Sociology prof who will answer any question about grad school applications

SocProf

SocProf,

I am applying to Ph.d programs for Fall 2016. At my top choice school, which is very selective and only accepts a couple students per year, I've had excellent conversations with a professor there who tells me that he is VERY excited to work with me and expects that I should be at the top of the applicant pool. He also said he thinks he can make a very good case to the graduate committee as to why I should be in the program. I've heard that having a professor willing to fight for you is most important. Would you say that is true?

Thanks very much!

sierra,

Yes, absolutely. But of course you never know the ins and outs of that faculty member's relationships with the other committee members. Still, it sounds like you're in good shape.

Gabe

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question I am worried about my low AW score on my GRE. I am applying to Education Policy PhD programs. I am a current student and should be graduating with a MS, a JD and CAS all of which require extensive writing I will have at least one publication and another in the works. Any suggestions on how / where to address my low AW score in my application?

I'd just mention it briefly, but in no more than one sentence. I think you can rest assured that the admissions committee will evaluate your application holistically, without focusing too much on any one standardized test score.

Hi! Quick question for you: I have three withdrawals on my transcript. one from each semester in the 2013-2014 year and one in Fall 2014. The ones from 2013-14 are for medical reasons. The Fall 14 one was from dropping my minor. Despite health complications, I still managed to graduate with a dual major and a 3.63. Should I be concerned about my withdrawals for admissions?

I'd just mention them in one sentence in your personal statement, just as you have done above but with slightly more detail. You should probably be OK, although you'll want to clearly communicate that the medical conditions were serious but also that they won't hinder your progress in a graduate program.

Best of luck,

Gabe

Hi Gabe,

First - thanks so much for taking the time to answer our questions!

I'm applying to PhD programs in sociology (mostly) for Fall 2016, but feel very ambivalent about direction. I'm in my very early 30s, was a Political Science and an area studies double major in college with about a 3.6 GPA; I worked for a year in my area studies' department after graduation, and performed okay (I can't remember the scores) on the GRE.

I have a masters in an interdisciplinary program from an international relations geared school, which within this subfield is ranked/seen as a very good school. Since the MA, I've been out of school for 6 years, but have lived and worked abroad in a conflict region, and have been back in the States working in the NGO sector. All of what I've done (work abroad, current work) since the MA have been not only related more or less to what I was interested in while in that program, but directly have guided what I'm interested in pursuing research work on in the near future.

My dilemma is multi-fold:

how do I determine sociology is the fit (I feel like it is after obsessive research into other fields including Anthro, Poli Sci, Economics, and even History)?

am I now too old be pursuing a PhD? (I have hesitated for the last few years, because I didn't feel I knew what I wanted to work on, and felt it was disingenous to pursue a PhD just for the hell of it - like some sort of badge)

I'm interested in current and historical geopolitics, gendered social movements, migrations, etc., and would like to be focused particularly on a specific part of central/western Asia - does this fit in the sociology discipline or should I be looking at Anthro, Poli Sci, IR, etc., after all? I'm having a hard time finding faculty in sociology departments with a focus remotely close to what I'm interested in.

Again, thanks so much for reading and for your help with the questions!!

Zouzou,

It sounds like you've done your research and are on top of things, and that Sociology is probably a good fit for you. However, because your field experience doesn't fit neatly into any of the standard sociological subfields, in graduate school you'll need to develop a dissertation research project that leverages your experience and skills while also contributing to a recognized sociological subdiscipline (or a few such subdisciplines). Finding a graduate program that will facilitate this may be tough.

Regarding your age, what I often ask students in situations similar to your own is how they'll feel in 5-7 years when their friends are moving up the corporate ladder, making nice incomes, buying houses etc. while you're still in graduate school dealing with nerdy students and departmental politics. This had better really be your calling.

I wish you all the best. Drop me a line some time to let me know how things work out.

