Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

I'm so excited for you! Are you going to visit the school before you decide?

Best thing about this is that I literally just visited Austin and walked around the entire campus about two weeks ago.  I really do like Austin quite a bit.  

Best thing about this is that I literally just visited Austin and walked around the entire campus about two weeks ago.  I really do like Austin quite a bit.  

Congrats Pedanticist! I have a few friends from college to who moved to Austin, they love the city. 

Edited by grad_wannabe

I have a question for you lot. 

If they don't volunteer the information, is it appropriate to ask how many people were granted interviews?

My gut says no but I think that information is pretty vital re: how many spots they have available this year.

Has anyone heard anything from USC Annenberg? Considering their crazy-early deadline I was hoping they'd have equally early notifications, but that looks like it's not the way things are going...

Hey, I just checked this thread for the first time this season (was too busy to be on GC during the app season, sadly). 

I just got emailed on Friday for an interview with my POI which is tentatively scheduled for this Thursday. I'm not the same as the person who already reported to the results as mentioned earlier in the thread. (I'm about to go do that now). 

Hey, I just checked this thread for the first time this season (was too busy to be on GC during the app season, sadly). 

I just got emailed on Friday for an interview with my POI which is tentatively scheduled for this Thursday. I'm not the same as the person who already reported to the results as mentioned earlier in the thread. (I'm about to go do that now). 

Congrats!  

Edited by The Pedanticist

Hmm, I got accepted there, too, but for comm. In comm, there are actually a few people not getting funded from the beginning I think but most of them would get some kind of funding or work eventually. But I ended up getting a funded offer, so I stopped worrying. I think the most reasonable thing to do is ask current students :)

For any other USC Annenberg applicants, I emailed their admissions office today to inquire about interview invites:

"Please note that not all applicants will receive an invitation to interview. Interview invitations are at the discretion of the admission committee which is still convening."

For any other USC Annenberg applicants, I emailed their admissions office today to inquire about interview invites:

"Please note that not all applicants will receive an invitation to interview. Interview invitations are at the discretion of the admission committee which is still convening."

Thanks for the update @_@ I wonder if they mean not everyone who's being considered will get an interview. Because, I mean, not every single applicant getting an interview is a given, right? 

Thanks for the update @_@ I wonder if they mean not everyone who's being considered will get an interview. Because, I mean, not every single applicant getting an interview is a given, right? 

I wondered precisely the same thing. At least we know the committee is still convening. 

Well, sorry to report that I was not accepted to UW Madison.

If you were interviewed for the MCS track, they voted today so you should be hearing back soon. Best of luck!

Well, sorry to report that I was not accepted to UW Madison.

If you were interviewed for the MCS track, they voted today so you should be hearing back soon. Best of luck!

Sorry to hear that.  But it bodes extremely well for your other applications that you got an interview at Wisconsin!

Sorry to hear that, Autumn. But it's great that the first two responses from schools have both been interview invites, and it'll serve as good practice for the next one. When's your next interview?

Congrats!  

Thanks! 

Perhaps it has to do with whether you mentioned a specific professor or not? I know my invitation to interview came from someone I talked about in my SOP as a person I was specifically applying to study with and my dissertation project idea revolved around his prior research, so maybe they thought it would be a good idea to see if the two of us are even compatible before taking my app further? that's the only insight I can offer. 

[Edit to Add:] Interview is tomorrow at 10am PDT/1pm EST.  I'll update after if people are interested...

Edited by roguesenna

At USC, not every admitted candidate was admitted after an interview. That's what that means. (I think in my cohort, most people did not have interviews but as we all know they changed some things in regard to the application process, so who knows if that's part of it.)

And the "interview weekend" is more like an invitation to get to know each other in order to make informed decisions about who would be a good fit. The interviewing goes both ways. At least asfaik. 

It might have to do with whether people talked with POI's before applying or met them at NCA.  I know I had moderately long conversation with one of my POI's last semester, so maybe an interview wouldn't be a high priority?  Just a hopeful guess. 

I likewise met with my usc poi, last fall when I visited campus. Not sure what effect that has on the process.. I also got 4 hits to my academia.edu page in Los Angeles yesterday, but then again usc is not the only LA school to which I applied. Staying hopeful!!

Autumn -- sorry to hear about Wisconsin! :(

but at least that will make your ultimate decision easier since you're getting interest from many campuses!

Edited by grad_wannabe

Ok, that one was much less stressful.

She only asked "why our program?" and as soon as I established that I'd researched the program and faculty, she was satisfied. 

The rest was me asking questions. 

She said they like to get their decisions out before other schools so I should hear back in the next couple of weeks. They're meeting as a committee to finalize decisions next week.

Positive thoughts!