Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

People have got replies from York in all possible tones - accepted, wait listed, unsuccessful (Sorry but the best is yet to come, get your feet back on the ground!). I just feel confused what my Not Decision Yet means with no feedback? Does anyone applying for York have the same problem? 

To those accepted, did you find a thesis supervisor during application? I guess it may make a difference.

Also, should I still bear hope on the UofT two-yr program - ROSI unavailable, SGS under review, no Email prompt. Angela hasn't replied yet.

I have to say compared with an elegant and slow death, I prefer facing what I have to face in a straightforward fashion. 

Rosi is down for maintenance so that doesnt mean anything....

No decision yet for York U probably means you got rejected. I also have no decision yet on my file and I called and they said they are still looking over files so if it says no decision yet it means that they just havent made a decision yet on your file. Having said that, I got confirmation that they already sent out all acceptances ..... 

Edited by Social Work 93

I just came across this thread! This is amazing! I thought I may have been the only one obsessing over whether I will be accepted or rejecting in to an MSW. I am a fourth year (graduating student in a BA Honours Psychology degree. My top choice in UofT 2-year program and backup is Lakehead HBSW or Maine University BSW. 

Has anyone heard from Laurier or been waiting at either Laurier or U of T?

Also, congratulations to all those who heard back from schools! :) It is such an exciting time! 

Applied: U of T, Laurier, Windsor, Maine University (BSW/MSW), Lakehead, St. Thomas

Accepted: Maine BSW, Lakehead, 

Waitlisted:

RejectedWindsor, Maine MSW, 

Declined:  St. Thomas

Attending

I just came across this thread! This is amazing! I thought I may have been the only one obsessing over whether I will be accepted or rejecting in to an MSW. I am a fourth year (graduating student in a BA Honours Psychology degree. My top choice in UofT 2-year program and backup is Lakehead HBSW or Maine University BSW.

Also, congratulations to all those who heard back from schools! :) It is such an exciting time!

Applied: U of T, Laurier, Windsor, Maine University (BSW/MSW), Lakehead, St. Thomas

Waitlisted:

Rejected: Windsor, Maine MSW,

Declined: St. Thomas

Attending:

Congrats on your choices so far and good luck

Edited by MSW-UofT

Has anyone heard they've been rejected from U of T?

If so, when did you hear you here? And, when you got rejected from U of T, did you ROSI  update and say that? 

Also, have there only been two sessions of acceptance to the 2yr-MSW @ UofT (March 13 & 24)? Does anyone know if there is usually more than two waves of acceptance? 

Thanks! 

Edited by Ronee93

Applied: U of T, Laurier, Windsor, Maine University (BSW/MSW), Lakehead, St. Thomas

Waitlisted:

Rejected: Windsor, Maine MSW,

Declined: St. Thomas

Attending:

Hey! Do you mind if I ask how / when you heard about the rejection from St. Thomas?

I got into Lakehead as well! Which campus?

U of T has done two waves of acceptances so far - I think total less than ten people on this thread have gotten in. Pretty sure they're still reviewing and accepting people!

I don't think anyone has heard from Laurier yet. York may have accepted a few?

Good luck!!

Hey! Do you mind if I ask how / when you heard about the rejection from St. Thomas?

U of T has done two waves of acceptances so far - I think total less than ten people on this thread have gotten in. Pretty sure they're still reviewing and accepting people!

Good luck!!

Sorry, that was probably misleading. I was contact via email and got an interview with St.Thomas on February 27, but I rejected/declined the interview because I was already accepted into the BSW @ Maine University at that point. 

My partner and I got accepted into Lakehead at Orillia Campus :). So, if we don't get into any MSW program, we are super excited for this!! 

Thats great about U of T. A friend from Halifax, N.S. was recently accepted into their 2-year MSW at U of T and I was hoping letters were making there way to the East Coast. Here to hoping :) 

I also recently discover the ROSI system for U of T and how it will update (almost immediately?), so that is super exciting! 

Good luck to you as well! :) 

Just to clarify- ROSI isn't an admissions portal. It's the system U of T students use to select courses, see their fees, etc. So it just tells a student which program they are registered in or invited for. Nothing will change if you're rejected or waitlisted. Last year, I was waitlisted, then rejected, and nothing ever changed, because I was never invited or registered for anything. SGS is the admissions portal, and it will also say "Under Review" until you are either accepted or rejected. If you are waitlisted, it will stay "Under Review" either until you get accepted off the wait list or until September when whoever isn't accepted off the wait list is formally rejected (it changed about the 3rd week of September for me). So chances are that if you are rejected or waitlisted, you will find out by snail mail before anything changes online, since ROSI will ONLY change if you're accepted and they take awhile to update SGS (which won't even update until something else changes if you're waitlisted).

That being said, I can't imagine they are done with admissions yet, so try not to lose hope just yet! I haven't heard of anyone being waitlisted or rejected yet this year, so there is still lots of possibility there!!!

Thanks for the clarification @lightning1129. I will definitely keep this in mind during these next few days or week! Also, congrats on being accepted to U of T @lightning1129

I am just dying to know where I will be heading to in September, and if it will be University of Toronto! 

U of T only sends admission via mail, and not e-mail, right? 

It has been such a long wait since I've applied but these past few days (as April approached), have been the longest. 

Goodluck to all of you out there and Congratulations to those who have been accepted!  :)

Good luck!!

I hate to be a realist/pessimist but from what I've heard each school gets around 600 applicants or more. It seems less than 50 of them are on these forums - so I doubt the number of people who get accepted here is any indication to go by. 

I was browsing last year's forums and it seemed most people knew by the second week of April for most schools, so there's still some hope; however, by this point I am strongly looking at my Plan B now.

