Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)

Hello all. I'm new to this forum--only recently discovered gradcafe.

Congratulations to those accepted into graduate schools! I browsed through some of the previous threads and, man, you guys have great academic interests. I'm an international applicant with zero knowledge of the US graduate school system, and I have a question for the Ohio St applicants (incl those accepted):

On appstatus.osu, my application still says 'pending', as I guess it does for those of you who haven't been accepted yet. On the 'Application Requirements' tab, though, there are a number of new sections that were added about twelve hours earlier, the first of which reads "Graduate Program Funding" with the comment "You have now been awarded financial support from your graduate program". The other sections added were "Copy of Passport", "Affidavit of Support", "Confidential Bank Statement", all of which said "waived" pending "funding review". Now, the funding section says "Graduate dept funding does not cover all expenses: short $297" and the other sections (banks statement etc.) now read "incomplete" (asking me to show proof of $297 per year in a bank account).

I haven't heard from the department--by phone, email or their website--and I wonder if this is some kind of error or glitch that occurred when the other acceptances were posted. Has anybody else got the same sections in their 'app requirements' tab? Thought I'd ask around here before emailing the graduate admissions office.

Hello all. I'm new to this forum--only recently discovered gradcafe.

Congratulations to those accepted into graduate schools! I browsed through some of the previous threads and, man, you guys have great academic interests. I'm an international applicant with zero knowledge of the US graduate school system, and I have a question for the Ohio St applicants (incl those accepted):

On appstatus.osu, my application still says 'pending', as I guess it does for those of you who haven't been accepted yet. On the 'Application Requirements' tab, though, there are a number of new sections that were added about twelve hours earlier, the first of which reads "Graduate Program Funding" with the comment "You have now been awarded financial support from your graduate program". The other sections added were "Copy of Passport", "Affidavit of Support", "Confidential Bank Statement", all of which said "waived" pending "funding review". Now, the funding section says "Graduate dept funding does not cover all expenses: short $297" and the other sections (banks statement etc.) now read "incomplete" (asking me to show proof of $297 per year in a bank account).

I haven't heard from the department--by phone, email or their website--and I wonder if this is some kind of error or glitch that occurred when the other acceptances were posted. Has anybody else got the same sections in their 'app requirements' tab? Thought I'd ask around here before emailing the graduate admissions office.

Hmmm I double checked the website, and I saw nothing like this. I'd ask their grad office.

Congrats to everyone who has heard back from OSU! I'm looking forward to meeting you at the department's Open House in March!

mightysparrow - In my experience the website can be really wacky. I've had all kinds of crazy stuff on my account, and I usually just ignore it. It's probably not the best solution to the issue, but I will echo that when I received my acceptance last year, it first came as an update to my application status, then a phone call from Dr. Garcha (our DGS) a week later. (And the call was very late -- around 8 pm PST, which meant he was calling at 11 pm from Ohio.)

then a phone call from Dr. Garcha (our DGS) a week later. (And the call was very late -- around 8 pm PST, which meant he was calling at 11 pm from Ohio.)

Conversely, he called me at like 9:50am, right before I was about to go teach haha. I sometimes wonder when that man actually sleeps...

mightysparrow - In my experience the website can be really wacky. I've had all kinds of crazy stuff on my account, and I usually just ignore it. It's probably not the best solution to the issue, but I will echo that when I received my acceptance last year, it first came as an update to my application status, then a phone call from Dr. Garcha (our DGS) a week later. (And the call was very late -- around 8 pm PST, which meant he was calling at 11 pm from Ohio.)

Thanks, Chadillac!

Just heard from Dr. Amanpal Garcha. I got in! A fellowship nomination as well. He told me to expect a call with details on Saturday.

Toasterazzi, I wrote to him at 12:45 am Columbus time, and he replied in four minutes!

Congratulations!!! What fantastic news!! :D

(this also makes me happy for extremely selfish reasons, clearly it is possible for international applicants to get funded at public unis, wehey!)

Just heard from Dr. Amanpal Garcha. I got in! A fellowship nomination as well. He told me to expect a call with details on Saturday.

Toasterazzi, I wrote to him at 12:45 am Columbus time, and he replied in four minutes!

Awesome!

(and yeah, dude doesn't sleep lol)

Congrats to everyone who has heard back from OSU! I'm looking forward to meeting you at the department's Open House in March!

Congrats, mightysparrow! And yeah, OSU's interface was THE most annoying of any application I did this season, aside from the myriad of janky online job applications I've filled out. But I'm stoked to visit and actually meet some of wonderful GC people I've encountered virtually over the past months!

The myriad of different software systems and application programs was what was the most surprising about my first time doing this. Most of my schools were applyweb or applyyourself, but there were a couple of outliers, and even then, I had some issues with elements of my portfolio going through the first time. 

Two or three of the schools I applied to require you to close out of all of your other browser windows / tabs etc. before it lets you access the site. A very minor thing...but annoying!

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

USC American studies and ethnicity - I'm very excited to be potentially working with some rock star scholars, including jack halberstam, Nayan shah, etc.

Wow, that's amazing! I would give an arm and a leg to work with Halberstam!

Ditto. And a huge congrats, sillyrabbit. I was so bummed I couldn't apply to USC. Not that I could get in, but I quote Halberstam like its my job... lol

For the Halberstam fans, just thought I'd put this here as they combine my two (or three, including the Last Bookstore) loves into one beautiful video:

http://www.ifc.com/portlandia/videos/exclusive-women-and-women-first-debate-in-downtown-la

For the Halberstam fans, just thought I'd put this here as they combine my two (or three, including the Last Bookstore) loves into one beautiful video:

http://www.ifc.com/portlandia/videos/exclusive-women-and-women-first-debate-in-downtown-la

Alack, the site doesn't take kindly to people outside of the US. Thanks for sharing anyway :)

Hey, GradCafe-ers! I'm currently in my second year at Ohio State in the MA/PhD program (I study queer theory, LGBT lit/pop culture, and the Gothic). I haven't been on here since my app season in 2013, but I know that our DGS (Aman, who is awesome) started contacting those accepted recently and I figured I would stop by to offer myself as a resource if you have any questions! Feel free to PM with specific questions or just respond here with more general queries. Best of luck to everyone!

Haha that was great...my friends have been telling me to get into Portlandia...maybe this is the time...

Hello all! New to GradCafe and glad to see an active (clearly impressive) forum for English folks. I still haven't heard back from any of my schools, but I offer tons of congratulations to all of you who've gotten accepted! I hope to join the ranks sooner rather than later. 

Hello all! New to GradCafe and glad to see an active (clearly impressive) forum for English folks. I still haven't heard back from any of my schools, but I offer tons of congratulations to all of you who've gotten accepted! I hope to join the ranks sooner rather than later. 

Welcome! I'm assuming the first larger waves of notices will start rolling out within the next 2 weeks... :/

Well, UW-Madison notified on the equivalent day last year (fourth Friday in January), so we'll see if that holds true for this year. I'm not holding my breath, but I'll be a little more on-edge than normal today, I think...

I would love to hear from Madison today. It will make up for not hearing from Ohio State. Here's hoping....

They update their application system daily at 7:00 AM CST, which means that I check it at 8:01 EST every single day...

Good luck to you!