SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2015-2016

crimsoc

One possibility is that certain people get awarded the SSHRC but have to do a preperatory MA before starting their doctoral studies. This happened to two people coming out of my MA program a few years back who both accepted offers to UK schools.

This. Also some have to do a "qualifying year" before fully enrolling in doctoral program. These people cannot hold a SSHRC. I imagine that happens a lot for people who change disciplines from their masters to doctoral work (i.e., organic chemistry --> sociology).

Edited by bentharbour

Sorry to hear, clinicalapplicant. Everyone will tell you that its okay (it's not) and there is always next year (there is), but being turned down for something you want so bad always stings. Use the energy for something productive.

Edited by bentharbour

Got my letter with an award in the C category! This means—from what I understand—that if I want to take my award to a UK school (which is what I indicated in my application) then I get the award for the B category. But if I stayed in Canada, then I would be eligible for a CGS award. My score was 14.4/20 and it was my first time applying. I think I might be in shock right now.

Sorry to hear, clinicalapplicant. Everyone will tell you that its okay (it's not) and there is always next year (there is), but being turned down for something you want to bad always stings. Use the energy for something productive.

Exactly. I'll be applying for CIHR next year (my new supervisors request) so I'll be putting everything I have into that application. Thanks for your kind words :)

Congrats to all the successful recipients!! Is there any change in your online portal status? Also, has anyone west of Sask been notified yet?

Nothing in Victoria - although this is unsurprising. Where out west are you, crimsoc?

I'm in southern Ontario and still haven't heard anything. This is torture :(

Might as well pour one up and forget about it until tomorrow... 

giphy.gif

So I just got my letter today in Montreal - accepted in category B, score 14/20. I'm a little confused about how the scores are calculated and what the A&B categories mean; it was actually my roommate who opened my letter for me and sent me a photo of the 1st letter page, but I won't be able to read the appendices until I go back home in two weeks time (which is cutting it close to the acceptance deadline!). Does SSHRC post information about what the A/B cutoff is each year, or the distribution of scores? 

Thanks guys!

So I just got my letter today in Montreal - accepted in category B, score 14/20. I'm a little confused about how the scores are calculated and what the A&B categories mean; it was actually my roommate who opened my letter for me and sent me a photo of the 1st letter page, but I won't be able to read the appendices until I go back home in two weeks time (which is cutting it close to the acceptance deadline!). Does SSHRC post information about what the A/B cutoff is each year, or the distribution of scores? 

Thanks guys!

Hi flembot. Congrats on getting the grant. Here's the difference between the two categories:

Category A: Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Doctoral Scholarships are valued at $35,000 per year for 36 months.

Category B: SSHRC Doctoral Fellowships are valued at $20,000 per year for 12, 24, 36 or 48 months.

You'll have to ask your roommate to forward a copy of the Appendice sent with your letter to determine the number of months your grant's valid for.

Hope this helps.

PS. Thanks to all of you who offered your congrats earlier on today and congratulations to all who have been successful. If you've been unsuccessful this year, keep trying. It will pay off eventually. All the best!

Hi all! So I received my letter today, was trying to figure out what the score meant, and ended up on this site. My score was 12.5/20 and I was offered an award in category B, a Doctoral Fellowship.

My question is this-- several people said that they were bumped up later in the summer/year to a CGS-D. Were you informed in your original letter that you were on some kind of waitlist, or was it entirely unexpected- did you just recieve another letter out of the blue saying you now had a CGS?

I'm just curious what the likelihood of getting bumped up is, or if I have no chance whatsoever because no such thing was mentioned in my letter. Thanks!

I am a long-time lurker. I created my account after receiving my letter today. I was rejected with a score of 10.5.

This was my second time applying. The first time, I was not even forwarded out of my university. It seems like 11 was the cut-off for the wailist, and 12 or 12.5 was the cut-off for funding, based on this board (because SSHRC doesn't release that info). I wish SSHRC was more transparent about the adjudication process so I would know what to work on for next time.

As a previous commenter said, SSHRC doesn't reflect on your worth as a scholar. My work has consistently been well-received by colleagues and mentors, and I was the top-ranked applicant to my program. I am trying to remember those things today. I just wish it didn't feel like SSHRC can make or break an academic career.

Sorry to hear, Inquietude. If nothing else, it sounds like you were close - maybe third time's the charm.

I agree, the lack of transparency with SSHRC is really frustrating. Nobody seems to know what their scores even mean, much less how they were determined, and the whole process just seems to be purposely difficult to understand. It's tough when we all work so hard on these applications and then don't get any constructive feedback.

