Rhet/Comp & Tech Comm 2015

Hey y'all,

I'm a hopeful rhet-comp student applying to MA/PhD programs for next fall. If you're already at one of the programs I'm looking at, I'd love to hear any feedback you have about your experience! 

UC Berkeley, UT Austin, TCU, Iowa State, Michigan State, Clemson, Florida State, Purdue, Nebraska, UC Davis 

And a question: is it okay to email current student in these programs to ask about their experience? I feel a little odd cold-contacting strangers, but the websites only offer so much information. 

Thanks!

Not only is it ok, most programs have people who are dedicated to reply to interested students (I spoke to people at about 1/2 your list when I was making my own last year). PM me and I can give you my thoughts, though you need to put a bit of a rush as the first deadlines are in two weeks (and with the holiday coming up, getting everything together can be a challenge).

Hey y'all,

I'm a hopeful rhet-comp student applying to MA/PhD programs for next fall. If you're already at one of the programs I'm looking at, I'd love to hear any feedback you have about your experience! 

UC Berkeley, UT Austin, TCU, Iowa State, Michigan State, Clemson, Florida State, Purdue, Nebraska, UC Davis 

And a question: is it okay to email current student in these programs to ask about their experience? I feel a little odd cold-contacting strangers, but the websites only offer so much information. 

Thanks!

Not at a school on your list, but was considering a few. Happy to answer any questions you have about the experience! Killer list, by the way. Do you mind if I ask you research interests?

• 2 weeks later...

Not at a school on your list, but was considering a few. Happy to answer any questions you have about the experience! Killer list, by the way. Do you mind if I ask you research interests?

Thanks! I'm finding more and more as I finish up the first round of applications (this process is just a little miserable, I'm learning).

I've had the chance to take a couple graduate courses in rhetoric at my current institution and I've been finding the digital humanities stuff really fascinating, so I'd love to do work at the intersection of rhetoric and economics, particularly in digital environments. But we'll see. Do you think it's limiting to have such specific interests when applying? I've been discussing this in most of my SOPs, but I don't want to box myself in too narrowly before I've really had much experience with graduate-level research. 

Thanks! I'm finding more and more as I finish up the first round of applications (this process is just a little miserable, I'm learning).

I've had the chance to take a couple graduate courses in rhetoric at my current institution and I've been finding the digital humanities stuff really fascinating, so I'd love to do work at the intersection of rhetoric and economics, particularly in digital environments. But we'll see. Do you think it's limiting to have such specific interests when applying? I've been discussing this in most of my SOPs, but I don't want to box myself in too narrowly before I've really had much experience with graduate-level research. 

It'd be one thing if you only wanted to examine a singular text from a particular perspective but in this case I wouldn't worry.

Its alright to have a specific "box" but it's also alright to have a general "box". The advice I've heard as an MA student is: interests will change/shape/flex/etc. 

One thing I may think about in regards to your interests - can you voice why you're interested in it and what you'd do with it? 

Rhetoric & Economics in Digital locations leaves flexibility - (e.g. you could take a more classical approach - invention/delivery/etc. You could take a sub-topic focus by adding in something like environment/feminism/welfare/etc. You could approach it from a cultural level - how culture privileges "logos" in economic rhet and various other privileging in digital humanities). 

Do you think it's limiting to have such specific interests when applying? I've been discussing this in most of my SOPs, but I don't want to box myself in too narrowly before I've really had much experience with graduate-level research. 

When I first read this, I thought: That is SO awesome. That distracted me a bit because I then had to look into what that is and who is doing it. :-)

I agree with BowTiesAreCool and will add that you might also consider who you will be working with at these institutions, which will inevitably then become an investigation of your "fit" into a program. Rhetoric of economics is not common, so I could see it a particular strength of your SOP to name why these institutions are the ideal places to study this.

I wrote a lot of "work with Professor X, whose research/courses on Y fit with my interest in Z" type lines, usually three or four for each program, with Z changing each time. I can tell you, having just picked both my focus and committee in the last week (I'm finishing up semester one), that I'm doing something that wasn't on my letter for this school, with a Chair I hadn't mentioned before.

Hell, my first two months here I told people that my thesis was on the rhetoric of fantasy football, just to have an answer for the question that you get all the damn time.

Hey y'all,

Thanks!

I'm happy to chat with you about MSU--I'm a first-year PhD student here. You're more than welcome to send me a PM here on Grad Cafe.

I can also connect you with one of the student recruitment reps in our program, if that interests you.

