Women's Studies - Fall 2015

Guillaume

Yay, I just got an acceptance to Stony Brook's Cultural Analysis and Theory Ph.D. Program with an emphasis in Women's Studies! I got a Teaching Assistanceship for $17,000 a year and I'm nominated for a Graduate Council Fellowship.

Edit: I should add that I got an unofficial email from the Director of Graduate Studies for the Women's Studies department, and she said I should be getting a formal letter soon. So other folks who applied to Stony Brook may have a bit of wiggle room for when they'll get their notifications.

Edited by juiceboxrampage

Yay, I just got an acceptance to Stony Brook's Cultural Analysis and Theory Ph.D. Program with an emphasis in Women's Studies! I got a Teaching Assistanceship for $17,000 a year and I'm nominated for a Graduate Council Fellowship.

Congrats!!!! I am hoping to hear good news over here, still.. *fingers crossed*

Hey everyone! I hope your wait isn't to excruciating. 

I have applied to nine programs (a mix of MA and PhDs) thus far. I have heard from three that were rejections--Ohio State, University of Minnesota, and Rutgers--two that have accepted me with some funding--Simmons and Brandeis. I am still waiting to hear from U Wisconsin, U Washington, Arizona State, and U Texas. Has anyone heard from these other schools? Simmons wants a decision by March 13th,much earlier than the other schools I am assuming. Has anyone else run into early decision requests? 

Also, I have started the application process for DePaul but have lost motivation because of my other acceptances. Any suggestions on how to regain my motivation so I can submit just one last application?

Hey everyone! I hope your wait isn't to excruciating. 

I have applied to nine programs (a mix of MA and PhDs) thus far. I have heard from three that were rejections--Ohio State, University of Minnesota, and Rutgers--two that have accepted me with some funding--Simmons and Brandeis. I am still waiting to hear from U Wisconsin, U Washington, Arizona State, and U Texas. Has anyone heard from these other schools? Simmons wants a decision by March 13th,much earlier than the other schools I am assuming. Has anyone else run into early decision requests? 

Also, I have started the application process for DePaul but have lost motivation because of my other acceptances. Any suggestions on how to regain my motivation so I can submit just one last application?

If you have a fully funded acceptance, I do not think anything can really re-motivate you. Sorry for being brutally honest. Regarding the early decisino request, you can request an extension by a week or so saying you want to visit, if you haven't, and plan out your life opportunities so you know you are making the correct choice and that it is not a rushed choice. Something along the lines of this.

Congrats on your 2 acceptances. my fingers are crossed for the wait list with Minnesota (I really want to go there, IUB, or UofM). 

If you have a fully funded acceptance, I do not think anything can really re-motivate you. Sorry for being brutally honest. Regarding the early decisino request, you can request an extension by a week or so saying you want to visit, if you haven't, and plan out your life opportunities so you know you are making the correct choice and that it is not a rushed choice. Something along the lines of this.

Congrats on your 2 acceptances. my fingers are crossed for the wait list with Minnesota (I really want to go there, IUB, or UofM). 

I am at a school that is an affiliate campus of IU Bloomington. It is an amazing school! I have presented at their Women's and Gender Studies conference for the last two years and I think anyone who gets in there is amazing! I am assuming your work involves queer theory, LGBTQ studies, or media in one way or another. I know that is what they specialize in and look for most often. I have a friend who is a PhD candidate and is defending her dissertation next month. I will see if she knows when they send out their decisions. 

University of Minnesota was my #1 pick. I guess I just wasn't right for them this time around. It would be a dream to work with Dr. Nagar! Good luck!! 

I am leaning towards Brandeis at the moment but am also hoping to hear back from the other schools soon. 

How have others asked about decision deadlines? I was wondering if I could use Simmons' early deadline reason to ask. 

I am at a school that is an affiliate campus of IU Bloomington. It is an amazing school! I have presented at their Women's and Gender Studies conference for the last two years and I think anyone who gets in there is amazing! I am assuming your work involves queer theory, LGBTQ studies, or media in one way or another. I know that is what they specialize in and look for most often. I have a friend who is a PhD candidate and is defending her dissertation next month. I will see if she knows when they send out their decisions. 

