Women's Studies - Fall 2015

Guillaume

Hey ya'll

Any advice for visiting campuses? This is more for those currently in MA programs who've had to  go through the process.

Any questions you wished you would have asked?

Also interested in what to pack? Is casual good or should I like throw in a blazer?

The school I'm going to see just said something about umbrellas and layers.

Any tidbits would be greatly appreciated!

I am not currently in an MA program. However, I am making my first visit in one week (EEEE!). I think it depends on what you have scheduled. I am attending a class and meeting with several different professors, current students, and faculty in other departments so I am packing mostly business casual, which can be worn comfortably across several different settings. That being said, I am also attending a symposium at which there will be professors from other schools and I may choose to dress in business professional attire for that event. 

In general I think it best to ask questions about the things that mattered most to you in undergrad: research, relationships with professors, general campus culture, city culture, etc. I think a lot can be learned by soaking-in a place and trying to get as full of an experience and picture of the program, university, city, etc while you are there. 

I am not currently in an MA program. However, I am making my first visit in one week (EEEE!). I think it depends on what you have scheduled. I am attending a class and meeting with several different professors, current students, and faculty in other departments so I am packing mostly business casual, which can be worn comfortably across several different settings. That being said, I am also attending a symposium at which there will be professors from other schools and I may choose to dress in business professional attire for that event. 

In general I think it best to ask questions about the things that mattered most to you in undergrad: research, relationships with professors, general campus culture, city culture, etc. I think a lot can be learned by soaking-in a place and trying to get as full of an experience and picture of the program, university, city, etc while you are there. 

Thanks so much for your feedback. I just received my finalized itinerary so it should help me plan effectively and NOT overpack LOL.

I'm super pumped too and have googled all of the places we will be eating... being the foodie that I am haha

Thanks so much for your feedback. I just received my finalized itinerary so it should help me plan effectively and NOT overpack LOL.

I'm super pumped too and have googled all of the places we will be eating... being the foodie that I am haha

I must admit that I am envious that you know where you will be eating. I do not. I am a total foodie too and usually quite adventurous in my eating, but it would be nice to know what to expect. 

Chiming in! Anyone going to IUB recruitment weekend this Thursday-Sat?

I wish I could go but I'm going to a diff school's weekend. Planning on visiting IU in April.

After the weekend, I'd love to hear what you thought. 

I know my visit won't be as exciting as the official one and don't want that to influence my final decision. 

I wish I could go but I'm going to a diff school's weekend. Planning on visiting IU in April.

After the weekend, I'd love to hear what you thought. 

I know my visit won't be as exciting as the official one and don't want that to influence my final decision. 

I will PM you when I return. I am excited, nervous, and terrified. Most importantly, I want to know about funding. =p

Manders816 - and anyone else who applied to the MA program at UT Austin, 

I just received an email from the director of graduate studies. She stated, "Our admissions committee is a bit behind this year due to the flu.

We hope to post decisions by next week."

Just thought I would let you know. 

I will PM you when I return. I am excited, nervous, and terrified. Most importantly, I want to know about funding. =p

THIS! The graduate school has already started communicating with me about the next steps, but truthfully, without at least full tuition remission, I will not be going...and I REALLY want to go!

If the person who was accepted to the UMich English and Women's Studies PhD program sees this, could you please PM me? I'm interested in applying to that program next year if this round's applications don't work out. I would really, really appreciate some insight from a successful applicant.

Ok guys - I'm in need of some advice!

I applied to the Brandeis MA program and they want to skype interview with me this week. Has anyone had one of these interviews? How does it go usually? I know it's supposed to be "informal" but I'm still nervous. What do they usually ask?

Any info/encouragement would be appreciated  :)

I applied to the Brandeis MA program and they want to skype interview with me this week. Has anyone had one of these interviews? How does it go usually? I know it's supposed to be "informal" but I'm still nervous. What do they usually ask?

I had an interview with another program last month, it was for a PhD program, but I'll share what I know.  Obviously some of my questions were based around the PhD, but I imagine they might ask something similar for the MA.  

It was with most of the department.  There were only a few people on screen but everybody else was in the room, I just couldn't see them.  It was very fast, maybe only lasted 15 minutes.  I don't remember everything, but here are the questions I do recall:  

What are your biggest concerns about getting a PhD?

Why a PhD in Women's Studies?

Why that particular university?

What have you learned most about yourself through your research? (this was the question I was not prepared for)

Who in women's studies inspires you?

How do you imagine your PhD research will be done/look like and what problems do you anticipate?

Do you have any questions for our department?

That was it.  I am pretty sure that's just about everything.  I was really nervous, made my sister skype me 15 minutes before to make sure she could see me and hear me.  All in all though, it wasn't too tough.  Just be yourself and be honest and if it's a good fit, it will come through!  Good luck!!

I had an interview with another program last month, it was for a PhD program, but I'll share what I know.  Obviously some of my questions were based around the PhD, but I imagine they might ask something similar for the MA.  

It was with most of the department.  There were only a few people on screen but everybody else was in the room, I just couldn't see them.  It was very fast, maybe only lasted 15 minutes.  I don't remember everything, but here are the questions I do recall:  

What are your biggest concerns about getting a PhD?

Why a PhD in Women's Studies?

Why that particular university?

What have you learned most about yourself through your research? (this was the question I was not prepared for)

Who in women's studies inspires you?

How do you imagine your PhD research will be done/look like and what problems do you anticipate?

Do you have any questions for our department?

