level social work class as I took it in my undergrad, that was great as it saved me about 1200$. Once you are done those 3 courses you are off until after labour day in September when fall semester begins. On a side note, I did hear whisperings that these courses could become online courses but who knows if they were able to make that happen.  The summer courses weren't that difficult but they were intense, we were in class 9am-4pm and then spent evenings studying. 

In the fall semester I took 5 courses, 3 of which were full year courses condensed into one semester. You do have the option though to take one of the half credit courses online in the spring instead. It is definitely a heavy course load but manageable. There is quite a bit of group work and at times it was hard to schedule meetings because of everyone's work load. None of the courses had final exams (there were tests in some courses) so most people were gone by about December 3rd, although I had papers due after this date. I was fortunate in that I had great landlords who didn't make me pay December rent. 

Placement runs from January to June and from January until April you do 1 or 2 online courses (depending on what you did in the fall) along with an online placement course. I have found the courses to be quite easy. Pretty much everyone in the program returned to their hometown to complete their placement. The placement coordinators will work with you to get a placement and will do all the leg work including making the initial contact (they tell you not to make any calls yourself). 

I did not live in residence so I can't speak too much about it. Out of 40 people in the program I think there was 6 that lived in residence. There is only one residence on campus which is relatively new and I believe all the rooms are singles that share a bathroom with their neighbour. The food on campus is quite good, most things are made to order and customizable. The head chef would frequently ask students for food suggestions. I should also mention that the campus is tiny, 3 buildings, the residence, the cafe/bookstore, and the academic building. From what I could tell residence was pretty pricey so if you are able to find a place to rent from July-Dec then I would recommend it. A few people tried commuting from the GTA but within a few weeks it became to much and ended up moving to Orillia, I think one ended up renting a motel room a few nights a week and then going home on weekends. Some people did commute from closer areas like Barrie and that seemed to work out much better. If you do decide to move their send me a pm and I can give you some suggestions of where to look.

Overall I liked the program. Most of the profs were great and open to helping were they could. It was pricey and time consuming but for me it was a means to an end as I hoped it would open up more careers opportunities. An unexpected bonus was meeting some really awesome people. Since the program is so small and since most people moved from out of town you bond with people pretty quick. 

I hope you hear from the other school's well before July, a 2 year program is definitely the way to go. I had only applied to the bsw so starting in July wasn't difficult for me, in fact it was helpful as I had just finished up a contract position. I applied to the advanced standing MSW at UofT this year and have been waitlisted, in hindsight I wish I had applied for the 2 year program to begin with. 

Hah so that began a lot longer of a response than expected but I hope it gives you a better understanding of the program. I found it really difficult to find out information about the program before going. 

Edited by Ballym385

Hey,

Congrats on getting in :) and good luck with the rest of your applications.

Before starting the program I was actually really confused about the setup of the program. It is 1 year but you really on need to be in Orillia for 6 weeks in the summer and then from September to early December. In the summer, I think our first class was January 2nd or 3rd, you complete 3 courses 1 at a time, totalling 6 weeks of courses. I was  except from the the 1000 level social work class as I took it in my undergrad, that was great as it saved me about 1200$. Once you are done those 3 courses you are off until after labour day in September when fall semester begins. On a side note, I did hear whisperings that these courses could become online courses but who knows if they were able to make that happen.  The summer courses weren't that difficult but they were intense, we were in class 9am-4pm and then spent evenings studying. 

In the fall semester I took 5 courses, 3 of which were full year courses condensed into one semester. You do have the option though to take one of the half credit courses online in the spring instead. It is definitely a heavy course load but manageable. There is quite a bit of group work and at times it was hard to schedule meetings because of everyone's work load. None of the courses had final exams (there were tests in some courses) so most people were gone by about December 3rd, although I had papers due after this date. I was fortunate in that I had great landlords who didn't make me pay December rent. 

Placement runs from January to June and from January until April you do 1 or 2 online courses (depending on what you did in the fall) along with an online placement course. I have found the courses to be quite easy. Pretty much everyone in the program returned to their hometown to complete their placement. The placement coordinators will work with you to get a placement and will do all the leg work including making the initial contact (they tell you not to make any calls yourself). 

I did not live in residence so I can't speak too much about it. Out of 40 people in the program I think there was 6 that lived in residence. There is only one residence on campus which is relatively new and I believe all the rooms are singles that share a bathroom with their neighbour. The food on campus is quite good, most things are made to order and customizable. The head chef would frequently ask students for food suggestions. I should also mention that the campus is tiny, 3 buildings, the residence, the cafe/bookstore, and the academic building. From what I could tell residence was pretty pricey so if you are able to find a place to rent from July-Dec then I would recommend it. A few people tried commuting from the GTA but within a few weeks it became to much and ended up moving to Orillia, I think one ended up renting a motel room a few nights a week and then going home on weekends. Some people did commute from closer areas like Barrie and that seemed to work out much better. If you do decide to move their send me a pm and I can give you some suggestions of where to look.

