Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)

In at UMass Amherst! Apparently acceptances can come at any time of day, even after midnight! 

Congratulations!

Congrats! My status is still "applied"  :wacko:

Mine too, jhefflol. I keep checking because of the acceptances posted here, but nothing has changed. I'm starting to think it's going to be a "no."

I received an unofficial acceptance by phone from a POI today! I can't say where yet because official acceptances haven't gone out, but I'm so excited! Congratulations to everyone else who has received good news and best wishes for speedy acceptances to those still waiting!

LifeAlive: are there any PhD Programs that are easy to get into? Obviously Columbia Stanford UPenn etc are ridiculously difficult, but even the lowest ranked programs admit a small percentage. Also, as been stated frequently on these boards, many applicants have been rejected from "safety schools" but accepted to Duke UCLA etc. It's too early in the process to tell if applicants will be shut out, and it could easily happen that applicants who are waiting will get accepted into schools they never seriously thought were achievable.

No program is "easy" to get into, but many programs are more open to candidates with non-traditional backgrounds. My own program was one of these. I came from a nontraditional background (older than the average applicant [30 when I applied]) and not from an elite school. My program accepted me despite these "flaws" in my application, and they accept many candidates that are slightly older and hold less prestigious BAs.

Four years later, I hold a prestigious postdoc. I'm so glad I decided to just go to the less elite program and work hard from there rather than applying and applying over and over again to get into my dream school. I feel I wouldn't have been able to have the opportunities I have now had I turned down this school with the thought that it wasn't good enough. But that's my personal take on things, YMMV.

I received an unofficial acceptance by phone from a POI today! I can't say where yet because official acceptances haven't gone out, but I'm so excited! Congratulations to everyone else who has received good news and best wishes for speedy acceptances to those still waiting!

Yay!! Congratulations!! :)

Congratulations! For me, a second presumed rejection---the program sent official acceptance emails out today and I didn't receive one. No biggie though, just like the first one I knew it was a bit of a stretch because I didn't see myself fitting in with the culture of the school---applied because of a recommendation from one of mr LOR writers to do so.

No emails from programs but two corporate head hunters reached out to me again today...seriously guys, it's been more than six months since I left that world. This is the cruel joke for me today, more so than the implied rejections...

Okay.  So I know this is a problem some people might not want to hear.  And maybe this has already been discussed elsewhere.  But for those of you who have been blessed with acceptances already - do you respond to the email that is sent?  My most recent notification was a formal email, and I'm not sure if I should respond to it -- I feel rude just letting it sit there in my inbox unanswered, but I also have no idea what to say -- I feel like whatever I say will seem overly formal and ungrateful (or just like a superfluous email) or overly giddy and grateful.  Anyone know if there are any agreed-upon conventions on how to handle this wonderful problem?

First, congrats on these acceptances to all!  Things are really starting to heat up here!  So do we think UCLA is done emailing?

Congratulations! For me, a second presumed rejection---the program sent official acceptance emails out today and I didn't receive one. No biggie though, just like the first one I knew it was a bit of a stretch because I didn't see myself fitting in with the culture of the school---applied because of a recommendation from one of mr LOR writers to do so.

No emails from programs but two corporate head hunters reached out to me again today...seriously guys, it's been more than six months since I left that world. This is the cruel joke for me today, more so than the implied rejections...

I know what you mean re: head hunters.  I've definitely had my share in the past year, and am actually chatting with a tech company in SF at the moment.  I've been in that world for some time, left it twice now, but keeping my options open.

Okay.  So I know this is a problem some people might not want to hear.  And maybe this has already been discussed elsewhere.  But for those of you who have been blessed with acceptances already - do you respond to the email that is sent?  My most recent notification was a formal email, and I'm not sure if I should respond to it -- I feel rude just letting it sit there in my inbox unanswered, but I also have no idea what to say -- I feel like whatever I say will seem overly formal and ungrateful (or just like a superfluous email) or overly giddy and grateful.  Anyone know if there are any agreed-upon conventions on how to handle this wonderful problem?

I ended up asking my adviser because I was really uncertain about this too. She suggested I respond with how thrilled I was to being admitted and that I looked forward to visiting the campus. She said that they know students are still waiting to hear from other schools, but that acknowledging the email with a positive vibe is a good thing.

