Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)

That moment when you decline an unfunded masters program but begin to worry that's the only acceptance you'll receive this season. INFJs overthink everything. 

If it's any consolation, I think you made the right decision. Paying for a MA in the humanities is almost always a bad idea. What's more, many of the so-called cash cow programs (I'm thinking especially of the Chicago Humanities MA) have achieved such notoriety that their graduates often have a difficult time securing top PhD offers. Not saying that this same stigma is attached to Temple, but you still don't want to drop 20, 30, or 40K on an MA. The payoff isn't worth the debt.

In any case, I hope that you'll hear back soon from a program willing to fund you!

That moment when you decline an unfunded masters program but begin to worry that's the only acceptance you'll receive this season. INFJs overthink everything. 

I had two of these offers last year. I decided to turn them down, and, while I regretted it occasionally, I also know that the kind of debt I would have accrued in MAPH or at Columbia could have put an end to any PhD hopes I might have had going forward, especially if I ever need to take out more loans to make ends meet in a particularly bad year. Turning down an expensive unfunded MA sucks, even at a great school, but you made the right choice!

Indeed, congrats to the new UCLA admit! Are they sending out two acceptances a day or something? :P A novel approach...

Edit to add: CONGRATS to UC Davis admit too! Wish I had decided to apply there...

Edited by 1Q84

TeaOverCoffee I feel your pain, I think an unfunded offer from a US institution is bound to feel more painful because they're leaving the supposed decision in your hands but really there's no decision to make because of the price tag.

And yes yes yes, congrats to the UCLA and UC Davis admits. Keep on rocking!

Not to entirely disagree with the unfunded MA, but I started my MA unfunded, but ended up with a half-tuition scholarship, wound up with a TAship in my second year, and now am where I am for my PhD. The cash cow programs are certainly one thing, but not all unfunded MAs are a terrible idea. It comes down to your individual situation - if you think it's a bad idea for you, then don't put yourself through that situation and debt.

Not to entirely disagree with the unfunded MA, but I started my MA unfunded, but ended up with a half-tuition scholarship, wound up with a TAship in my second year, and now am where I am for my PhD. The cash cow programs are certainly one thing, but not all unfunded MAs are a terrible idea. It comes down to your individual situation - if you think it's a bad idea for you, then don't put yourself through that situation and debt.

I agree.

While I don't have a firm "plan B" in mind as yet, if I don't get some good news in the next two or three weeks, I may very well apply to a few local unfunded M.A .programs with March or April deadlines. It's not what I want to do -- not by a long shot -- but it would be a sidestep with the aim of applying for Ph.D. programs again next year. Otherwise, it will probably be a case of finding a job / career that is possible with nothing but a B.A.

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

Not to entirely disagree with the unfunded MA, but I started my MA unfunded, but ended up with a half-tuition scholarship, wound up with a TAship in my second year, and now am where I am for my PhD. The cash cow programs are certainly one thing, but not all unfunded MAs are a terrible idea. It comes down to your individual situation - if you think it's a bad idea for you, then don't put yourself through that situation and debt.

Very wise words. I guess I spoke as someone whose only experience of a US master was a consolation cash cow programme when I applied a few years ago.

But I did actually end up going to an unfunded masters programme elsewhere and I think it was really helpful in making me realise what I want as a scholar

Edited by Katla

Alright... I just want to preface by saying I'm really sorry, but I'd love to talk to someone about Stanford MTL. I have a transcript issue; namely, I was told I need not worry about sending an official transcript unless I'm offered admission. So, according to my favorite person in the world, the MTL program assistant, my file is complete. However, the webpage says the university requires official paper transcripts as part of a complete application. The caveat for me is that my degree and official transcripts are tied to some money I owe (bursar won't release them until my account is clear) so I'm not able to send anything until I secure loans. I'm so nervous. Help my nerves!

I agree.

While I don't have a firm "plan B" in mind as yet, if I don't get some good news in the next two or three weeks, I may very well apply to a few local unfunded M.A .programs with March or April deadlines. It's not what I want to do -- not by a long shot -- but it would be a sidestep with the aim of applying for Ph.D. programs again next year. Otherwise, it will probably be a case of finding a job / career that is possible with nothing but a B.A.

I honestly don't think you need to do an MA, and doing one might not necessarily translate into acceptance. There's definitely a learning curve that goes along with all of this, so your applications next year will probably automatically be better.

I also noticed that the programs you're applying to are all EXTREMELY selective. Like, none of these programs is easy to get into at all. If you apply again, you might consider looking beyond the top 20 or 30. There are a lot of good programs out there with solid placement rates, and sometimes it's better to take an offer from one of those than to apply over and over again. For me reapplying over and over again wasn't worth it--I just wanted to get started on my graduate degree. And I'm glad I did, because over two application cycles I never did get into the programs I really wanted, but I was still able to go to graduate school to study what I liked and publish.

That said, it's still early in the admissions cycle, so you could still get some good news.

I second Mike86. One thing to avoid with an unfunded MA is RELOCATION. Giving up a job, comfortable living situation, close ties to friends and family to do an unfunded MA is not a good idea. Not to mention paying out of state tuition! Some may disagree, but an MA in English from your local state school is probably just as valuable as one from Pratt or wherever. 

