2015 - Social Psych

FinallyAccepted

Hi!

This is my second time applying and so I applied to 9 programs: UC Irvine(Psychology and Social Behavior), UC Davis, University of Oregon, University of British Columbia, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, University of Toronto, Arizona State University, Washington University in St. Louis, and Yale. 

I was rejected from Wash U, and I am fairly certain that I'll get a rejection letter from U of Oregon (I didn't get an invite to the interview), I had a Skype interview for Toronto, but other than that it has been radio silent. 

Has anyone heard back from UC Irvine, UC Davis, Arizona State University, Yale, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, or University of British Columbia? I'm especially interested in UC Irvine because it is my top choice and their website said that applicants will hear about interviews by end of January.... And now's the end of January... Which makes me super nervous.

You're the only other person I've seen mention British Columbia. I applied there too but haven't heard anything yet. Their website says—"Files will be reviewed starting in early December with early decisions made by mid-January. All offers of admission will be made by April 1, 2015."—which is about as vague as you can get unless you're an "early decision."

All the invites have been sent out for UC Irvine, UC Davis, and Yale

Awesome... :( So I'll put those down as rejections...

Looks like I may have to take another year off... :(

Edited by coffeeaddict29

I've also lost all hope on Oregon.  :unsure: For UIUC, there is some good news though. I called the admissions coordinator at UIUC yesterday and she said that the social-personality division hasn't met yet and was adamant that we should hear something definite (admit/reject) in late February and for interviews a good time before that. 

Thanks... UIUC , UBC, and ASU are my last shreds of hope... Fingers crossed that I won't have to take a year off.

You're the only other person I've seen mention British Columbia. I applied there too but haven't heard anything yet. Their website says—"Files will be reviewed starting in early December with early decisions made by mid-January. All offers of admission will be made by April 1, 2015."—which is about as vague as you can get unless you're an "early decision."

Thanks. At least there's a little bit of hope left for that.

I emailed my POI at Oregon earlier, and he said that the lack of interview invite meant I was "out of the running for admission"—which seemed to be a pretty definitive statement to me, i.e., no waitlist. This may vary by POI though.

Man, I hate this. If this is the case, why can't they send us a rejection notification? I have like 8 schools I can maybe assume rejection from because others have heard things and I haven't, but I'm never sure if maybe I just missed that e-mail somehow.

Emailed one of my POIs a very polite email asking whether she's finished sending out interview invites. I'm pretty sure all the department invites have gone out by looking at the results page. She hasn't emailed back in 2 days but has time to go on twitter!

I just think its just a joke that we pay all this money to be treated like crap! Sorry to vent but it wouldn't take much to just send a quick email saying that she has and that's it. Urgh

Man, I hate this. If this is the case, why can't they send us a rejection notification? I have like 8 schools I can maybe assume rejection from because others have heard things and I haven't, but I'm never sure if maybe I just missed that e-mail somehow.

I'm with you there. If they already know they're rejecting us, why make us agonize for months before sending the official rejection? We shouldn't be forced to send awkward emails to grad coordinators or POIs asking if there's any hope.

I'm with you there. If they already know they're rejecting us, why make us agonize for months before sending the official rejection? We shouldn't be forced to send awkward emails to grad coordinators or POIs asking if there's any hope.

I noticed on the results page that USC didn't send out rejections last year until the end of March. Like....seriously? I understand it's a hectic process for them but, come on.

Edited by mb712

Emailed one of my POIs a very polite email asking whether she's finished sending out interview invites. I'm pretty sure all the department invites have gone out by looking at the results page. She hasn't emailed back in 2 days but has time to go on twitter!

I just think its just a joke that we pay all this money to be treated like crap! Sorry to vent but it wouldn't take much to just send a quick email saying that she has and that's it. Urgh

I can't work up the courage to send any emails to POIs even though the silence is driving me insane.

I noticed on the results page that USC didn't send out rejections last year until the end of March. Like....seriously? I understand it's a hectic process for them but, come on.

Most of mine historically send out rejections in March too. Some people even said they never received notice, and were only told they were rejected when they called in April.

Edited by smbtuckma

Most of mine historically send out rejections in March too. Some people even said they never received notice, and were only told they were rejected when they called in April.

I'm going to go insane if I don't hear anything for another two months.

Many places only send out formal rejections after all offers have been accepted or rejected, either on the off chance they have to go back to the pool or because they're busy. Businesses work this way too.

Sure. For efficiency's sake on both sides it would make sense to severe ties with the bottom 50% that don't have a chance early on in the process, though. Oh well.

Sure. For efficiency's sake on both sides it would make sense to severe ties with the bottom 50% that don't have a chance early on in the process, though. Oh well.

Telling people information earlier is actually not as efficient because some number of the early rejections will likely email back with something like "Thanks for considering me" and another fraction will email back with questions on why they are rejected and what they can do better next time etc. Having all these emails (the bottom 50% might number in the hundreds) can clog up the inbox of the admin assistant who is trying to send offers to accepted people, coordinate interviews and/or plan visit days (not to mention all of the other work they normally do). I think it's actually more efficient for schools to wait until after the accepted students visit and all of the expenses processed before they send mass rejections. 

I think it's especially not useful to notify students of an early rejection because if that's the only decision we have heard thus far, we would panic and wonder if we would be rejected everywhere and want to know answers to the questions I wrote above. Instead, waiting until March/April to reject students usually means some of the rejected students might have got in elsewhere and would not be as worried / less likely to respond. 

Basically, I think the optimal strategy for both parties is to send acceptances as soon as possible and rejections later (but before April 15). It reduces the work for schools, which increases communication efficiency for applicants. Reducing unnecessary work for admin assistants is also better for the current students in the program. And, as applicants, it's much less stressful for the first decision we hear to be good news -- personally, I find getting a rejection much easier / less stressful if I already had an acceptance.

Telling people information earlier is actually not as efficient because some number of the early rejections will likely email back with something like "Thanks for considering me" and another fraction will email back with questions on why they are rejected and what they can do better next time etc. Having all these emails (the bottom 50% might number in the hundreds) can clog up the inbox of the admin assistant who is trying to send offers to accepted people, coordinate interviews and/or plan visit days (not to mention all of the other work they normally do). I think it's actually more efficient for schools to wait until after the accepted students visit and all of the expenses processed before they send mass rejections. 

I think it's especially not useful to notify students of an early rejection because if that's the only decision we have heard thus far, we would panic and wonder if we would be rejected everywhere and want to know answers to the questions I wrote above. Instead, waiting until March/April to reject students usually means some of the rejected students might have got in elsewhere and would not be as worried / less likely to respond. 

Basically, I think the optimal strategy for both parties is to send acceptances as soon as possible and rejections later (but before April 15). It reduces the work for schools, which increases communication efficiency for applicants. Reducing unnecessary work for admin assistants is also better for the current students in the program. And, as applicants, it's much less stressful for the first decision we hear to be good news -- personally, I find getting a rejection much easier / less stressful if I already had an acceptance.

Could be. There are also dozens of posters on this forum talking about calling and email admissions administration trying to figure out what their status is because they haven't heard anything, so things are getting in the way of smooth communication with those invited for interviews and being sent acceptances regardless!