2015 - Social Psych

FinallyAccepted

OMG, I am laughing so hard because I didn't even think of doing this... evil laughter.

Especially given how one of my teachers said they got into their program: walked in and said "I'm going to grad school here, what do I have to do."

Regardless of gender, that takes some figurative cojones.

I just wish we were allowed to plan these things out better if they DO already know when the weekend will be.  I'm finding that I'm not wanting to commit right away to an interview weekend date because I don't know if another school would have theirs planned the SAME weekend but just hasn't TOLD me yet.  If I knew that none of the others would, I would've committed immediately, but I don't want to decide something without having all the facts.  I'm not going to back out of a commitment that I've already made.

Regardless of gender, that takes some figurative cojones.

I just wish we were allowed to plan these things out better if they DO already know when the weekend will be.  I'm finding that I'm not wanting to commit right away to an interview weekend date because I don't know if another school would have theirs planned the SAME weekend but just hasn't TOLD me yet.  If I knew that none of the others would, I would've committed immediately, but I don't want to decide something without having all the facts.  I'm not going to back out of a commitment that I've already made.

I don't think they are purposing withholding information from students! The grad students at the program are sometimes involved in planning the interview/visit weekend too and we don't usually find out any sooner than you do. The biggest constraint is probably professor availability -- all of them are so busy with classes and conferences and other duties that it is pretty tough to both find a time that they are all together and get them to schedule that time this far in advance. Many profs only plan a few weeks ahead at a time.

The other reason it might be slow is in small fields like mine (<10 students admitted per year in most departments), they might actually plan the visit days around their favourite candidates (if it's a post-acceptance visit rather than an interview), or the dates that agree with the most candidates. If this is the case, they usually ask candidates to rank some dates upon acceptance.

Does it look bad for an applicant invited for an interview weekend to not immediately respond with a resounding "Yes!! Thanks so much for inviting me!!" I was told to let them know by January 9th, and I haven't let them know yet just because I don't know about the other programs' interview dates yet. I was going to see what I heard in the next week.

Thoughts?

Can the people who posted their results from the Rochester and Missouri-Columbia Social Psychology program PM me their POIs? It would be greatly appreciated, thanks and a big congrats!

Thanks!

That's what I'm hoping for: a disappointing rookie year and an outstanding sophomore one.  I do feel more confident, so we'll see.  I'm not sure how the various programs feel about students who already have a masters (not that I got the masters to get out of classes, necessarily).

This year, I decided to apply with more innovative, less established/well-known POIs.  I'm more excited about the professors this year than last year.  My fingers are definitely crossed.

UT - Bertram Gawronski

UCSB - Brenda Major

I heard via email and have a phone interview with Brenda Major set up. Have you heard anything from UCSB?

Correct me if there is a better place to post this, but I've been invited to one interview on campus!

School Name: University of Iowa
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/7/2015
Degree: PhD
Type: Social psychology
Notified via:Email
Interview Date: 2/7/2015-2/9/2015
Additional Info:e.g., apparently I only spend about an hour with my POI one-on-one

I'm pleasantly surprised since my overall GPA is so low (between 2.9 and 3.2). The people in the labs I currently work in were rather surprised I received an invitation so early, so I guess it's still pretty early in the game. I'm quite excited and nervous. Last year for apps, I only emailed 2 POI's, and I applied to 9 schools, and got one phone call from one only. I botched it completely - I was so paralyzed with nerves that I only answered the prof's questions directly and did not ask him any questions about his research at all, only generic questions like "Where are you heading in the next few years?" "How many graduate students do you have right now?"

*crossed fingers* If I made it to interview weekend for UIowa, I think I should also make it to the penultimate rounds of cuts in other schools, which are all ranked top 30 and above.

Correct me if there is a better place to post this, but I've been invited to one interview on campus!