• 1 month later...

I'm happy to chat with you about MSU--I'm a first-year PhD student here. You're more than welcome to send me a PM here on Grad Cafe.

I can also connect you with one of the student recruitment reps in our program, if that interests you.

Hey Heja,

Haha this is a little bit of a late response, but I'd love to hear more about your experience at MSU:) I was just accepted to their MA program, and it seems pretty rad (except cold. I'm not sure about the whole crossing-the-mason-dixon-line-thing.) 

Don't worry about it quite yet. Some of your programs (Az/ASU/GSU) are supposedly very slow notifiers.

Are you a PhD or MA applicant? (I'm assuming PhD because of the number of programs)

Good luck to you! I'm applying in that field as well. What's your research focus, obrial? Or anyone? I'd love to hear about people's research!

Hello! I'm Rhet/Comp as well, and I applied to a mix of MA and PhD programs.

In my SOP, I wrote something about wanting to study how the basic writer acquires rhetorical skills. Also some stuff about creative methodology. 

I have no clue whether this is a legitimate research topic or not. I tried saying it to some comp/rhet professors at a university. They gave that customary deep understanding nod of professors everywhere, which either means it's a perfectly acceptable thing to study, or I'm a complete idiot.

Imposter syndrome already! I'd love to know what you all are researching!

Good luck to you! I'm applying in that field as well. What's your research focus, obrial? Or anyone? I'd love to hear about people's research!

Hi mmmscience. Where else have you applied besides Madison?  As far as my research, I am concerned about the ways in which real-world issues are manifested in rhetorical and critical theory. I plan to focus on the space where rhetoric, religious studies, and queer theory converge. How about you? I, too, would love to hear about people's research. :)

They gave that customary deep understanding nod of professors everywhere, which either means it's a perfectly acceptable thing to study, or I'm a complete idiot.

LOVE this -- so, so true. :) Do you already have your MA, empress-marmot? Or are you looking to complete your MA and PhD at the same school? Where are you applying? 

Hey, obrial42! I'm a freshfaced BA. I would like to complete my MA and PhD at the same school. 

Programs: Nebraska, Oregon, Minnesota, South Florida, Florida, Purdue, and Arizona.

Kansas State and Southern Illinois accepted me. The good folks at Wisconsin rejected me. 

Could you give me an example of a real-world issue manifested in rhetorical/critical theory? That sounds fascinating!

Hi mmmscience. Where else have you applied besides Madison?  As far as my research, I am concerned about the ways in which real-world issues are manifested in rhetorical and critical theory. I plan to focus on the space where rhetoric, religious studies, and queer theory converge. How about you? I, too, would love to hear about people's research. :)

Sorry for jumping in, but I just have to say that I LOVE the sound of this research topic!

Hello! I'm Rhet/Comp as well, and I applied to a mix of MA and PhD programs.

In my SOP, I wrote something about wanting to study how the basic writer acquires rhetorical skills. Also some stuff about creative methodology. 

I have no clue whether this is a legitimate research topic or not. I tried saying it to some comp/rhet professors at a university. They gave that customary deep understanding nod of professors everywhere, which either means it's a perfectly acceptable thing to study, or I'm a complete idiot.

Imposter syndrome already! I'd love to know what you all are researching!

Agggg imposter syndrome. It's the worst!

I'm super interested in the acquisition of rhetorical skills. My work in pedagogy research (such as it has been as a master's student!) has centered on that, specifically how the heck new academic writers are supposed to know how to write in varied discourse communities they suddenly find themselves in. I'm currently all about genre methodologies; those are the panels I'm going to stalk at CCCCs. So I definitely think it's a neat thing to study!

Oh man, that sounds SUPER neat! Have you read Remembering Matthew Shepard by Dunn? It was in Speech Quarterly if I'm remembering right. It was a hella good article about rhetoric and memory and queer theory. It might be something you like!

I've applied at Penn State, Iowa State, Kansas, and UW-Milwaukee. I'm working in rhetoric of science, specifically looking at science communication and rhetoric of the break down between what scientists say/do and what the general public hears/understands -- which I've decided I'll refer to as the rhetoric of science literacy, though I'm not sure if that's a legitimate thing to call it at all.

I'm currently all about genre methodologies; those are the panels I'm going to stalk at CCCCs. 

I was so irritated with myself when I realized Cs was in Tampa this year. I just moved to Tampa--I could have submitted something! 

Is anyone else going?