Here's the reason for my rejection

JM

I am really interested in public policy and what not. To the point where in my free time, I read papers written by professors in India on agricultural sustainalbity etc. BUT I got rejected because my undegraduate was in pure sciences. Even though I did take social sciences courses and stuff.

Why didnt the prof just kick me in the ass. I apologise for being so fucking smart. Padron my french.

Alot of people get accepted in fields other than their undergrad. But people who have a degree in the same field often have internships, research papers, and graded work in those areas that let people know they have the skills and knowledge required. If you had internships or work experience in those areas then I don't know why you wouldn't have been accepted. But, coming from a different background if you didn't explicitly state that you had these experiences, how are they to know. And, unless they told you that that was the reason you got rejected that may not be the reason. Being rejected from grad school is pretty common, so it may have been any number of reasons. Also, being "smart" in natural sciences does not necessary correlate to being "smart" in social sciences (or v.v.). I know a lot of engineering majors who fail introductory psychology, as well as psychology majors who think that biology is easy (I'm a psychology major, hence my frame of reference)

PS- I wouldn't call your field "pure science" in front of social scientists... What are we unpure? j/k :P

Did they tell you that you were rejected for that reason? I guess I can kind of understand, as I couldn't apply to a biology program with a history undergrad. It's not only the fact that I don't have a good background of biology, but I haven't been taught to think in those sort of terms. I've noticed that what I have gotten more so than anything from my undergrad degree is a different way of thinking and anaylzing things. You might be on the same page of thinking as far as humanities go, but there was no proof for them. Maybe you could take a few more humanity classes non-degree seeking and apply again next year?

Have you thought about maybe applying to an envionmental policy program?

As for "pure sciences"- thats what the dude told me. I dont think computer science is pure hehe.

As for internships and stuff- I mentioned all that in my resume and my statement of interest. And during my undergrad- I took a lot of courses for electives like history, political science, film and stuff specifically because I wanted my major to be more inter-disciplinary.

And here is where I got screwed I think- the last two courses I took- one communications and one on Canadian Policy both didnt show up on my transcript and I did good on both.

Oh well- you are right there could be a number of other reasons and maybe that schools not meant for me.

Did you have much economics on your transcript? In my experience, policy programs like to see economics & statistics coursework.

Godo point. They didnt have much economics but I had enough Statistics. Thanks for the pointer. I guess I can take a few economics courses and try again next year. Although I am really considering the Environmental Policy program.

Guest Meridionalee

Godo point. They didnt have much economics but I had enough Statistics. Thanks for the pointer. I guess I can take a few economics courses and try again next year. Although I am really considering the Environmental Policy program.

Well you'll still need economics for that as well as other things. When I suggested that earlier, I didn't realize you had a CS degree. When you said "pure" science, I thought you meant biology or chemistry.

Well you'll still need economics for that as well as other things. When I suggested that earlier, I didn't realize you had a CS degree. When you said "pure" science, I thought you meant biology or chemistry.

Yeah I dont know what Pure Sciences means anymore. Back in university, my faculty was called pure and applied sciences, so I guess I would fall under applied sciences. Nonetheless, yeah I agree I am going to do ECON regardless.