Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)

Heyyyylo, everyone!

I've gotten all this advice from well meaning friends, faculty members, and my SO that says to stay off of GradCafe because it will, inevitably, drive you crazier than the waiting game already does; obviously, that advice is falling on deaf ears as it were. And, honestly, I really don't know how much "crazier" I could get as I realize that it is now simultaneously my greatest hope and my greatest fear that I'll check my email or an application site and learn that there's a decision available. One way or the other, I feel completely underprepared for that moment.

Anyway- 

As I wait to hear back about my applications, I've been perusing this thread and, while I won't deny a bit of anxiety immediately upon learning of someone's acceptance when my own inbox remains empty of anything worth reading, it's really great to see how supportive and congratulatory everyone here is. Hope you don't mind if I join in a bit more often! 

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THOSE ALREADY ACCEPTED!  :D

This really is such a kind, lovely group of people!  It's so amazing to step back from this one month of stress and anxiety to think, woah, these are future colleagues!!  

I hope that Berkeley Rhetoric notifies soon.  I just want to know, whichever way it goes.  *fingers crossed*

Not to add fuel to anyone's fire, but I do know a professor in Berkeley's Classics and Comp Lit departments told me today that both those disciplines had already sent out acceptances... I can't imagine Rhetoric will be far behind. :)

Edit: I'll admit, though, that I don't see evidence of his comments on the results board. Maybe he meant the decisions had been made? He was surprised the English department hadn't notified yet, so I don't know...

Edited by hreaðemus

Not to add fuel to anyone's fire, but I do know a professor in Berkeley's Classics and Comp Lit departments told me today that both those disciplines had already sent out acceptances... I can't imagine Rhetoric will be far behind. :)

Edit: I'll admit, though, that I don't see evidence of his comments on the results board. Maybe he meant the decisions had been made? He was surprised the English department hadn't notified yet, so I don't know...

Well, I won't hold you to it ;)  But thanks for this tidbit...

Hmmmmmm, I don't know... as I posted in the comp lit thread, I was told by comp lit's admission office that acceptances will come out early next week.... oh well, thanks for the heads-up anyway :)

Hmmmmmm, I don't know... as I posted in the comp lit thread, I was told by comp lit's admission office that acceptances will come out early next week.... oh well, thanks for the heads-up anyway :)

Well, you might be right! I only applied for English programs, so I didn't ask him for loads of details... perhaps he meant decisions have been made? And that would make sense if they're sending out acceptances early next week. Maybe he sat on the adcomm and knows they're done, but isn't in charge of the administrative aspects. :)

Hi Red_Barron! That's a very cute kitty in your avatar.

Skye12, I imagine that not having heard anything is a good sign. My last name starts with V and I got a rejection today, so I don't think it's an issue of them not getting far enough down the alphabet. Maybe you should check the application status page on the Duke website? That's where the actual decision ended up.

Heyyyylo, everyone!

I've gotten all this advice from well meaning friends, faculty members, and my SO that says to stay off of GradCafe because it will, inevitably, drive you crazier than the waiting game already does; obviously, that advice is falling on deaf ears as it were. And, honestly, I really don't know how much "crazier" I could get as I realize that it is now simultaneously my greatest hope and my greatest fear that I'll check my email or an application site and learn that there's a decision available. One way or the other, I feel completely underprepared for that moment.

Anyway- 

As I wait to hear back about my applications, I've been perusing this thread and, while I won't deny a bit of anxiety immediately upon learning of someone's acceptance when my own inbox remains empty of anything worth reading, it's really great to see how supportive and congratulatory everyone here is. Hope you don't mind if I join in a bit more often! 

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THOSE ALREADY ACCEPTED!  :D

To make you feel slightly better perhaps, it seems to be kind of a widely accepted fact that previous years on this thread were 'nastier' than this one. The group active on here now is nothing but love, which isn't to say that seeing a bunch of highly talented people and then realizing they're your competitors isn't kind of unnerving at times, but still: the pros outweigh the cons.

I hope that Berkeley Rhetoric notifies soon.  I just want to know, whichever way it goes.  *fingers crossed*

Same thing—ever since I saw the January 28 acceptance from a few years ago on the results board, I have been on the edge of my seat. Especially after someone in Berkeley, CA viewed my academia.edu profile about a week ago  :unsure:

To make you feel slightly better perhaps, it seems to be kind of a widely accepted fact that previous years on this thread were 'nastier' than this one. The group active on here now is nothing but love, which isn't to say that seeing a bunch of highly talented people and then realizing they're your competitors isn't kind of unnerving at times, but still: the pros outweigh the cons.

It's funny, because while I can't deny that I get a tinge (just a tinge!) of envy at some acceptances, I'm honestly far more happy for the acceptees than sad for myself...even when it comes to the programs that have provided me with the one legitimate and one implied rejection. I'm seriously thrilled to see the joy expressed by those who got accepted, and it's more of a case of "I can't wait to join you in the celebration!" than anything.

actually, that doesn't unnerve me one bit. Well, I'm much older for one. But I know so many incredibly talented people with rejections -- and sorry honestly (some not-so-talented) people with acceptances -- that I've decided it has nothing to do with your ability really. It probably has more to do with one's field and fit........ and magic. :rolleyes: remember the role of market forces in this and no one should feel bad.

So I have this theory that now that I have one rejection out of the way, every other rejection that comes in is going to sting a little less, and I'm going to be able to remain positive and optimistic that one of my sixteen programs will come through and that I am still a val....bwahahahahahaha, who am I kidding? My psyche is TOTALLY going to crash and burn!

We'll be right here to catch you if you do. But don't let the little demons of angst mess with your head,  :wub:

actually, that doesn't unnerve me one bit. Well, I'm much older for one. But I know so many incredibly talented people with rejections -- and sorry honestly (some not-so-talented) people with acceptances -- that I've decided it has nothing to do with your ability really. It probably has more to do with one's field and fit........ and magic. :rolleyes: remember the role of market forces in this and no one should feel bad.

I'm out of upvotes, but I agree so much with this, and it's what I've been trying to tell myself during those inevitable bleak moments and three o'clocks.

If the UNC-Chapel Hill person who just got into Duke is lurking on here: have fun getting mercilessly teased! I can't think of many more heated rivalries than Duke/UNC! (And also congrats to you and all the other Duke acceptances!)

Crapcrapcrap--in my haste to not be one of those people who post acceptances but not stats per the other thread, I put the wrong GRE score. It should be 168 verbal, not 169.