That was it.  I am pretty sure that's just about everything.  I was really nervous, made my sister skype me 15 minutes before to make sure she could see me and hear me.  All in all though, it wasn't too tough.  Just be yourself and be honest and if it's a good fit, it will come through!  Good luck!!

Annwyn- thank you so much! That gives me a lot to think about. I'm glad yours went well - how long did it take them to make a decision afterward?

I am on a visit to Brandeis as we speak. Do you have any questions I can answer for you? Speaking about the Graduate Consortium of Women's Studies would be a bonus, prof I spoke with talked about how amazing it is. 

Annwyn- thank you so much! That gives me a lot to think about. I'm glad yours went well - how long did it take them to make a decision afterward?

I just got my rejection today, a little more than four weeks later.  :(  BUT, I had another interview that was in public health (so slightly different questions) and they called me back ten minutes later with an offer of acceptance.  So it probably depends on the department.  I imagine that it is already mid-March that you won't have to wait long for your answer!  

Thanks both of you! 

I am on a visit to Brandeis as we speak. Do you have any questions I can answer for you? Speaking about the Graduate Consortium of Women's Studies would be a bonus, prof I spoke with talked about how amazing it is. 

Thanks Amity! I'll be PMing you.

I just got my rejection today, a little more than four weeks later.   :(  BUT, I had another interview that was in public health (so slightly different questions) and they called me back ten minutes later with an offer of acceptance.  So it probably depends on the department.  I imagine that it is already mid-March that you won't have to wait long for your answer!  

I'm sorry to hear that annwyn- but congratulations on the public health acceptance! What program are you leaning towards so far?

I'm so thankful I found this place from googling. I applied to eight different PhD programs (WGS, WGSS, FS) and got rejections back from all but two. I was having a serious freakout because I know how competitive it is but it is a whole other ballgame when those rejection emails start coming in. I kept wondering what was wrong with me, you know? My adviser was shocked I didn't get into Rutgers. She thought that was going to be a guarantee. 

I'm waiting to hear back from UCSC and Simon Fraser. But I didn't get any calls from UCSC about interviewing so I'm not really optimistic now. I am thinking if I go through this process again this fall, I might have to expand out of WGS and into some different fields. I did a round of Communication PhD apps Fall 2013 and was waitlisted then rejected. I just really don't want to go through it again. I'm sure we've all been there. 

I'm sorry to hear that annwyn- but congratulations on the public health acceptance! What program are you leaning towards so far?

Honestly, my best offer right now the public health offer is by far the best, so I imagine that is where I will I go.  

I'm so thankful I found this place from googling. I applied to eight different PhD programs (WGS, WGSS, FS) and got rejections back from all but two. I was having a serious freakout because I know how competitive it is but it is a whole other ballgame when those rejection emails start coming in. I kept wondering what was wrong with me, you know? My adviser was shocked I didn't get into Rutgers. She thought that was going to be a guarantee. 

I'm waiting to hear back from UCSC and Simon Fraser. But I didn't get any calls from UCSC about interviewing so I'm not really optimistic now. I am thinking if I go through this process again this fall, I might have to expand out of WGS and into some different fields. I did a round of Communication PhD apps Fall 2013 and was waitlisted then rejected. I just really don't want to go through it again. I'm sure we've all been there. 

This process is very challenging and heartwrenching at times. Some good advice I have received along the way is to contact programs from which you were rejected and ask if they can give you feedback about your application. It looks like you applied to several schools, so you have a great opportunity to get direct, individualized feedback. That feedback has been crucial to me during the application process and has helped me find my way.

This process is very challenging and heartwrenching at times. Some good advice I have received along the way is to contact programs from which you were rejected and ask if they can give you feedback about your application. It looks like you applied to several schools, so you have a great opportunity to get direct, individualized feedback. That feedback has been crucial to me during the application process and has helped me find my way.

Thank you. I actually got the same feedback from some others. I did contact a few of the schools already. The ones I heard back from told me that basically my credentials were amazing but the people I wanted to work with were too busy to take on another PhD student or that I wasn't a good fit. I would prefer that to the crickets I heard from other schools.

I also personally think my statement of purpose isn't strong enough. I did research, read websites, etc but due to departmental drama, I haven't had a lot of support from my MA program. The adviser I have is actually from a whole other department and is more of a friendship than anything official. Again, that is why I am so glad I found this place. I already got some fantastic tips from the SOP thread. I really just want to take everyone on this forum out for coffee or tea or alcohol. It's been invaluable. I just wish I had found it in September! 

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask (maybe someone can suggest a better forum) but if I am applying again to the same program next year, should I submit a new writing sample as well as new SOP and letters? The writing sample I submitted was my strongest work in my MA program and my adviser was very adamant that this sample was the best. Do rejections from past rounds reflect poorly on you the next time around? 

Maybe this is the wrong place to ask (maybe someone can suggest a better forum) but if I am applying again to the same program next year, should I submit a new writing sample as well as new SOP and letters? The writing sample I submitted was my strongest work in my MA program and my adviser was very adamant that this sample was the best. Do rejections from past rounds reflect poorly on you the next time around? 

I would be interested to read people's thoughts on this as well! :)

I would suggest seeing if there is any way you can improve on what you have. I am of the opinion that nothing is ever perfect and can always be improved upon. I think this may show the reviewers that you took the time to work on your writing but that the subject matter is what you would like to continue working with in the future. 

I would suggest seeing if there is any way you can improve on what you have. I am of the opinion that nothing is ever perfect and can always be improved upon. I think this may show the reviewers that you took the time to work on your writing but that the subject matter is what you would like to continue working with in the future. 

Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping to also reach out to get some more help too. Can't hurt right?