Overall I liked the program. Most of the profs were great and open to helping were they could. It was pricey and time consuming but for me it was a means to an end as I hoped it would open up more careers opportunities. An unexpected bonus was meeting some really awesome people. Since the program is so small and since most people moved from out of town you bond with people pretty quick. 

I hope you hear from the other school's well before July, a 2 year program is definitely the way to go. I had only applied to the bsw so starting in July wasn't difficult for me, in fact it was helpful as I had just finished up a contract position. I applied to the advanced standing MSW at UofT this year and have been waitlisted, in hindsight I wish I had applied for the 2 year program to begin with. 

Hah so that began a lot longer of a response than expected but I hope it gives you a better understanding of the program. I found it really difficult to find out information about the program before going. 

Wow! Thank you so much for all this wonderful information! You really have me lots to think about! And, yes, I am finding it difficult to find information about the program, so this is beyond help and very appreciated!

I just have one last question. When you finished the course in the summer, was there much of a waiting time between then and when courses started in the fall?

Thanks again for everything! :)

In regards to the question about Lakehead what I would personally do is accept Lakehead and then when the program is due to start take yourself off the waitlist for other schools.  There is no sense driving yourself crazy like that and it would be very difficult to withdraw from a program at the last minute. 

Thanks for replying! You make a valid point, and it would for sure drive me crazy if I were to be in the situation. It would also be incredibly heart break if for some reason I was accepted last minute (this is mainly because (1) I reached out a faculty member at U of T because I really want work with her and do a combined PHD in SW and (2) because my life partner is going into social work as well and it would be hard to give up on the chance of getting into the same MSW). 

Thanks for your advice! You gave me lots to think about :)

Edited by ShayRonee93

Wow! Thank you so much for all this wonderful information! You really have me lots to think about! And, yes, I am finding it difficult to find information about the program, so this is beyond help and very appreciated!

I just have one last question. When you finished the course in the summer, was there much of a waiting time between then and when courses started in the fall?

Thanks again for everything! :)

I have accepted and registered at Lakehead Orillia. The summer is a series of 3 2 week long classes beginning July 6 and the last day is August 18. Then I guess we would be starting back whenever the first Tuesday in September is, so about 2 weeks break.

I have accepted and registered at Lakehead Orillia. The summer is a series of 3 2 week long classes beginning July 6 and the last day is August 18. Then I guess we would be starting back whenever the first Tuesday in September is, so about 2 weeks break.

Thanks! 

Hello everyone! 

For those of you who have been accepted, rejected, wait listed, etc. at U of T (or any other universities), would you be able to "Results Search" and "Submit Grad School Admission Results" so, for those who haven't heard anything yet from schools, will be able to search the results and gage how many have been accepted/waitlisted/rejected thus far in the waiting game?

Hello everyone! 

For those of you who have been accepted, rejected, wait listed, etc. at U of T (or any other universities), would you be able to "Results Search" and "Submit Grad School Admission Results" so, for those who haven't heard anything yet from schools, will be able to search the results and gage how many have been accepted/waitlisted/rejected thus far in the waiting game?

Can you provide a link to do this? 

Thanks! 

Hi everyone, 

I have a question for those who have been accepted to University of Toronto: I was wondering what it said on your ROSI once you were accepted. I have not received an e-mail saying that I have been accepted but my ROSI status has been updated to "Invited." I am not sure if this means I have been accepted or what it means?

Thanks  :)

Hi everyone, 

I have a question for those who have been accepted to University of Toronto: I was wondering what it said on your ROSI once you were accepted. I have not received an e-mail saying that I have been accepted but my ROSI status has been updated to "Invited." I am not sure if this means I have been accepted or what it means?

Thanks  :)

If your Rosi says invited, it means you are accepted! Congratulations!!

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to this forum. Last year when I had applied to graduate school (was unsuccessful), I would lurk the forums but this year I decided not to - just because I'd get intimidated looking at everyone's amazing stats and experience!

Anyway, I recently got accepted into Windsor's 2 year Regular Track MSW program! So I was hoping to connect with any other applicants :)

To those who are still waiting, good luck and I hope you hear from the schools soon! And to those who were unsuccessful this time around, keep on trying - it is a competitive program with limited seats, but be persistent!

I am also worried of what I would do if I go ahead and go to lake head for the HBSW and then get accepted into a MSW program last minute!

If I were accepted last minute into a MSW, it makes complete sense to go to the MSW program, but at the same time it would be such a complicated process to leave lakehead because (1) I will be getting a full student loan for lakehead and (2) I live 20+ hours away from lake head. 

If anyone has experience this (went to lakehead, and then left because they were accepted into a MSW before september), please fill me in on your experiences and everything you did! Advice is needed!

