Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Got rejected at Windsor. I'm not upset since I wasn't planning on going anyway. but can't keep going "Alas such is life" LOL

Am sorry hun, I pray one of your waitlist work out in the end :)

I hear you. I haen't been sleeping well. And I've had a couple admissions dreams. I was so happy when I was waitlisted last year (considering I was rejected from Laurier immediately), but after waiting another year and working so hard getting on the waitlist will be good... because there's still hope... but not as good as getting in :P

Hope everyone can hang in and hear good news! - and find something to de-stress during the process :)

Me too, and imableakvision, I have been having nightmares about this whole process it is the worst feeling in the world. A few days ago I had the best dream ever, I got an acceptance and my alarm went off I was so sad to wake up :( ahaha.

ash_d19, I feel the same, last year I was waitlisted at both schools I applied to and I worked my butt off to get more experience this year but something is giving me the feeling that I can anticipate a rejection or waitlist again. It would be so discouraging to go through this all over again I am contemplating whether I will be mentally tough enough to do this again for the third year in a row. 

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances  :) I got into U of T (advanced standing) and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about grading?

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge in the difficulty of the courses? I know that graduate courses are obviously much more demanding and a lot more work in comparison to undergrad, but would you say that it is fair marking for hard work put in? Just wondering.. considering reputations of schools and all

Lol if it makes you feel better I sent an email yesterday to inquire about it. I'm "that" person. I feel bad doing it, but I thought I might as well get the information and pass it along considering how nervous we all are - plus I haven't bothered her with anything else this session :P. Kind of wish our power were out here so I couldn't constantly check my status. I'll reply if/when I hear back.

Haha yes I have been dying to call and ask that question! Its so stressful not knowing exactly when lol!:(.

when you go to www.utoronto.ca a tab on the top says "ROSI", thats basically your main hub regarding your registration, courses, finances and so on.  The other one that is your account with the school of graduate studies where your whole application is as well as your status.  So where it says "invitied" that would be your ROSI!

Hope that helped

Yes....thank you! I went to Dal for my BA and BSW and we (of course) have a very different system so its a learning process but I will eventually get it haha 

Hi Everyone. here is Angela's response...

Hello,

I am responding to your message.  This year, admission offer letters for the two-year MSW Program will be sent out from mid-March to mid-April.  As decisions are mailed out, your status on the On-line application will be changed to Decision Made.   By mid-April all MSW decisions will be sent out.   Due to the high volume of applicants, we are not able to respond to messages regarding when a decision will be made on an application.  We ask for your continued patience.

Best regards,

Angela Umbrello

Administrative Coordinator, Admissions & Programs

Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work, University of Toronto

Hello,

I am responding to your message.  This year, admission offer letters for the two-year MSW Program will be sent out from mid-March to mid-April.  As decisions are mailed out, your status on the On-line application will be changed to Decision Made.   By mid-April all MSW decisions will be sent out.   Due to the high volume of applicants, we are not able to respond to messages regarding when a decision will be made on an application.  We ask for your continued patience.

Best regards,

Angela Umbrello

That is so vague to me. They could have sent out all the decisions already ... Ughhhhh

Hello,

Best regards,

Angela Umbrello

... Well that isn't clarifying anything UGHHHHHHHHH. WHYYYYY.

That is so vague to me. They could have sent out all the decisions already ... Ughhhhh

I don't think it's that vague. I think it's pretty clear that between the period of mid-March and mid-April they will be continuing to send out applications. Granted, I have no idea how it works for social work but I know that U of T's law school has multiple rounds / waves of admissions - though I don't know how they arrange who gets in on what wave.

I was coming to report the same email from Angela - I asked about sending a transcript and she gave me the above response and then said I could if I wanted to, though didn't say if it would impact my thing or not. I have to hope if all the decisions had been made already she would have just said no don't bother (but who knows) so I'm couriering them another transcript so they have my last semester marks (which includes my research methods course).

Basically: I am just as anxious and nervous as everyone but I am forcing myself to believe that there is no way they have sent out all the acceptances and until mid-April there is absolutely no reason to think that no news is bad news. Who knows why some people have been accepted and some haven't yet, but again, I think we have at least a month to go before we all decide we're not in.

Good luck to everyone stressing along with me!! I think I'd feel better if I knew my other programs were going to start sending things out soon. I have a much better shot I think at my one year BSWs but those I won't know till end of March/early April, so this U of T thing is even worse because nothing else is progressing anywhere else yet. Ugh. TOO MUCH STRESS.

Hello,

Best regards,

Angela Umbrello

This seems to be a generic "copy/paste" response that she is sending to everyone who asks about decisions, I think I've read the exact same e-mail a few times on the forum in the past few weeks :( doesn't really clarify I guess we'll just have to continue with this excruciating waiting,

Has anyone who was accepted on Friday on ROSI received their package in the mail yet? Every time the post comes in and there is nothing I breathe a sigh of relief, hopefully by the end of the week a few more of us can have some peace of mind! :)

My stress has reached peak today, I've already baked a lasagna and brownies to try to relieve some stress lol does anyone care for a brownie:D 

Edited by b39

I just received a notice reading "Not Admitted" to U windsor's 2 Year MSW program. I am honestly so upset because I applied last year with minimal experience and not having taken a Stats course and got wait listed and I received a rejection this year even though I took a stats course and got an A- in it AND I beefed up my experience by volunteering with a distress line AND acquired a part time job educating children about topics in social awareness. I just don't understand how I got wait listed year and not this year :( I applied to U of T and Laurier as well, but seeing as how my ROSI status has not changed I doubt I got accepted. I honestly wish I could just run away haha. Sorry to be such a negative Nancy. I do want to genuinely wish congratulations to the people that got accepted. 

