Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

That slightly embarrassing moment when you realize ROSI has a tab for "Tracking Activity" for every time you log in and check your status, the admissions committee or who ever updates that must be finding that amusing....

tumblr_ln5na8Ei9z1qb1eb9o1_500.gif

Oh my God...if Western or Waterloo have that too I'll be so embarassed. I check once or twice an hour during business hours :/

Hiya!

I was wondering if any of you knew when the first offers will be made for the UoT 2-year MSW.

I'm new to this thread; sorry if this was already asked!

Good luck to everyone!

Hey the website states that they will be sent by Mid-April, last year they were sent around April 6/7. Hope that helps!

That slightly embarrassing moment when you realize ROSI has a tab for "Tracking Activity" for every time you log in and check your status, the admissions committee or who ever updates that must be finding that amusing....

Haha, oh my goodness, I've been very bad with this even though I know the results don't come out until April. I've also been checking York's myfile everyday, last year was a very blunt rejection when it went from "no decision yet" to "unsuccessful" within the 1 hour I checked twice.

Luckily they will probably be too busy to check that tab but if they ever did oh boy :P

In other news, 3 more days until March which means the reality of decisions will begin to be a little more concrete ahh I can't wait.  :)

Sdp732 did ryerson say when the decisions would be coming out?

Plus all those applying to u of t. Just be patient I am sure the letters would be coming out pretty soon. At this point if you did not receive a letter(I am one of them) it's safe to say we did not make it to the first round of considerations. Maybe they are waiting for responses from the first round before second round offers. Just be patient, I sure there'll be another wave of responses in a couple weeks !

When I called the graduate admissions office last week they basically said it could be anytime from right now to April... that makes me anxious haha. I called the social work department and asked if they knew they told me to call the graduate admissions office... urgh! 

Just wondering as I've noticed that people have been calling schools, has anyone contacted York this year to find out when they will begin sending admissions for the 2 year program?  

So I decided to email U of Windsor to see where my application stood. I got an email back saying they usually take 4-6 weeks from the time your application is complete to send out an offer/rejection (it's MSW for working professionals and rolling admissions) and that my application is on step 2 out of 3 right now.  Well at least I know my acceptance/rejection will likely be end of march or even april at this point so I can stop checking so much!

Ahhh who am I kidding...I'll still be checking every day...lol

Hey blh22!  I noticed in your signature that you weren't accepted to CFT/MFT (sorry to hear, but I'm sure you'll get into Laurier or U of T  :) ).  Did you get an official email/letter saying you weren't accepted?  I also applied to Guelph and have literally heard nothing from them since I submitted my application.  I'm assuming I haven't made the first round because their website says they run interviews over reading week, but I'm wondering if they have a waitlist?

Hey blh22!  I noticed in your signature that you weren't accepted to CFT/MFT (sorry to hear, but I'm sure you'll get into Laurier or U of T  :) ).  Did you get an official email/letter saying you weren't accepted?  I also applied to Guelph and have literally heard nothing from them since I submitted my application.  I'm assuming I haven't made the first round because their website says they run interviews over reading week, but I'm wondering if they have a waitlist?

Hello! Thanks for the hope! I did not get an "official" letter or email but I emailed to inquire as I applied 2 years ago and received an email a few days during the interview week. Their wait list would likely consist of the other 8 students of the 16 invited to be interviewed, given the process required to be admitted into the program I highly doubt they have any issues filling those spots. Unfortunately, that's the nature of such a competitive program! I have been looking into it and attending the information sessions for 5 years... this past year was the only one I haven't attended haha

Good luck with your other programs and I apologize for not having such hopeful news! I notice you seem to be applying to an equal amount of MSW and counselling programs, any preferences?

I wish there were "Like" buttons on here haha

haha you can press the green arrow (I guess that's the closest thing to a "like")

Someone posted a comment earlier today that they talked to Angela about the 2 year but now I can't find it :wacko:  they said that Angela said the letters would be mailed out end of March, did anyone else see this? or talk to Angela... I am so impatient it is terrible  :-P

York has updated their phone system this year and made it hard to anonymously ask when decisions will begin being mailed out. I feel so bad for pestering the admissions coordinators but I am so anxious, doing this process two years in a row has really taken a lot out of me I really hope I won't have to do this again next year. 

Has anyone started coming up with alternative plans for next year if they don't get in this year?

Thanks for the information! :) It certainly does make me a little more hopeful that I make the cut for the average that they usually take. But indeed, it could convince more students to apply !!

Your calculated GPA is limited to your last 8-10 half credits (4-5 full credits), so only your final year will go into the calculation. Obviously they have your transcript so they can see the CGPA but it shouldn't be a factor in their decision (at least at U of T)

My friend who also applied to the U of T emailed Angela, and Angela said that the average admission GPA for the 2 year MSW 2014 class was high B+ to low A-.

Not gonna lie though, I'm a bit paranoid that she gave that grade range to encourage applications, because $$$. But who knows.

Socialworkerr - Have you contacted Angela?  Since you are waiting on another offer I think it would be fine to contact her and ask when she thinks you will be notified as you would like to hear from UofT before you make your final decision.

I emailed Angela at U of T for an update, because I have to give my response to UBCO by March 6. I got the same generic reply that everyone else has been getting regarding decisions being mailed out from mid-February to mid-April.

Just checked my status online, and it's "NOT SELECTED".  I really don't understand why.  My GPA is "A-" and I don't think my experience is that terribly bad.  I know they (UVic) asks for 2 year post BSW experience, I finished all my courses on Dec 2012 and attend the graduation ceremony in June 2013.  Do they actually ask you to have 2 year post BSW experience after you are officially graduated? Even if that's the case, I would have a 2 year full of working experience by June 2015, before the entry of the program starts. 

I will send them an email and ask them what I could do to improve my application for the future.  For those of you who haven't heard from UVic, no news is probably good news. 

Best of luck!

Just checked my status online, and it's "NOT SELECTED".  I really don't understand why.  My GPA is "A-" and I don't think my experience is that terribly bad.  I know they (UVic) asks for 2 year post BSW experience, I finished all my courses on Dec 2012 and attend the graduation ceremony in June 2013.  Do they actually ask you to have 2 year post BSW experience after you are officially graduated? Even if that's the case, I would have a 2 year full of working experience by June 2015, before the entry of the program starts. 

I will send them an email and ask them what I could do to improve my application for the future.  For those of you who haven't heard from UVic, no news is probably good news. 

Best of luck!

Apparently they are very strict with the two year rule. My friend applied and had amazing experience. He only had a year and a half including like 6-8 months in a management position and he got rejected. He was pissed

haha you can press the green arrow (I guess that's the closest thing to a "like")

Someone posted a comment earlier today that they talked to Angela about the 2 year but now I can't find it :wacko:  they said that Angela said the letters would be mailed out end of March, did anyone else see this? or talk to Angela... I am so impatient it is terrible  :-P

York has updated their phone system this year and made it hard to anonymously ask when decisions will begin being mailed out. I feel so bad for pestering the admissions coordinators but I am so anxious, doing this process two years in a row has really taken a lot out of me I really hope I won't have to do this again next year. 

Has anyone started coming up with alternative plans for next year if they don't get in this year?

My alternative plan is taking a few more undergrad courses at york - hoping to get an A+ in all of them or A to boost my GPA more, and continue my volunteer work and reapply