I ended up asking my adviser because I was really uncertain about this too. She suggested I respond with how thrilled I was to being admitted and that I looked forward to visiting the campus. She said that they know students are still waiting to hear from other schools, but that acknowledging the email with a positive vibe is a good thing.

I did the same thing to the POIs that emailed me after asking a friend-- I said that I was super excited about their offer, couldn't wait for the visit days, and that I'd reach out with questions if I had them.  Figured it was better to keep myself on their radar!

I did have a question on that note, though-- I got an email today from a POI welcoming me, but as they wrapped up their email they mentioned that they'd love to hear more about my research. Normally I'd email back with a variation of the above response, but should I go more in-depth? I don't want to just reiterate what I mentioned in my SoP/WS since they clearly read it, but I don't want to respond and ignore that point, either. Any thoughts?

P.S. Official letter of acceptance from UC Santa Barbara just popped up in my inbox.

Ahhh!!! Congrats-- all I know about Santa Barbara I learned from Psych, but they made it seem amazing, haha. 

So far I've been admitted to UC Davis and UMass Amherst. I'm still waiting on 13 other schools. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these schools? I know Davis is ranked higher, but I try to put too much stock into that. Which would you rather attend?

BTW - I'm 19th and early 20th C American, immigrant lit, space and place studies. I'll have an MA from Kansas at the end of this year, BA from South Carolina 

Edited by CarolineKS

Does anyone know where to find that very extensive list of questions to ask about a prospective graduate program? I've been looking for over twenty minutes, but some of the threads on this forum have gotten very long, and I can't seem to find it. I'm so excited to have a reason to review it more carefully! 

Thanks for the congratulations! I'm not telling any of my friends in real life until I get the paper acceptance, so it's awesome to have such a supportive online community to share news with.  :)

Edited by inkgraduate

CarolineKS, I saw your post on the results board and was hoping you'd post here! I also got into UC Davis yesterday, am doing 19th C Am. & queer theory & critical race theory, and I got my M.A. at K-State! I'd love to chat with you about Davis (which is among my top choices) and stuff!

Thanks, that actually helps a lot!  I guess this should seem obvious, but I'm terrible with e-mail etiquette...

So far I've been admitted to UC Davis and UMass Amherst. I'm still waiting on 13 other schools. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these schools? I know Davis is ranked higher, but I try to put too much stock into that. Which would you rather attend?

BTW - I'm 19th and early 20th C American, immigrant lit, space and place studies. I'll have an MA from Kansas at the end of this year, BA from South Carolina 

I was accepted there two years ago, went to their welcome week, and email corresponded with both their graduate students and some faculty during that process.  

If you have any questions let me know.  I'm 100% candid and here to help. I also do 19th and 20th American as well as "multi-ethnic" literature.  

Edited by NowMoreSerious

Does anyone know where to find that very extensive list of questions to ask about a prospective graduate program? I've been looking for over twenty minutes, but some of the threads on this forum have gotten very long, and I can't seem to find it. I'm so excited to have a reason to review it more carefully!

Every person who reads this has to give LyonessRampant an upvote. It's GC law.

That is an amazing list of questions. Decidedly up voted.

I'll claim the latest UCLA reject.  No one likes rejection....That said, I'm glad the acceptances went to others on this board.  I was encouraged to apply by an advisor, and would have enjoyed working with the POIs I contacted, but I don't really like the idea of living in Los Angeles!   ;)

I'll claim the latest UCLA reject.  No one likes rejection....That said, I'm glad the acceptances went to others on this board.  I was encouraged to apply by an advisor, and would have enjoyed working with the POIs I contacted, but I don't really like the idea of living in Los Angeles!   ;)

Perfect opportunity to whip out one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite artists...

Not to everyone's taste, I'm sure...but it pops into my head whenever someone mentions either wanting or NOT wanting to live in Los Angeles. :P

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

Every person who reads this has to give LyonessRampant an upvote. It's GC law.

Thanks so much for finding this WT, I had also been looking for it.

I'm also sorry to see the all the red from UCLA. I hope there will be good news soon for all of you.