Gabe

Hi Gabe,

Thanks for that advice. I think regarding friends etc. in 5 years - I work for a non-profit and have been since getting the MA so I'm not making the big bucks by any means nor am I on the way to that. I think a PhD would actually help with being more competitive in the nonprofit, think tank world so part of my ambition toward a PhD is that. But you are right, I still need to come to terms about possibly still being in graduate school in 5 years.

Thanks again, and I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Hi Prof,

I have been admitted into the MAPSS at the University of Chicago. My undergraduate degree was a combination of a B.A and an LLB. I have spent about two years working in an academic environment as an RA, mainly in social policy. I'm not sure if I want to be spending around $60k on the MAPSS but at the same time, since I don't have a formal training in sociology (except two semesters during my undergrad) I'm not too sure what my chances are at a fully funded PhD. The professors that I work with suggest that it might be better to try this admission cycle for a PhD (I didn;t last year - I applied only for masters programs) and if it doesn't work out, then maybe consider doing a masters degree first. What do you think?

Hi rchd25, I'm not the Prof, but I have little academic background in my field. I feel I did have a good research oriented SOP, good LORs, and a consistent, original writing sample. I got into a well ranked research university, so don't let your academic background per se limit you. I don't know about India, but I feel like compared to, say, Spain, the US is more flexible and open. It depends on how you can present yourself and your ideas. BTW, the Prof gave me excellent advise, he's great!

First, thanks to eyepod for the kind works. Second, I usually advise students in your position to apply to approx. 10 PhD programs that offer full funding, with a few being top places, and then a few safer options where you'd fit well and where you'd be willing to go if it were your best option.

Regarding MAPSS, a close friend of mine went that route 15+ years ago and it did help get him admitted to a top-5 sociology department. The money would've been a big issue for me though, and a better bet might be to be a big fish in a smaller (and cheaper) pond someplace else such as your local state university. Many of my students have gone the cheap MA/MS to PhD route and have emerged without crushing debt loads.

Best of luck in any case. Hope to see you at a conference down the road some time.

Gabe

Hello SocProf,

I'm from Latin America. I will be applying to PhD programs in sociology this year. I have 4 years of research experience, teaching experience and a publications (2 in peer reviewed journals and 1 book chapter). First, I want some information about the famous "tiers" and my second question is about the recommendation letters. I have emailed some POI's about this and they say that I need "glowing" letters of recommendation. Also if the professor who recommends me does not have a PhD from an US university the recommendation letter has to be written with the style of US recommendation letters. What do they mean about the US style? Finally, how many programs should I apply? I am into gender issues.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Eyepod and SocProf! This makes me feel a lot more confident about trying my luck with PhD applications this year :)

jvpjvp,

I'd apply to about 10, with a few being top programs and a few safety schools where you be willing to attend if it were your best option. Regarding the "tiers," you might look at this article:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/education/2015/02/university_hiring_if_you_didn_t_get_your_ph_d_at_an_elite_university_good.html?wpsrc=sh_all_dt_tw_bot

Regarding the code of writing letters of recommendation, there's this:

http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2010/01/the-differing-codes-in-which-letters-of-reference-are-written.html

Hope this all helps!

Gabe

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking about applying to International Relations Masters programs in the UK. I'm hoping to gain some perspective about questions and reservations I have. Specifically, how are International Relations Masters programs received or viewed by employers in the US, are the viewed as equivalent or as being less valuable? I'm not sure if I want to stay in the UK and find employment there, and if I shovel out thousands of dollars will it be a waste because Think Tanks, DOS, and other U.S. based organization will automatically dismiss the degree as lacking credibility? Thank you for your help.

-George

I have a few questions about masters programs in sociology...

I have heard good things and things that make me hesitated to apply. Is it a good idea to still apply to masters programs although my bachelors degree is in a different field? I have a bachelors in speech pathology and know that pre-reqs are required for those wanting to pursue a masters degree in speech pathology who have a bachelors in another field. I know that there don't seem to be any pre-reqs for sociology majors without a bachelors in the field. Is it still a good idea to apply for masters programs in sociology?

Also, the two sociology programs I'm looking into don't require GRE scores. Is this the case for any sociology program at any university? I found it interesting.

Thanks for the help!