Are you on a waitlist right now? If you are, I would suggest calling the student loan office and asking what the steps are if this actually happens to you so you know in advance. I'd also rent a place that doesn't have a one year lease so you can leave easily if needed (if you are willing to move under short notice, that is).

If it's too complicated to work it out under such short notice, you could also ask to defer your offer by one year to give yourself more time to prepare for the move and to get your finances in order.

I've also wondered what is better - to get on a waitlist or to get a rejection? A rejection is deflating because you know you didn't make the cut. A waitlist seems better because you almost got in (thus your application was good) and you still might get an offer, but then you are left in limbo for so long. Sometimes it seems better to know early so then you can make concrete plans for the upcoming year.

Congrats on Lakehead and good luck with the rest of your applications!

Edited by jenste

Agreed. I have thought about this as well especially because after a few weeks of starting the program you don't get a refund of your tuition! Which would suck. 

Can you provide a link to do this? 

Thanks! 

You can go to this link and click the "Submit Your Results" is red at the top: http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/ 

Or, you can try this link, it may take you direct to submitting your results: http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/post.php

Are you on a waitlist right now? If you are, I would suggest calling the student loan office and asking what the steps are if this actually happens to you so you know in advance. I'd also rent a place that doesn't have a one year lease so you can leave easily if needed (if you are willing to move under short notice, that is).

If it's too complicated to work it out under such short notice, you could also ask to defer your offer by one year to give yourself more time to prepare for the move and to get your finances in order.

I've also wondered what is better - to get on a waitlist or to get a rejection? A rejection is deflating because you know you didn't make the cut. A waitlist seems better because you almost got in (thus your application was good) and you still might get an offer, but then you are left in limbo for so long. Sometimes it seems better to know early so then you can make concrete plans for the upcoming year.

Congrats on Lakehead and good luck with the rest of your applications!

To the universities I am hoping to get in to, I am not waitlisted but I haven't been rejected either.

Im just worried because I am working FT this summer as a RA and I have a PT social service volunteer position that I will be working all summer long, and if I were to leave the middle of June, it would ruin all the plans I have in motion. So, I am trying to work out the scenarios in the mean time to prepare if I end up being waitlisted for an MSW. 

I hope they send out more acceptances this week! I mean, its only April 4th so they should, right.

Thanks for all the feedback!  

Agreed. I have thought about this as well especially because after a few weeks of starting the program you don't get a refund of your tuition! Which would suck. 

Think of it this way... Do the HBSW and pay 4 semesters of tuition (it's 12 mths long but starts and ends in the summer so you pay for 4 semesters), plus 3 semesters for an MSW. Or 1 semester of the HBSW, withdraw early and lose your money, plus 5 semesters of a 2 yr MSW program. Financially, you come out ahead with the 2 yr MSW. Although i do admit, it sucks to stop suddenly and have to relocate quickly.

Hey! 

I have a question. As a plan B, would it be advantageous to take a one year Social Service Worker program? Or would it be just as advantageous to try and get more work/volunteer experience? They have an accelerated SSW program at Seneca college and it looks like they are still accepting applications? What do you guys think? 

Here is more information about Seneca's program: 

http://www.senecacollege.ca/fulltime/SSIA.html

Edited by gakattack

Hey I know this has probably been posted in the past, but for those of us who are now "invited" on ROSI, how long does it take to receive something in the mail?

Hey! 

I have a question. As a plan B, would it be advantageous to take a one year Social Service Worker program? Or would it be just as advantageous to try and get more work/volunteer experience? They have an accelerated SSW program at Seneca college and it looks like they are still accepting applications? What do you guys think? 

It depends on your goals. The answer to that question would be yes and no.

Doing a SSW program would allow you to qualify for jobs that are related to social work. So if you are greatly lacking work experience and don't mind dedicating a year of time and money towards this program, it could be a good option for you.

If you complete a 1 year BSW program (at Lakehead, for instance) you can become an RSW and you would end up saving time and money compared to the first option because you could then apply to 1 year advanced standing MSW programs as opposed to 2 yr programs. However, if you do a 1 yr SSW program, you will not save any time in regards to university coursework as you would still need to apply to 2 yr MSW programs. You would also be unable to raise your u-GPA as they only consider university coursework into your GPA.

I've also noticed that there are far more advanced standing MSW programs in Canada than 2 yr MSW programs and a greater percentage of applicants are typically accepted into advanced standing compared to 2 yr MSW programs (at least this is the trend I saw at UofT, Laurier and UofWindsor). So I think that this is why some people prefer to focus on MSW and BSW programs instead.

If you do go the SSW route, I have been told by a Conestoga College SSW student that their program is number 1 in Ontario at their 2 year program is the equivalent of 2 years of university, so you could go straight into 3rd year of a BSW program afterwards, in case this option is of interest to you. (But if you already have a bachelor's degree then there are lots of 12mth-2yr fast track programs out there that might make more sense for you to do). 

