Pens/Pencils which brands do you prefer?

buddyman

9 hours ago, SuzyH said:

I purchased a pack of Pentel EnerGel Liquid Gel Pens because the package stated the ink was suitable for lefties (which I am). Love. For once I didn't look like half my hand was bruised as the ink dries super fast. Smooth writing and bright colors for color blocked notes.

Yay, another lefty here! I adore my Energels. I bought the metal pen bodies and boxes of refills and they're the only pens I've been using since the beginning of the school year.

1 hour ago, bibliophile222 said:

Yay, another lefty here! I adore my Energels. I bought the metal pen bodies and boxes of refills and they're the only pens I've been using since the beginning of the school year.

Same! I get the refills directly from Japan and save a ton.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, if you can get one of those .5 mm gel tip pens, those are like S tier pens. If you like fountain pens, I would suggest a Lamy. They're from a German company, so sometimes you need to import them, but you can get nice ones for <$30. I also put them under S tier. If you can get 0.7 mm gel pens, I would put them under A tier. I also have this nice .5 mm mechanical pencil called a Zebra M-301. I have no idea where I got it or when, but goddamn, I like it. Also A tier. I put all felt tips under B tier. I like them, but they tend to bleed through paper unless you're willing to dump money into heavy paper. Also under B tier is .7 mm and .5 mm mechanical pencils. Nothing too special about them. I only put the Zebra up higher because it looks cool, feels kinda weighty, and writes well. In C tier, I would put generic job recruiter pens. These are those tacky pens with the company's name on it that you get at career fair and they tend to write ok. I would prefer a mechanical pencil, but these suffice. If you can get one that doubles as a stylus, I would put it at B- or maybe B tier. I feel kinda bad about this, but non mechanical pencils, I feel, almost always belong in D tier. I don't have a pencil sharpener, coincidentally. And F tier is any BIC pen. God they're awful.

I've tried basically everything over the years. Best duo I've consistently enjoyed using for the past few years: uni-ball signo .5 (micro 207) in blue + uni-ball mechanical pencil uni kuru toga .5

for colored ones, I use staedtler triplus fineliners. for highlighters, i have the staedtler classic textsurfer ones plus the slimmer textsurfer ones. 

Not sure if I am a minority in my use of old fashion, wooden pencils but Tinconderoga is the ABSOLUTE BEST pencil there is!! The graphite is so smooth and you literally glide as you write across the paper. The eraser is also amazing, which is great since most wooden pencil erasers are absolute trash and just end up smearing the graphite into the paper... I do prefer to use the white, blocky Staedtler erasers in lieu of the pencil eraser which I just use for emergencies lol