GRE preparation advice anyone?

medanthroMPH

I am applying to a PhD program in the Fall. I have taken the GRE in the past and have gotten the same scores all three times! I have studied, although, this time around, I have completely focused and willing to do whatever it takes to get a great score on this test. Are there any books, classes, tutors, etc. that have helped anyone. I scored a 940 (570-qualitative, 370-quantitative, 5 on writing) a few years back and was able to get into grad school. I didn't get funding the first year, but I did get funding for the second year. I would like to get funded outright for my PhD program. Please let me know what worked for you.

I used the book "Cracking the GRE." It's available on amazon. You'll also want to make yourself some flashcards for all those obnoxious words you'll want to memorize. But i've also heard there are computer programs out there that help you memorize those words.

learn the words. all of them. Princeton Review's book (I think) "Words for the GRE" or somethign to that extent is good It listed about 600s ome words, I memorized all of them, and it really helped. I'm good at memorizing stuff though, so that may have helped. After a while, you start to see the patterns, it's easier that way (for me) instead of the recommended learning prefixes and suffixes.

I am applying to a PhD program in the Fall. I have taken the GRE in the past and have gotten the same scores all three times! I have studied, although, this time around, I have completely focused and willing to do whatever it takes to get a great score on this test. Are there any books, classes, tutors, etc. that have helped anyone. I scored a 940 (570-qualitative, 370-quantitative, 5 on writing) a few years back and was able to get into grad school. I didn't get funding the first year, but I did get funding for the second year. I would like to get funded outright for my PhD program. Please let me know what worked for you.

Cracking the GRE seems quite good. Personally I'm studying on the Barron's.

Do lots of those math exercises available on almost every book. That 370 even if you're applying to Anthropology could hurt your app.

Doing all the ex on a good book will lift you at least at 500 quantitative.

My experience:

At the beginning I was at 380v+710q. Now after few weeks of studying and after having memorized some words I scored 430+740.

Practice, practice, practice!

I was in the exact same boat as you. I took it three times with three of the same scores. I think a live class really helps. Kaplan does a live class and I heard it's great but expensive. Kaplan has a great book so get the book if you can't take the class. Google search some classes near you. I actually took two classes. I did one through my undergrads extension program and one through Sherwood Prep. The price for both of these classes combined was still less than the single Kaplan course and with the same amount of hours. I got two different teaching styles. Live classes are a great match wih my learning style. Hearing someone tell me how to do something is better than reading it. Teaching myself from the book was hard. The classes were effective. Also keep in mind that your quant scores will probably shootup a lot. Math is easier to teach and learn once you master the basic formulas. REading is something you've done forever and developed patterns/habits in as is harder to learn and master...at least that's what they told us in my GRE prep classes.

In addition to just knowing the actual skills like formulas and words little tricks on how to actually take the test will help you. Kaplans book is great for this. Some people also recommend just taking practice tests all the time because just getting used to the test and how they ask you the questions is really important. Also, instead of memorizing definitions for each word, remember synonyms or groups of words with similar meanings. Again, Kaplan's book is great for this.

Quizlet.com is a great sight for GRE flashcard games. It really helps me memorize the words and is fun too. Google "Free downloadable GRE math Flashcards". Somewhere either Kaplan or Princeton Review has downloadable math flashcards for remember formulas.

Since the GRE is a standardized test you are actually supposed to get the same score on it unless you study really hard in between--that's how they know the standardized test is working. But also I heard that everyone has a threshold or a plateu point where with more studying you will improve--but only so much. They say there is a point where no matter ho much you study you won't get better. But who knows...prove them wrong!

Best of luck!

I took a class AND studied on my own. The class only helps if you don't have the discipline to study on your own. Don't waste the money if you can do it on your own. Just keep studying until you hit scores that you like.