Can you email schools and ask what your chances of getting in are?/If you should even apply?

I think it's ok to email programs to ask about the statistics of the previously accepted students if the information is not available on their website. ASHA edfind is also another resource where you can look at different programs statistics. Some are outdated but for the most part I found it to be very helpful in deciding where I would apply.

I've emailed some schools about this question before they most seem fine with it.  Some schools are straight forward with their answers.  Other schools will avoid answering the question and tell you that they're glad that you're interested in the program.  I tell them my stats and experience and would ask stuff like "have you accepted students similar to me before"?  Or you could ask "What can I do to make myself more competitive"?

Edited by rainsonata

I've emailed some schools about this question before they most seem fine with it.  Some schools are straight forward with their answers.  Other schools will avoid answering the question and tell you that they're glad that you're interested in the program.  I tell them my stats and experience and would ask stuff like "have you accepted students similar to me before"?  Or you could ask "What can I do to make myself more competitive"?

I completely agree with rainsonata.  I emailed over 200 programs showing them my stats and experience and asked if previous years applicants have gotten in with similar stats and experience.  Like rainsonata said, most were straight forward and helpful and some just vague.  Be aware of the schools who are not straight forward because those are the schools who probably would just like your app $$.  

I completely agree with rainsonata.  I emailed over 200 programs showing them my stats and experience and asked if previous years applicants have gotten in with similar stats and experience.  Like rainsonata said, most were straight forward and helpful and some just vague.  Be aware of the schools who are not straight forward because those are the schools who probably would just like your app $$.  

can you post a sample letter u sent? for reference for me?

thanks 

I think it's ok to email programs to ask about the statistics of the previously accepted students if the information is not available on their website. ASHA edfind is also another resource where you can look at different programs statistics. Some are outdated but for the most part I found it to be very helpful in deciding where I would apply.

cuny brooklyn!

what r your stats?

Thanks for the tip of emailing schools when I asked you a couple of months ago!  I must have emailed at least 50+ schools and now I have a list of 8 schools.  I had a couple of schools be vague about my scores (Kean, Towson; still waiting for Radford and Loyola to reply), so I'm unsure of what to do.  I really like their program through and the courses they teach.  The scores shown as ASHA is within my range, so I'm hoping I'll have a good chance.  Should I apply anyway because of my confidence?  What are your thoughts? 

Edited by rainsonata