Edited by jenste

It depends on your goals. The answer to that question would be yes and no.

Doing a SSW program would allow you to qualify for jobs that are related to social work. So if you are greatly lacking work experience and don't mind dedicating a year of time and money towards this program, it could be a good option for you.

If you complete a 1 year BSW program (at Lakehead, for instance) you can become an RSW and you would end up saving time and money compared to the first option because you could then apply to 1 year advanced standing MSW programs as opposed to 2 yr programs. However, if you do a 1 yr SSW program, you will not save any time in regards to university coursework as you would still need to apply to 2 yr MSW programs. You would also be unable to raise your u-GPA as they only consider university coursework into your GPA.

I've also noticed that there are far more advanced standing MSW programs in Canada than 2 yr MSW programs and a greater percentage of applicants are typically accepted into advanced standing compared to 2 yr MSW programs (at least this is the trend I saw at UofT, Laurier and UofWindsor). So I think that this is why some people prefer to focus on MSW and BSW programs instead.

If you do go the SSW route, I have been told by a Conestoga College SSW student that their program is number 1 in Ontario at their 2 year program is the equivalent of 2 years of university, so you could go straight into 3rd year of a BSW program afterwards, in case this option is of interest to you. (But if you already have a bachelor's degree then there are lots of 12mth-2yr fast track programs out there that might make more sense for you to do). 

I agree with what Jenste said and would like to add my experience:

I did go the route where I took SSW after my B.A. So in terms of schooling, I did an extra year. However, the year before I decided to go that route, I wanted to pursue teaching degree. I was rejected from teaching colleges and ultimately was devastated which mate me re-evaluate in the direction I want to go in my career. So when I got rejections in mid-Apr 2013, I looked into SSW programs and George Brown was still accepting applications even though it was only 2 weeks until classes start, I got accepted (it was like a day or who before classes started). I know cutting it close...

Last year I guess I was not as competitive for UofT as I was in middle of my SSW and was on wait list all summer long, ultimately rejected. However I finished up my SSW and that helped me get a part-time job in a field, adding to my skills and experiences, to be accepted this year.

In the end I do not regret that one year as it was transitional for me into the social work field, got to network with many future social workers and I found out that it is what I want to pursue ultimately, no matter what. Honestly, for me I got more out of the accelerated SSW then my whole undergraduate degree. lol.  So it is for you to decide if you think you are competitive enough or you want to improve on your skills and knowledge. 

Fell free to ask me if you got any more questions :)

Edited by swrk

swrk,

After reading your post, I got the sense that doing a SSW program could help people have a clearer focus on their professional goals which could help them write a stronger personal statement. In addition, it can give people more connections in the field, possibly leading them to get strong references from someone for grad school apps and help people get experience in the field they might not get otherwise with their bachelor's degree.

I think it depends on the strengths and weaknesses of people's application. If having a low GPA is an issue, getting a SSW diploma won't help to improve it. If someone is a parent, a mature student, or has a lot of debt, getting a SSW degree might not be the best idea either.

But if someone can spare the extra year and money and has a hard time acquiring relevant experience, a SSW diploma might be the answer, esp. if someone isn't able to get into an accelerated BSW program.

Some food for thought. :)

Edited by jenste

swrk,

After reading your post, I got the sense that doing a SSW program could help people have a clearer focus on their professional goals which could help them write a stronger personal statement. In addition, it can give people more connections in the field, possibly leading them to get strong references from someone for grad school apps and help people get experience in the field they might not get otherwise with their bachelor's degree.

I think it depends on the strengths and weaknesses of people's application. If having a low GPA is an issue, getting a SSW diploma won't help to improve it. If someone is a parent, a mature student, or has a lot of debt, getting a SSW degree might not be the best idea either.

But if someone can spare the extra year and money and has a hard time acquiring relevant experience, a SSW diploma might be the answer, esp. if someone isn't able to get into an accelerated BSW program.

Some food for thought. :)

Second this!

Personally, I never would have bothered doing a SSW program.  If the goal is an MSW, and becoming a registered social worker, the SSW really does not do much to get you there.  If you look on job search websites for social work jobs they want an MSW.  The jobs available for SSW are lower paid and not at the same level as MSW jobs.  I would personally say volunteer/work in a social work related area for the year, maybe do a university certificate if you have money available because that will go towards your GPA.

Hey! 

An SSW is good experience however I dont think it would make a BIG change in your application. Why is your application lacking? Are your grades an A? If they are not I strongly suggest taking more undergrad courses to boost your GPA. If it is solely experience, i would recommend volunteering with your local Childrens Aid Society, as I beleive that was really helpful to my application. These are my thoughts. Good luck!