University of Minnesota was my #1 pick. I guess I just wasn't right for them this time around. It would be a dream to work with Dr. Nagar! Good luck!! 

I am leaning towards Brandeis at the moment but am also hoping to hear back from the other schools soon. 

How have others asked about decision deadlines? I was wondering if I could use Simmons' early deadline reason to ask. 

Haha, yes, my reserach revolves around all 3 of those and includes performance studies as well (cannot really say much more.. do grad admissions check these, haha?...). As i said earlier, Brenda Weber is like my dream person to work with at IUB!  Well, with Minnesota the waitlist decision was pretty much telling me the candidates have until April 15th, which is the general stand-by rule for any university. Thus, it is really weird a school is forcing you to decide by the 15th. check with general graduate admissions because a department cannot go against the general admission rules and regulations and cannot force students to accept or reject an offer unless that is their policy, albeit rare does exist in some universities.

And yes again, that early decision deadline is crazy. I know law schools have early decision policies, which bind you to attend a certain school but PhD programs in interdisciplinary studies do not have that stand-by rule. Hope this helps =)! 

I wanted to weigh in on Simmons (Gender and Cultural Studies, right?) and say that you probably could ask for an extension to April 15. With the rolling deadline for admissions applications at Simmons, I think it would be okay especially if you point out that most other schools have a deadline of April 15 for decisions. Worst case scenario, they say no, but I think it's probably unlikely that they'll say no.

I am definitely going to ask for an extension and try and visit both campuses (as well as others if they accept me). I have been told that it is necessary to visit before making the final decision about where to go. @RoundandRoundAgain:  I see that you are in Boston would you mind answering some questions about the area? I am a single mom and would like any helpful tips/knowledge about Boston and the surrounding area you would be willing to offer. You can PM me if you are willing and would be more comfortable with that. 

AmityDuPeuple: I too am from Boston (currently living out of state for a funded master's, but still have a place in the city, about four miles from Simmons, actually). If you need any additional input you can PM me.

Hey, 

It may make you feel better to know that Richa Nagar is no longer at Minnesota. 

edit: she wont be there in the coming year 

Edited by nervous.

I am definitely going to ask for an extension and try and visit both campuses (as well as others if they accept me). I have been told that it is necessary to visit before making the final decision about where to go. @RoundandRoundAgain:  I see that you are in Boston would you mind answering some questions about the area? I am a single mom and would like any helpful tips/knowledge about Boston and the surrounding area you would be willing to offer. You can PM me if you are willing and would be more comfortable with that. 

Sure, I can try to answer questions for you. I live out in the suburbs of Boston (Medford area which doesn't mean much but it requires a bus to a train to a bus to get home at night). 

The best tip I can give you is to start really early in terms of looking for a place to live. Boston is generally really expensive and it can be hard to find a place to live. People in Boston start looking about now for housing in September. 

I would also be glad to answer any questions about Simmons - I'm graduating this year from the GCS program though I've taken mostly English classes.

Hey, 

It may make you feel better to know that Richa Nagar is no longer at Minnesota. 

edit: she wont be there in the coming year 

Right, Nagar is coming to IU-B as the Peg Zeglin Brand Endowed Chair in Gender Studies this upcoming fall semester.

Has anyone heard anything UCSB feminist studies or Michigan joint women's studies programs, by any chance?

Michigan's joint in what? I applied for History/WS and have not heard back. I was told it's a very slow process. 

Hey ya'll.

I just heard about my acceptance to IU-Bloomington. So for thsoe we were wondering, it should come soon.

Full funding and the like ! YAY! 

Only downside - their visit is the same weekend as OSU. And I've already committed to checking them out. 

But still YAY! 

Hey ya'll.

I just heard about my acceptance to IU-Bloomington. So for thsoe we were wondering, it should come soon.

Full funding and the like ! YAY! 

Only downside - their visit is the same weekend as OSU. And I've already committed to checking them out. 

But still YAY! 

Oh wow congrats! Did you hear via e-mail?