Women's Studies - Fall 2015

Guillaume

Actually, that is where I am reading it.  On the admit/rejection stats, some people have commented on the notes that they discovered they were accepted/rejected by going to the college's website.  I am confused as to where we find this information?  How do I go to my college's website and find if I was accepted or rejected?

Does anyone happen to know anything about UC schools? Specifically, UC Santa Barbara?

Most UC schools follow whatever previous years and are independent of a particular date (although they have their own guidelines they might share). I guess look up the results in results search and input "UC Santa Barbara or UCSB" "degree (feminist or gender? I forget UCSB's program). Hope it helps =).

Hey folks,

I'm a lurker on GC (this is a terrible role to take on; so much anxiety!), but I wanted to ask if anyone had heard what's going on with Rutger's Women/Gender Studies department. There was a brief hiccup in the discussion at some point that mentioned it, and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just call the DGS.

I shall now return to lurking, if only because I have to finish prepping to teach. Thanks in advance!

Anyone die hard about the IU-Bloomington program? The three readers for the admissions committee are all women (2 white and 1 WOC) and committed to diversifying the department. It sounds like they will be done with the first round by Jan 30. It's the only school I'm applying to right now. 

I'm in the same boat. I only applied to one Women's Studies program (M.A.) and it is my top choice. I'm a pretty decent fit for the department and for their applicant pool but...we'll see :-/ If I am accepted, it's obviously where I am headed, if I'm not accepted, I will probably reconsider graduate school in the humanities given my late start (I just entered my 29th year in December).

Best of luck to you!

Hi everyone! 

I just discovered this part of the forum so excuse my tardiness. I applied to Michigan's WS/History program. 

I didn't discover a love of women's studies until grad school (where I focused on women's health so it seems like a pretty good gateway drug :P). Since then, I've been taking a lot of grad level WS courses here at Michigan and I have my fingers crossed but I know the odds are low. 

Good luck everyone!

Hi Guys, 

Just discovered this thread! I have applied to 3 GWS programs and would love to get other peoples opinions on them. (In case I land up in the wonderful position of having to choose between them  :lol: )

Rutgers, Minnesota and UCSC?

Any thoughts? 

Hi Guys, 

Just discovered this thread! I have applied to 3 GWS programs and would love to get other peoples opinions on them. (In case I land up in the wonderful position of having to choose between them  :lol: )

Rutgers, Minnesota and UCSC?

Any thoughts? 

Have you heard back from Minnesota yet? They made their decisions already. 

Minnesota and Rutgers are pretty well-known. Placement records at both are excellent. I think if you want to focus on a particular field look at both Minnesota's and Rutgers' course offerings and see which field fits you best. If you get into both, then it depends on your preference and where you wish to live (Minnesota is brutally cold and NJ is well boring but not as cold?).

UCSC is rather a new program and placement is really known about that yet. I don't know too much about UCSC.

thanks for the thoughts!

I am very concerned about both cold and boring! 

Offered a spot at Minnesota and had interviews with the two others. I have a favorite but I also want some solid advice from people who have been thinking about it. 

thanks for the thoughts!

I am very concerned about both cold and boring! 

Offered a spot at Minnesota and had interviews with the two others. I have a favorite but I also want some solid advice from people who have been thinking about it. 

Well, congrats about Minnesota! (I've been waitlisted and it is one of my top choices so I'm a bit jealous, haha...make a decision soon...haha).

Seriously, if you hear good news form UCSC and Rutgers, it is really up to your career goals and which program and faculty as well sa location fits the best with you. I think some research about each of the faculty (if you didn't already do so) and research about each of the location is really a must before you could make any decisions. I am still waiting to hear back from 4 other programs but I would definitely pick the one that I believe fits my interests and research goals the best and is located in a place where I can achieve those.

Edit: Although Minnesota is cold, is does have a city life. Although Rutgers (NJ in general) is boring, it is about 1-2 hours away from NYC, where you can pretty much do or go anywhere. These are some factors to consider. There will be pros and cons to the locations, but only you know what you want. Hope that helps=)

Edited by FeministCorgi

Hi all, does anyone have any info on the Global Gender Studies PhD program at SUNY Buffalo? I don't see it spoken about here, nor is it as flashy as an Emory or Rutgers for instance, but I've been admitted with full funding (+ TA position and a sizable Presidential Fellowship) and so am curious to know more.

Edited by HntsPntBx

I don't knmuca lot about that program in particular but I can say that Buffalo has an exceptionally strong complit program with some profs working in feminism. Their English dept is also very good. I imagine you would take some courses in other depts? If so this could be an important factor.

I don't knmuca lot about that program in particular but I can say that Buffalo has an exceptionally strong complit program with some profs working in feminism. Their English dept is also very good. I imagine you would take some courses in other depts? If so this could be an important factor.

Thanks; this is super helpful! The Gender faculty also seem to have strong English & CompLit backgrounds. It's seemed like a very welcoming department, and I'm planning on going to visit and ask questions (ie, what are department strengths). Just really uncertain where it fares in regards to others, as I'm sure they won't tell me that necessarily -- don't want to accidentally end up in a program dismissed in the field...

I don't have an academic background in Gender (my experience is all fieldwork), so I missed out on need-to-knows, like respected vs. non-respected institutions.  :unsure:

This helps ease my mind.

Edited by HntsPntBx

Wow, huge congrats on the offer, Lorelai! That's amazing!!!

But yeah, waiting until April to hear if you can fund it does not sound like fun.... :-/ Best of luck, though, and I do hope that it works out!