Cell Phones

impatiens

I need to set up a new phone in DC because I'm moving from Toronto. I am excited at the prospect of no long distance and no roaming charges within the US.

Any suggestions for carriers and plans? Contract or pay as you go? Does anyone actually live without a cell phone? I've had one since ninth grade so I can't imagine living without one, but I recently discovered that one of the associates at my office has managed to do without one through undergrad, law school, and a few years on the job. :shock:

I'd love to get a Blackberry but I'm not sure I want to deal with a $90/mo phone bill (based on an estimate I did on the AT & T site) and I might regret being chained to my e-mail. I want bbm to keep in touch with a few friends and I'd love a qwerty keyboard because I hate texting/T9 on a normal phone, but mostly I want a Blackberry for vanity.... and so I think it's slightly not justifiable, especially if wireless internet abounds and everyone schleps their laptop around anyway.

I've heard that Columbia has a deal with AT &T for discounts... does anyone know if SAIS/JHU has a similar setup or if this is a common thing they have with most universities?

On the east coast, Verizon's service is pretty damn tough to beat. The coverage area is phenomenal and you rarely get dropped calls. They are expensive compared to other carriers, however.

I also recommend AT&T. I have no problems with it from New York to Florida on the East Coast. Plus they have treated me excellently with all types of deals for the past 10 years.

I am an international student looking at phone plans too. The cheapest monthly contract I have found so far is $29.99 with TMobile USA. They say they are the fourth biggest provider in the States. Does anyone know if they're good, I will be in the DC area?

Thanks for all of your opinions! I think I'm leaning towards either AT&T (JHU discount but I don't know how much yet) or T-mobile (because it's a bit cheaper) but I'll take a look at Verizon too because the prospect of being able to use my phone on the Metro is pretty tempting...

T-Mobile is horrid on the east coast. I switched away from them after a year of frustrating service with them (this was in Boston, MA). Verizon was leaps and bounds better than T-Mobile. I still use Verizon to this day. I'd gladly pay more for usable and reliable service.

I second T-Mobile's crappy service. While I have never had the service, I have several friends who have left their network because of it. My first and only provider has been AT&T. Best phone company ever for both their plans and customer service for my needs! And exceptionally good coverage in DC. Since JHU offers you a discount for it, I say go for it.

Thanks for the heads up Stories and FSIA!! I'm heading to AU and they have deals with AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint. T-mobile is definitely the cheapest ($29.99) for the most basic plan but from what you've said it looks like I should avoid this and have a look at what deals I can get with AT&T?

As long as you don't get a iPhone, you can get decent deals with AT&T. If you're going with Verizon, you're paying a lot no matter what, but Verizon has absolutely wonderful coverage and service.

What about midwest? Who has the best coverage in the Illinois?

Generally speaking the rule of thumb with cell phones is you pay for what you get. AT&T and Verizon are the most expensive but they tend to get the best coverage.

I'm on Verizon and when I visited UIUC, I got amazing coverage.