Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Anyone get helped out by the deadline extension at Pitt? I know I did. But what does it mean...

I was definitely helped out by the deadline extension at Columbia, but historically they dont release decisions until mid-march at the earliest so it's going to be a long wait...

Wait, Pitt extended the deadline? Hmm. Does that mean they weren't getting enough applications in or something? 

That's the question...

I was definitely helped out by the deadline extension at Columbia, but historically they dont release decisions until mid-march at the earliest so it's going to be a long wait...

I didn't see anything in the acceptance letter from USC about deciding before April 15, did you hear anything?

Heeey, any of those who got the interview for Wisconsin Madison, could you share some info about the kind of stuff you were asked? I'm having a Skype meeting with a professor from WM on Sunday and I don't know if I should prepare something or not. 

Thanks!

I didn't see anything in the acceptance letter from USC about deciding before April 15, did you hear anything?

Let's see...here it is:

"In accordance with the Council of Graduate Schools resolution, you are expected to accept or reject this offer of admission and fellowship support by April 15, 2015."

Nothing about requiring an early decision. 

Also just got the email outlining the recruiting weekend details! Are you going?? I am for sure!

Heeey, any of those who got the interview for Wisconsin Madison, could you share some info about the kind of stuff you were asked? I'm having a Skype meeting with a professor from WM on Sunday and I don't know if I should prepare something or not. 

Thanks!

Which area of study did you apply to?

I would underscore some of what Pedanticistt said.

1. Extremely good fit with one of the profs. Such a strong fit that the Prof remarked on it too. I kind of feel like I'm mini!Prof. This is also the main reason I applied to the school and my proposed dissertation project involves looking at one of his earlier texts (foundational to the field) and examining how it can be brought current to modern technology and practices. I also think there are not a whole lot of other big profs studying this esoteric sub-field (fandom studies), so that makes the fit even more unique.

2. Prof remarked on how strong my writing sample was. He said that almost no one is really doing research at that particular intersection (fandom and race, specifically cross-racial cosplay) and that one of the big journals in the field had been looking for material of this sort and not finding it. 

3. Prof also mentioned that an MA in Performance Studies from NYU was "no small thing." or something to that effect. 

4. My biggest weakness was a low undergrad grade point average and Prof asked how he might defend that in the room. I explained that three big factors contributed to it. One, I went through some depression in undergrad and that had an adverse effect on some grades. Two, I struggled with some classes (inducing languages) that were outside of my major and later eliminated from the school curriculum (i.e. if I had been class of 2010 and not class of 2009, my transcript would have looked very different). I also explained how I would tackle the language issue differently in grad school. Three, I said honestly that in undergrad I had an attitude that was shaped by people telling me those were supposed to be the best years of my life, so I was determined to enjoy them. Prof really resonated with that and said he had a similar undergrad experience. 

So TL:DR -- Strong fit and writing sample (with good research area) got me the interview. Interview gave me a chance to confirm awesome fit and defend weaknesses. 

Thanks!

Thank you so much for this detailed response. It is very helpful.I shall PM you if I need more details.

Hmm... well good luck!

That would be awesome if we got to meet at the recruitment day!

The person who notified me sounded pretty down. They said they had to give a LOT of rejections today and they were really bummed out about it. Hopefully that means they've gotten a good chunk of rejections out of the way already?

Still no word from Boulder! Did you apply for the MA or the Phd? (Congrats by the way if I didn't say it before!!)

I didn't get in either. Have you heard anything from Wisconsin? I know they sent out interview invites but I haven't had any correspondence since I submitted the application. It's a poor fit but it seems strange to have no correspondence.

Off topic but has anyone been accepted at Maryland or UConn? I haven't seen anyone else that applied there

Still no word from Boulder! Did you apply for the MA or the Phd? (Congrats by the way if I didn't say it before!!)

Thanks!

I applied for the MA (but I intend to continue at wherever I go for the PhD). 

And I do hear that MA decisions tend to come out earlier than PhD decisions, pretty much across the board.

Congratulations on Purdue!

I didn't get in either. Have you heard anything from Wisconsin? I know they sent out interview invites but I haven't had any correspondence since I submitted the application. It's a poor fit but it seems strange to have no correspondence.

Off topic but has anyone been accepted at Maryland or UConn? I haven't seen anyone else that applied there

Haven't heard anything.  Thought there were some acceptances at both Maryland and Uconn a bit ago in the results search.  

Thanks!

And I do hear that MA decisions tend to come out earlier than PhD decisions, pretty much across the board.

Oh okay! I feel less manic now :) I applied for the phd. I'm currently working on my masters. Also, thank you! I'm really excited about it.

Thanks!

Were all your three apps for MAs? You'll have to reapply to the PhD after your master's, right?

Were all your three apps for MAs? You'll have to reapply to the PhD after your master's, right?

For Boulder and Albuquerque, I have to reapply.

For UCSB's Religious Studies program (the only non-comm program), I do not have to reapply because it is a combined MA/PhD program. 

It is also my dream beyond dream program, but I am still waiting to hear specifics about funding (besides what they've told me, which is that they've nominated me for the central fellowship, but won't know an answer for another month or so).

It's also sadly the least likely to work out, because I have a family requiring at least a 3-bedroom home ... and that costs a pretty pretty shiny penny on the coast of California ... Much prettier a penny than we are even close to having. We're working on it though... partner's looking for jobs already and I'm praying to the gods of graduate funding that they hook me up with a sweet package.

We'll see... :)