SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2015-2016

crimsoc

Really? It seemed as though the scores were consistent across the humanities and that anyone who had about an 11 got waitlisted and a 10 got cut off. So I was just wondering what the highest B score/lowest A score would have been 

I am sure they are pretty close across disciplines, but from the results of previous years it is clear that there is not a uniform cut off score. I know someone last year (in a different committee) who was awarded a CGS right away with a lower score than mine.

Finally got my letter here on the East Coast. Successful in Category B! :)

Congrats to all who were successful and best of luck to those re-applying. Don't lost hope! This was also my second time applying. I was wait-listed last year. I still don't have any publications, and my reference letter writers were the same as last year. The only thing that changed in my application from last year to this year was a substantially-revised statement (like, really really substantially revised). 

And, of course, thanks to everyone on this thread for being a constant source of help and encouragement these last couple of years!

Hmm this is odd. I'm located in Maryland and I still haven't gotten my letter yet... Are there any direct applicants from the US still waiting for the letter?

Really? It seemed as though the scores were consistent across the humanities and that anyone who had about an 11 got waitlisted and a 10 got cut off. So I was just wondering what the highest B score/lowest A score would have been 

11.7 for me, no wait-list. Same field as you.

I would guess that the variable cut-offs have something to do with university quotas. If other applicants at your university have higher scores in a given year, maybe you need a higher score to secure a scholarship/fellowship/wait-list?

I would guess that the variable cut-offs have something to do with university quotas. If other applicants at your university have higher scores in a given year, maybe you need a higher score to secure a scholarship/fellowship/wait-list?

I received an award. My score was a 12.6. I was just asking from what I was seeing here.

Congrats to you!!

Where will you be in the fall?

Congrats to all the winners!

I didn't receive an award this year. Will try again in autumn.

My score was 11.2 out of 20. I don't think I was waitlisted. A friend opened my mail and emailed me the result and didn't mention a waitlist. I think he would have if the letter stated I was on a waitlist. I'll repost if it turns out I was waitlisted.

I think I'm in category 4 (social science, linguistics etc.) I saw someone earlier on the thread that was waitlisted with a 11.5 in this field so perhaps I just missed the cut-off?

My stats are:

4.0/4.0 GPA

MA & 1st year PhD internal awards

OGS

1 peer-reviewed publication (in process at time of application)

1 co-authored book chapter (in process at time of application)

Several non-peer reviewed publications from my former life

Several conferences (2 international)

Strong letters of reference 

Work experience in field 

I'm not sure what I could have done to make my application stronger. I'll work on my statement again this summer and make sure my references didn't lie when they said they wrote "strong" letters of recommendation ;)

I know this has been said before but pedagogically it would be useful if SSHRC gave some feedback on these applications. Even one working point per application. Reading through this thread it's evident that people put a lot of time and effort into their applications only to be met with a number that can't even be cross-referenced with SSHRC's evaluation criteria. 

Anyway, enjoy summer everyone. See some of you here in the fall!

Congrats to all the recipients so far!

If you haven't received it, I know it can be discouraging but next year will be your year! Many people have to re-apply.

Does anyone know when the results are publicly announced?

Quick question to those that are receiving SSHRC at Canadian universities: does your institution claw-back any amount to help defray your tuition costs or anything like that if you're already receiving a fellowship to pay for your studies through your school?

I believe recipients enrolled in foreign universities just get the full amount, minus any taxes, but am I correct in hearing that in Canada, you may have additional amounts deducted by the institution where you're enrolled?

Thanks

Quick question to those that are receiving SSHRC at Canadian universities: does your institution claw-back any amount to help defray your tuition costs or anything like that if you're already receiving a fellowship to pay for your studies through your school?

I believe recipients enrolled in foreign universities just get the full amount, minus any taxes, but am I correct in hearing that in Canada, you may have additional amounts deducted by the institution where you're enrolled?

Thanks

No claw-back here. 

Hey everyone, I need to fill out some department paperwork about funding and I just wondered if someone could shed some light on how SSHRC funding is disbursed for those of us in American universities.

Do we get a lump sum amount at the start of every year? Or every term? Or does it come in monthly/biweekly instalments?

Also, for those of us in the US, does the funding come in US dollars in a US bank account? Or, do they disburse it in Canadian dollars to a Canadian account?

And, if it comes in US dollars, is there a set conversion rate they use, or is it whatever the market rate is at the time? I realize that the Canadian dollar is performing poorly these days, so I'm wondering what the $20k doctoral award will be reduced to by the time it is converted into US dollars.

Thanks everyone!

Hey everyone, I need to fill out some department paperwork about funding and I just wondered if someone could shed some light on how SSHRC funding is disbursed for those of us in American universities.

Do we get a lump sum amount at the start of every year? Or every term? Or does it come in monthly/biweekly instalments?

Also, for those of us in the US, does the funding come in US dollars in a US bank account? Or, do they disburse it in Canadian dollars to a Canadian account?

