Rhet/Comp & Tech Comm 2015

sigh...I'll be there. 

I was so irritated with myself when I realized Cs was in Tampa this year. I just moved to Tampa--I could have submitted something! 

Is anyone else going? 

Could you give me an example of a real-world issue manifested in rhetorical/critical theory? That sounds fascinating!

Empress, I'm particularly interested in the space where Christian and queer communities converge -- and the rhetoric that both communities employ with regard to each other. 

Ah, but I don't want to detail the conversation, I'm a comp lit'ist so clearly had no reason for stalking the rhet/comp forum ;-)

Katla, comp lit is high up on my list of exciting topics. Po-co theory is my favorite -- I read Said for fun. Have you read his daughter's memoir by chance? I read it a few months ago and really enjoyed it.

Oh man, that sounds SUPER neat! Have you read Remembering Matthew Shepard by Dunn? It was in Speech Quarterly if I'm remembering right. It was a hella good article about rhetoric and memory and queer theory. It might be something you like!

I've applied at Penn State, Iowa State, Kansas, and UW-Milwaukee. I'm working in rhetoric of science, specifically looking at science communication and rhetoric of the break down between what scientists say/do and what the general public hears/understands -- which I've decided I'll refer to as the rhetoric of science literacy, though I'm not sure if that's a legitimate thing to call it at all.

I have not read Remembering Matthew Shepard. I will have to look it up. Thanks for the suggestion! I like your research topic -- it is so relevant in a time where we hear differing viewpoints and try to make sense of them. Good luck with your schools!

Sorry for jumping in, but I just have to say that I LOVE the sound of this research topic!

Thank you!! I find it pretty exciting too. :)

Katla, comp lit is high up on my list of exciting topics. Po-co theory is my favorite -- I read Said for fun. Have you read his daughter's memoir by chance? I read it a few months ago and really enjoyed it.

I haven't read his daughter's memoir but I'll definitely check it out, thanks for the suggestion! Postcol thery is definitely brilliant though my heart of hearts belongs to queer theory! I hope I get to work with both in my further research!

I'll be there! This year's CCCC will be my first CCCC and my first conference with my daughter. I'm actually thrilled, mostly because of the promise of warm weather. 

You can find me somewhere between ybor city and the beach my entire time there. I *might* just make it to my presentation...

Who am I kidding, I'll be slogging through the professional posturing just like everyone else. 

But the fact that Tampa will be warm and sunny is a promising thought, and I'm excited for you! 

Thanks, heja! I expect to slum it on the beach for at least several hours a day as well. Can't wait!

BTW, my name is Ruth, so if you see me at CCCC, please say hi! I love meeting GradCafers offline. (Word of warning, though: I don't actually look like the Lorax.)

Pro/Heja, I'm determined to get a group together for drag queen bingo at some point. Otherwise, I'm determined to get as much face time with PhD program DGSs as I can. I've built my entire presentation schedule around that.

Thanks, heja! I expect to slum it on the beach for at least several hours a day as well. Can't wait!

BTW, my name is Ruth, so if you see me at CCCC, please say hi! I love meeting GradCafers offline. (Word of warning, though: I don't actually look like the Lorax.)

Splendid! I'm fairly positive that I saw your presentation at cwcon last year in Pullman. Small world.

I'll absolutely say hello!

Pro/Heja, I'm determined to get a group together for drag queen bingo at some point. Otherwise, I'm determined to get as much face time with PhD program DGSs as I can. I've built my entire presentation schedule around that.

My only recommendation is that you start building your schedule around drag queen bingo. Plz keep me updated on this.

Longtime lurker posting here. Was recently accepted into PhD (RSTC) program at Minnesota; accepted into PhD English (Rhet/Comp) program at Purdue today. Waiting to hear back from six more programs. Will I be seeing anyone from here at the Minnesota visit day at the end of the month?

Welcome and Congrats! 

Thanks! Love your username, btw. Big Whovian here -- can be seen around my current campus toting a TARDIS backpack and muttering to myself about the time David Tennant winked at the girl sitting next to me when I went to see him and Catherine Tate in Much Ado About Nothing in the West End in 2011. What a cad. 

Big Whovian here -- can be seen around my current campus toting a TARDIS backpack and muttering to myself about the time David Tennant winked at the girl sitting next to me when I went to see him and Catherine Tate in Much Ado About Nothing in the West End in 2011. What a cad. 

David Tennant meant to wink at you, ceaselessly. It was just at that moment, he got a crick in his neck which prevented him from turning his beauteous gaze upon you. But he definitely meant to. 

I came across a website devoted to RhetComp Ryan Gosling the other day (worth a read). Can we do RhetComp David Tennant?

Longtime lurker posting here. Was recently accepted into PhD (RSTC) program at Minnesota; accepted into PhD English (Rhet/Comp) program at Purdue today. Waiting to hear back from six more programs. Will I be seeing anyone from here at the Minnesota visit day at the end of the month?

congrats!!!

sending all the celebratory pizza in your direction. 

Congrats on Minnesota (and Purdue, too)! I did my undergrad in St. Paul (Hamline University) and LOVE the area. If you get a chance while you are there, eat some Pizza Luce for me :)

And I'll be at C's too- it will be nice to get away from the midwest snow and cold!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All!

I'm one of those long-time lurkers who enjoys reading all of your posts but has yet to add anything interesting to the conversation. Writing that makes it seem incredibly creepy....awesome.

At any rate - it's nice to see so many active Rhet/Comp folks! I'm a 2015 PhD hopeful.  So far the season has been pretty good to me.  I have two offers on the table and one program still to hear from.  

I thought I'd jump in and ask to hear from the folks accepted to Louisville this year.  I'm currently on the waitlist, and it's my top choice (of course).  I'd love to hear that a few people plan to turn down their offers! :)