School Name: University of IowaDate Interview Invite Received: 1/7/2015Degree: PhDType: Social psychologyNotified via:EmailFrom:POIInterview Date: 2/7/2015-2/9/2015Additional Info:e.g., apparently I only spend about an hour with my POI one-on-one

I'm pleasantly surprised since my overall GPA is so low (between 2.9 and 3.2). The people in the labs I currently work in were rather surprised I received an invitation so early, so I guess it's still pretty early in the game. I'm quite excited and nervous. Last year for apps, I only emailed 2 POI's, and I applied to 9 schools, and got one phone call from one only. I botched it completely - I was so paralyzed with nerves that I only answered the prof's questions directly and did not ask him any questions about his research at all, only generic questions like "Where are you heading in the next few years?" "How many graduate students do you have right now?"

*crossed fingers* If I made it to interview weekend for UIowa, I think I should also make it to the penultimate rounds of cuts in other schools, which are all ranked top 30 and above.

Congrats on the interview.

You could use the Results Search link at the top to post it for all to see (it would be anonymous). Additionally, if you're comfortable, would you please PM me your POI?

Thanks!

Edited by shana.teacher

Hey social psych friends. This is my first application cycle. Does it generally take longer to hear back from social psych programs as opposed to clinical? I did apply to some clinical programs, but only those with a community emphasis and the two that were clinical, I am quite certain I did not get an interview (most invites have gone out, but I haven't received any official rejection yet). However, my top choice which is UMich P&SC, I haven't heard anything from yet and the application was due on December 1st. Is this normally how it goes? 

I did have a preliminary phone interview from my POI at one program and it seems as if they are making decisions in the coming week so I am wondering if this is the case for most other non-clinical programs. 

Also, for those who may have more information, how often does funding not happen for social psych programs? It seems that most clinical programs tend to almost always fund.  Anyone have any insight on any of this? Thanks guys! Hope you're all hanging in there. I think I am starting to go a bit crazy. Good thing I am on a message board with a bunch of psych people ;) 

PhD programs SHOULD provide funding, but you have to double check with each program just to make sure. When I was doing searches, it seemed like they provided funding for tuition, but the differences were really in (1) how much of a stipend a student could expect per year and (2) how long funding would be provided (4 or 5 years is what I generally saw in my programs).

Here is an old thread from last year that could show you what different programs provided for students in the last application cycle:

It does seem that more people have posted stuff for clinical than social on the Results Search so far. I don't know if it's a general rule, though. You can always check the Results Search for previous years for each program you applied to in order to see if the Clinical tended to send out info earlier than the Social programs.

This is also my first cycle. I actually tried searching for my schools on the results page and found that they tend to post social Psych results in February/March. Clinical was earlier for each of those schools. I think they all provide funding for five years if accepted (if I read their sites correctly!). I really hope that I hear from one of them soon, but I'm not holding my breath. 

Good points! I definitely will check previous years to see when I can expect some word.

The POI that I have been speaking with has an NIH grant. Not sure if there is funding built in it for a graduate student though. She mentioned on the phone that she was not sure if she would definitely be getting a graduate student and if so, how many. She is a brand new faculty member though so my hopes are that they'll provide her with what she needs (including a grad student!). The funding situation has always freaked me out a little bit because I'd hate to not be able to attend a program that wanted to admit me due to funding! 

PhD programs SHOULD provide funding, but you have to double check with each program just to make sure. When I was doing searches, it seemed like they provided funding for tuition, but the differences were really in (1) how much of a stipend a student could expect per year and (2) how long funding would be provided (4 or 5 years is what I generally saw in my programs).

Here is an old thread from last year that could show you what different programs provided for students in the last application cycle:

Wow! That thread is pretty awesome. That link is really informative. Gives an idea what to possibly expect. My prospective school is not on there but it's still helpful!

Anybody else temporarily wish they were going into clinical so they would have probably heard some results by now?

Hahaha. Have you met social psychologists?  I work in an interdisciplinary department, and I'm so not surprised that it's taking longer to hear from the Social folks.  :P

One of my applications isn't even due until Thursday.... the waiting is here to stay for a while... ughhhhh!

Thats a really late one. Out of 11 schools for me, 8 were 12/1, 2 were 12/15, and one was 1/1. Although, for all that it seems like they look at apps in December, most might as well have a submit date of January 1st.