Alright... I just want to preface by saying I'm really sorry, but I'd love to talk to someone about Stanford MTL. I have a transcript issue; namely, I was told I need not worry about sending an official transcript unless I'm offered admission. So, according to my favorite person in the world, the MTL program assistant, my file is complete. However, the webpage says the university requires official paper transcripts as part of a complete application. The caveat for me is that my degree and official transcripts are tied to some money I owe (bursar won't release them until my account is clear) so I'm not able to send anything until I secure loans. I'm so nervous. Help my nerves!

I don't know if this will help or not bgt28, but I also did not send any official transcripts. I did, however, scan an official copy and attach that. I don't know if the unofficial official is any different than an unofficial honestly. I've heard once you "crack the seal" on the official envelope it is no longer regarded as such. However this was for the literature program, NOT MTL.

Were you told by someone at Stanford about the transcripts?

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works out in your favor though!

Well, I applied to Stanford's English program, and I know they only required UNofficial transcripts. I'm not sure if it's any different for the MTL...or why it would be, for that matter. I understand your concern, though -- nothing's worse than contemplating being DQed on a technicality...

I honestly don't think you need to do an MA, and doing one might not necessarily translate into acceptance. There's definitely a learning curve that goes along with all of this, so your applications next year will probably automatically be better.

I also noticed that the programs you're applying to are all EXTREMELY selective. Like, none of these programs is easy to get into at all. If you apply again, you might consider looking beyond the top 20 or 30. There are a lot of good programs out there with solid placement rates, and sometimes it's better to take an offer from one of those than to apply over and over again. For me reapplying over and over again wasn't worth it--I just wanted to get started on my graduate degree. And I'm glad I did, because over two application cycles I never did get into the programs I really wanted, but I was still able to go to graduate school to study what I liked and publish.

That said, it's still early in the admissions cycle, so you could still get some good news.

I agree with what you are saying, though for the line of study I'm intending, the schools I applied to are demonstrably among the best fits. I did look at lower prestige programs, but very few have solid prosodists on their faculty. Getting an M.A. in the interim would at least give me graduate experience and make me arguably more employable for other fields. Again, it's truly a Plan B. The other option would be getting a low level job for a year and just trying again for 2016...but that might be even more soul-crushing than going the other route. We'll have to see. I really haven't thought about it much, and won't unless / until I get shut out.

Argh, I totally get your frustration. I have been going through a similar issue for a different university (and I even sent them effing original transcripts only I sent them rather than my university). I can only say with kurayamino and WT that I also only provided unofficial transcripts when I applied for their Comp Lit programme and that looking at the webpage's checklist it says my application is complete. Scrolling down to transcripts it says 'Received' (Not Official)' and it says that official transcripts are required for a formal admission but that the review can go through with the scanned versions. There's obviously no saying but it would seem weird if the MTL programme was markedly different from both Comp Lit and English...

But I hope it all works out in your favour!!!

LifeAlive: are there any PhD Programs that are easy to get into? Obviously Columbia Stanford UPenn etc are ridiculously difficult, but even the lowest ranked programs admit a small percentage. Also, as been stated frequently on these boards, many applicants have been rejected from "safety schools" but accepted to Duke UCLA etc. It's too early in the process to tell if applicants will be shut out, and it could easily happen that applicants who are waiting will get accepted into schools they never seriously thought were achievable.

I agree.

I thought I'd weight in on this issue of accepting an unfunded MA acceptance. While I agree that relocating to an unfunded MA program would be unwise, I think applying to a local MA program is a good alternative. I received my MA from a local university (not even thinking about a future PhD), and it was a great experience. My first year was unfunded, but I had a GA position my second year. All this to say that I know it is not your dream, WT, but you may be unexpectedly blessed from the experience (more connections, writing opportunities, conferences, etc). 

I hope that we ALL get into a PhD program though...

LifeAlive: are there any PhD Programs that are easy to get into? Obviously Columbia Stanford UPenn etc are ridiculously difficult, but even the lowest ranked programs admit a small percentage. Also, as been stated frequently on these boards, many applicants have been rejected from "safety schools" but accepted to Duke UCLA etc. It's too early in the process to tell if applicants will be shut out, and it could easily happen that applicants who are waiting will get accepted into schools they never seriously thought were achievable.

I don't have any more upvotes, but I definitely agree with this. As we have talked about in other areas "fit" seems to be such a huge factor.

I don't have any more upvotes, but I definitely agree with this. As we have talked about in other areas "fit" seems to be such a huge factor.

I guess to play devil's advocate: I agree, fit does play a huge factor. I interpret that conclusion in the opposite way, though. I find it difficult to believe that all the experts in one field happen to be in the top 20 English programs in America. Certainly fit should dictate that one apply to a breadth of "high" and "low" programs because experts in one's area do appear in a wide variety of ranked schools. 

Maybe your field is unique in that way, Wyatt, but from what I've seen, there are rock star Early Modernists at Yale and at (insert SLAC name here) too. I wager this is the same for most other fields of study.

? I thought you could upload documents? stanford MTL is quite careful about this; I was missing an LOR and they told me I was missing one last year. so I think if your application is incomplete in any way they'll let you know....

oddly enough I feel no anxiety for stanford because (rightly or wrongly) the acceptance rate for MTL is so low that I've taken it as such a long shot........