To the person who said York told them they've already accepted everyone into the MSW 2-year program, any idea why they wait so long to send rejection letters out to those who have heard nothing? I find it odd how they'll reject some people, waitlist some, and then accept some but then tell others nothing. 

I totall agree with you in regards to UofT, I think they are waiting on responses to gauge their wait list / rejections but their top people have definitely been offered admissions in my opinion. However, to each belief it's own. I still think there is hope but I believe they know who they are rejecting at this point in my opinion and most likely send rejection and wait list last when they have the acceptance numbers figured out

Edited by MSW-UofT

Sorry, that was probably misleading. I was contact via email and got an interview with St.Thomas on February 27, but I rejected/declined the interview because I was already accepted into the BSW @ Maine University at that point. 

My partner and I got accepted into Lakehead at Orillia Campus :). So, if we don't get into any MSW program, we are super excited for this!! 

Thats great about U of T. A friend from Halifax, N.S. was recently accepted into their 2-year MSW at U of T and I was hoping letters were making there way to the East Coast. Here to hoping :) 

I also recently discover the ROSI system for U of T and how it will update (almost immediately?), so that is super exciting! 

Good luck to you as well! :)

Oh that makes a lot more sense. Very exciting about Lakehead though! I agree, it's so nice to just know what's happening.

Good luck on everything!

I hate to be a realist/pessimist but from what I've heard each school gets around 600 applicants or more. It seems less than 50 of them are on these forums - so I doubt the number of people who get accepted here is any indication to go by. 

I was browsing last year's forums and it seemed most people knew by the second week of April for most schools, so there's still some hope; however, by this point I am strongly looking at my Plan B now.

I didn't say that the number of people on this forum who have been accepted was any indication of anything. Just pointing out an observation. (I also think the number is closer to 800/900, at least for U of T, which is terrifying. Lakehead is apparently closer to 500.) Just neat to hear that we do have people who have been accepted, and I think will continue to do so.

I am choosing to go with the idea that we are all still on equal ground until mid-April. We have no idea how they are choosing to do waves so I'm not letting that get to my head just yet.

Good luck and I hope you hear good news!

Yeah I heard that last year U of T had 900 applications for their 2 year program...it's super scary to think that for every 15 people who get in that there are like 85 that are rejected, goes to show that being rejected doesn't necessarily say anything about us it's simply a really hard program to get into. I think there's also a big luck factor, we have no idea who else is applying and what they're credentials are, and some years may have stronger or "more suitable" applicants than others! Ahhh, such is life. 

Totally different program but I really need to contact some of you Lakehead Orillia people as I will be there next year and looking for either a rommate or carpool from Mississauga/Toronto.

Theory: Factor-Inwentash is abstaining from accepting anyone to their 2-year MSW who is still completing their undergrad, particularly if they're only just now completing their research methods course. 

Thoughts?

Theory: Factor-Inwentash is abstaining from accepting anyone to their 2-year MSW who is still completing their undergrad, particularly if they're only just now completing their research methods course.

Thoughts?

Hahhaha they could be saving some spots for April acceptences for undergrad in process to see final grades, but I doubt Cuz I swear a few people on the post is still in school and they got in. However, I know about 5 undergrad who are still in school who havnt heard anything so we thought that too.At this point I am happy I applied to york post-degree because I thought it would be two years but it will actually take me one year because they gave me so many credits. I am also glad I don't have to commute to lakehead lol...I totally don't blame people for thinking about their plan b. It has nothing to do with being negative or losing hope. It's always good to have a solid plan B in anything you do in life. A few of us may still get in but we never know so let's be safe than sorry

Edited by MSW-UofT

Thoughts?

I'm finishing my undergrad now and I was accepted in the first wave, but I imagine that if an applicant doesn't have a research methods mark yet that would put them at a large disadvantage since that is one of their only admission criteria. 

@social work 93 - confirmation that York or U of T has sent out all acceptances?

confirmation that York U has sent out all 20 acceptances already. I was personally told this by admin in the graduated department of MSW. 

confirmation that York U has sent out all 20 acceptances already. I was personally told this by admin in the graduated department of MSW. 

That's disappointing. York U was my top choice. I read someone earlier mentioning that last year they e-mailed one of the schools to know where the weakness in their application was. Does anyone know if this is acceptable to do? And does anyone know York's e-mail to contact for this information as well (I did e-mail them a few weeks ago regarding something else but never got a reply)? 

Side-question: If York U has sent out all their acceptances already, why wouldn't they reject the rest of us? :S 

Just something interesting I thought I would share. I work in the uk at the moment. On Friday I was having some after work drinks with colleagues and venting about this stressful process. They were saying they were so sure I would get in and I was trying to explain that it's just super competitive, because it's quite different in the uk. One of my colleagues called up a masters program a few weeks before the course was due to start, asked to be admitted, and she was. She had 30 hours of experience, and her undergrad was unrelated. Another colleague had a similar story. AND here the government will pay for your entire degree. It's the same for teachers here, which is another really competitive field in Ontario.

Just funny that if we lived in another country our lives would be so much less stressful right now :)

I'm finishing my undergrad now and I was accepted in the first wave, but I imagine that if an applicant doesn't have a research methods mark yet that would put them at a large disadvantage since that is one of their only admission criteria. 

Me too, I'm not finished my undergrad yet either, but I agree about the research methods course. Maybe that could explain it!

Me too, I'm not finished my undergrad yet either, but I agree about the research methods course. Maybe that could explain it!

Maybe. I'm just finishing my undergrad and have 3 research methods courses on my transcript though and I have heard nothing.

I'm not finished my undergrad either. I sent in an updated transcript with my research methods course on it the other week though, so maybe that'll help! I have a friend also finishing her undergrad who got in on the first round, but I think she probably did research methods last year at the latest or the year before so who knows.