I just received a notice reading "Not Admitted" to U windsor's 2 Year MSW program. I am honestly so upset because I applied last year with minimal experience and not having taken a Stats course and got wait listed and I received a rejection this year even though I took a stats course and got an A- in it AND I beefed up my experience by volunteering with a distress line AND acquired a part time job educating children about topics in social awareness. I just don't understand how I got wait listed year and not this year :( I applied to U of T and Laurier as well, but seeing as how my ROSI status has not changed I doubt I got accepted. I honestly wish I could just run away haha. Sorry to be such a negative Nancy. I do want to genuinely wish congratulations to the people that got accepted. 

That is really tough, I'm sorry to hear that. I really hope you get into your other options it sounds like you have great experience, that is very strange 

This seems to be a generic "copy/paste" response that she is sending to everyone who asks about decisions, I think I've read the exact same e-mail a few times on the forum in the past few weeks :( doesn't really clarify I guess we'll just have to continue with this excruciating waiting,

Has anyone who was accepted on Friday on ROSI received their package in the mail yet? Every time the post comes in and there is nothing I breathe a sigh of relief, hopefully by the end of the week a few more of us can have some peace of mind! :)

My stress has reached peak today, I've already baked a lasagna and brownies to try to relieve some stress lol does anyone care for a brownie:D 

...I went home last Friday and made 4 dozen healthy brownies (Avocado Peppermint, Orange, Peppermint and plain dark chocolate goodness). But I will take some of that lasagna ;) haha

That is really tough, I'm sorry to hear that. I really hope you get into your other options it sounds like you have great experience, that is very strange 

Thanks, b39. I called Nancy and left a message to see if there is any way she is able to clarify as to why this might have been (could I have filled out something wrong on the application sheet?). I'm sure she cannot give me much information, but I would really like to know why I was wait listed last year and not this year. It sucks right now in this moment, and it will suck tomorrow and this sucky feeling will probably last all week, but I know it won't last forever and that life goes on. It just sucks knowing that I cannot become a social worker unless I go to school for it. I was told because I already have a 4 year degree that my chances of getting into the 2 year BSW are extremely low (apparently they are more geared toward people who have a 3 year general degree...). 

Has anyone's status on SGS changed from 'under review' to accepted???

ROSI seems to be the portal in which they are using to "invite" people who have been accepted. From what I gather from this forum, ROSI status changes to "invited" an then a few days later the SGS will change to "decision made" and a couple days later the package comes in the mail. Hope this helps!

Has anyone's status on SGS changed from 'under review' to accepted???

Hi good news,

Mine is still under review. Hoping to get a letter in the next few days so it can all feel more real. It looks like sometimes the SGS does not change long after even the letter arrives for some people.

Don't feel defeated! This is technically the first week of when UofT projected their acceptances would roll out! 4 weeks to go! I really think there will be more acceptances for UofT, and we haven't even heard from Laurier yet! Keep your head up :)

Thanks, b39. I called Nancy and left a message to see if there is any way she is able to clarify as to why this might have been (could I have filled out something wrong on the application sheet?). I'm sure she cannot give me much information, but I would really like to know why I was wait listed last year and not this year. It sucks right now in this moment, and it will suck tomorrow and this sucky feeling will probably last all week, but I know it won't last forever and that life goes on. It just sucks knowing that I cannot become a social worker unless I go to school for it. I was told because I already have a 4 year degree that my chances of getting into the 2 year BSW are extremely low (apparently they are more geared toward people who have a 3 year general degree...). 

I'm not sure where you heard that but I literally haven't heard that from anyone else. From all of my understanding, the post-degree BSW's are designed for people who realized they wanted to do a BSW, but had already finished (any other 'related') degree and thus didn't want to do 3-4 more years of school. I'm just saying, I know you're upset and you definitely have the right to be - it's such a stressful upsetting place to be in for all of us. But 1) you still may get into U of T or Laurier, they have sent out some acceptances but nothing I have heard says they've sent out all of them yet (which would also be silly because no programs really accept like that anyways) and 2) I would do more research into the post degree BSWs and which ones are geared towards people with 4 year degrees, since, yeah, I never heard anything about that whole 3 vs 4 year thing and frankly it seems kind of redundant and strange. Why offer a post-degree program if you really meant it as an honours style "post general degree" program?? Good luck with everything!

Encouraged by a friend, I emailed Angela(U of T) yesterday to update my resume, she replied me today and said my new information will be added to my application. Do you guys think it means that they are still reviewing our applications? Otherwise she simply would have told me that the decisions were already made. What do you think? 

My status hasn't changed for u of windsor . it still says referred to department.

If anyone hears about anyone being accepted can you please reply to the forum .

I am hoping that in this case , no news is good news ☺

Encouraged by a friend, I emailed Angela(U of T) yesterday to update my resume, she replied me today and said my new information will be added to my application. Do you guys think it means that they are still reviewing our applications? Otherwise she simply would have told me that the decisions were already made. What do you think? 

It sounds like it to me :) Considering what she said not too long ago about them not having reviewed applications yet, I think - and I hope im not just being too hopeful here - that they've still got quite a few to review. I'd be surprised if they've reviewed all the applications they've received in such a short period of time and made decisions. lol or at least I really hope not.  To me, that's sounds like they haven't reviewed yours yet.

My status hasn't changed for u of windsor . it still says referred to department.

If anyone hears about anyone being accepted can you please reply to the forum .

I am hoping that in this case , no news is good news ☺

I believe someone earlier said they got a response however mine still also says referred to department.