And, if it comes in US dollars, is there a set conversion rate they use, or is it whatever the market rate is at the time? I realize that the Canadian dollar is performing poorly these days, so I'm wondering what the $20k doctoral award will be reduced to by the time it is converted into US dollars.

Thanks everyone!

In the US, you will get it in US funds at whatever the rate is at the time they process your request for installment forms. So it will be less than $10,000, but you get the benefit of a group exchange rate (they process all of the American payments at the same time). You can set up direct deposit to get it deposited right into your account rather than a cheque. I believe going forward this is a requirement, but I could be wrong.

In the US, you will get it in US funds at whatever the rate is at the time they process your request for installment forms. So it will be less than $10,000, but you get the benefit of a group exchange rate (they process all of the American payments at the same time). You can set up direct deposit to get it deposited right into your account rather than a cheque. I believe going forward this is a requirement, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the info! So, I assume this means you get it in two installments each year?

Thanks

In Canada, each university is different. Some will actually reduce your internal funding package to the amount of the external scholarship you have won (and yes, that really sucks). The University of Toronto, for example, reduces its internal funding packages quite drastically if students there win SSHRCs. Other universities allow their students to keep their internal funding on top of SSHRC (Queens and Carleton do that I believe). It all depends on the school! You should email your faculty of grad studies (or grad chair in your department) to confirm.

In Canada, each university is different. Some will actually reduce your internal funding package to the amount of the external scholarship you have won (and yes, that really sucks). The University of Toronto, for example, reduces its internal funding packages quite drastically if students there win SSHRCs. Other universities allow their students to keep their internal funding on top of SSHRC (Queens and Carleton do that I believe). It all depends on the school! You should email your faculty of grad studies (or grad chair in your department) to confirm.

Word. McMaster lowers their department scholarship by between 5k and 10k if you get external OGS or SSHRC funding

So I received OGS - which is good news - better than nothing :). Just wondering if anyone knows what happens if I miraculously get bumped off the waitlist for SSHRC (as I have accepted OGS)?

^I'm holding a super SSHRC at U of T right now that I was awarded last year and can confirm the above. My internal funding has vanished, except for a wee $2500 "top-up" that I'm getting (from my department?) in May.

I mean, no complaints, this is a happy problem, though that's some wonky incentivizing. I got accepted to some programs at York and one of their selling points in recruitment was that they didn't conduct claw-back.

Just wanted to say a few other things quickly, but didn't want to contribute to the earlier deluge:

-That was my first time getting a SSHRC. It was my third application, if you count my MA SSHRC app. Please don't be discouraged, this stuff can really be a crap shoot.

-Don't get hung up on the scores. They seem to vacillate wildly from year to year and you'll just drive yourselves nuts.

-Despite the "crap shoot" thing being said, I cannot overstate how helpful it was to workshop my program of study with the writing center at my institution, it really made all the difference. There is a formula to that thing; it's stifling, but worth conforming to, let someone in the know help you out with it. If any of you are at U of T, I highly recommend seeking out Dr. Jane Freeman's SSHRC/OGS app writing workshop offered through the English Language Writing Center. She offers a few sessions in September/October.

People can PM me if they'd like! Congrats to all for surviving this round.

Edited by surefire

Will correct this post slightly, as I had an MA SSHRC this year at Queen's! Without any external funding my department guarantees 18 000$/year to MA students through a variety of internal fellowships/TAships etc. Getting a SSHRC bumps you up to 24 000$, or OGS gets you 21 000$. In any case, it's much better than a lot of universities, though there is definitely a significant 'claw back'.

Thanks everyone!

There is a direct deposit form specifically for US accounts. It's on the direct deposit page below the Canadian one. I am filling out the same forms right now :P What state are you in?

Also if they exchanged it today it looks about $8310 USD, which kind of sucks but its better than no money. 

Just a question about this part-time/full-time work situation.

I know we are not allowed to have full time work and can only have part time employment. I am a GTPI (graduate part time instructor, i.e. glorified TA, teach composition to 19 students), which technically is part of a university funding package at a foreign institution that I am attending. 

The SSHRC website states the following: "You may not concurrently hold an award from SSHRC and another federal granting agency (CIHR or NSERC). You may, however, accept awards from other sources, regardless of value, e.g., foreign sources, Canadian provinces, private organizations, your university."

I thought I was in the clear but then I saw this: "SSHRC expects award holders to devote the majority of their time to the timely completion their degree program. SSHRC limits the number of hours of employment per 12-month period to 450."

Because our semesters are longer in America ('Murrica!) I teach (GTPI position) 2 classes at 20 hours a week for 15 weeks a semester, which puts me over the 450 limit. BUT it is part of my funding package, which is kind of like an award... AND later SSHRC says that RA-ships are totes cool but says nothing about TA-ships. 

Anyone have any insight on this? What is the deal with TA-ships? Do they count toward this magical 450 limit? Can I get the school to say it is just a part of foreign funding? 

Edited by Kermit