I am a long-time lurker. I created my account after receiving my letter today. I was rejected with a score of 10.5.

This was my second time applying. The first time, I was not even forwarded out of my university. It seems like 11 was the cut-off for the wailist, and 12 or 12.5 was the cut-off for funding, based on this board (because SSHRC doesn't release that info). I wish SSHRC was more transparent about the adjudication process so I would know what to work on for next time.

As a previous commenter said, SSHRC doesn't reflect on your worth as a scholar. My work has consistently been well-received by colleagues and mentors, and I was the top-ranked applicant to my program. I am trying to remember those things today. I just wish it didn't feel like SSHRC can make or break an academic career.

You know what though, you're a great person for even sharing that, many wouldn't..they just lurk, and only report once they're successful. You provided all of this information for everyone, and that makes you great in my books!! If your work is any reflection of your personality and ethic, which I bet it is, than you have an amazing future as a scholar, teacher, and mentor..just wanted to let you know that. 

D

Hi all! So I received my letter today, was trying to figure out what the score meant, and ended up on this site. My score was 12.5/20 and I was offered an award in category B, a Doctoral Fellowship.

My question is this-- several people said that they were bumped up later in the summer/year to a CGS-D. Were you informed in your original letter that you were on some kind of waitlist, or was it entirely unexpected- did you just recieve another letter out of the blue saying you now had a CGS?

I'm just curious what the likelihood of getting bumped up is, or if I have no chance whatsoever because no such thing was mentioned in my letter. Thanks!

I received an email from SSHRC asking if I wanted to accept the CGS in place of the fellowship. The email said that if I accepted (simply by replying to the email), SSHRC would send a new notice of award stating that I was awarded a CGS. I ended up declining the CGS, so obviously I never received a new notice of award. This happened in July I think, although it could have been June.

Edited by bentharbour

I received an email from SSHRC asking if I wanted to accept the CGS in place of the fellowship. The email said that if I accepted (simply by replying to the email), SSHRC would send a new notice of award stating that I was awarded a CGS. I ended up declining the CGS, so obviously I never received a new notice of award. This happened in July I think, although it could have been June.

Great, thanks for your response! I won't get my hopes up or wait for an email, but it's nice to know that this is at least a possibility.

Sorry to hear, Inquietude. If nothing else, it sounds like you were close - maybe third time's the charm.

I agree, the lack of transparency with SSHRC is really frustrating. Nobody seems to know what their scores even mean, much less how they were determined, and the whole process just seems to be purposely difficult to understand. It's tough when we all work so hard on these applications and then don't get any constructive feedback.

Hi Inquietude, I'm also sorry to hear that your application was unsuccessful. Rejection always stings, but I hope you try again. 

One thing I wanted to add about the topic of transparency, is that SSHRC is an institution funded by the public, and as far as I know they are legally required to release (non-confidental) relevant information/documentation upon any Canadian citizen's request (which may be why they are so careful to not take notes at adjudication meetings). If you want more information such as relevant statistics, cut-off #s for funding, etc, etc, I think the best thing is to just ask them for it. If that doesn't work, you also have a right to submit a formal freedom of information request (or if you don't feel comfortable doing that yourself, ask your grad student society, as they tend to like doing that sort of thing ;).

I also think that asking other folks you know who were successful if you can read their proposal is a really helpful strategy. 

Edited by solala

Hello all,

Finishing up my PhD coursework at the University of Montreal

I got waitlisted with a score of 11.8/20.

Short profile:

• Perfect GPA
  • 4 publications in the last 1-2 years (3 book chapters, 1 peer reviewed)
  • Won private funding competitions during my master
  • Lots of research assistant experience
  • Lots of TA experience
  • Some professional experience (Federal government)

Good luck to everyone else :)

Hi all,

First off, I apologise for being one of those who has made account once they have some good news, but I wanted to share with anyone waiting in the UK that I received my letter from SSHRC today. Hopefully anyone waiting will get someting today or tomorrow. Third time was a charm for me.

Does anyone know if its possible to adjust the duration of award without losing a year of it? I've been given four years, but is there precedent for requesting to be paid the award amount over two-three years instead? Im currently finishing up my first year, and have no  deisre to remain a PhD student until 2018-2019, so I was hoping they might be willing adjust it so I dont leave money on the table... I only requested 24months funding on application.

Best of luck to everyone.

Edited by verax