Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)

Congrats to all the admits! How exciting. As for UMD, don't stress if you haven't heard back yet. Last year, we rolled out our notifications, and those who were on the wait list weren't notified until a spot opened up. The incoming cohort wasn't truly settled until April 17, actually. So I wouldn't be surprised if acceptances trickled out again this year.

Also, hypervodka, let me know if you want to chat about UMD! You'll be contacted by students within your field soon enough, but if you're eager to ask some questions sooner than later, I'm happy to talk. I'd prefer video chatting, though, as I rarely have access to both of my hands these days! ;)

Also, hypervodka, let me know if you want to chat about UMD! You'll be contacted by students within your field soon enough, but if you're eager to ask some questions sooner than later, I'm happy to talk. I'd prefer video chatting, though, as I rarely have access to both of my hands these days! ;)

Thanks so much! I absolutely will take you up on that.

Congrats, Hypervodka!

I can't speak for the other people who've received offers from other schools, but the sense I've gotten thus far is that the earliness of my Urbana admission was tied up with the deadline for the specific (sort of crazy good?) fellowship they're applying for on my behalf. I don't think it means that they've made all the other decisions about the cohort, or that people who haven't heard yet won't be admitted!

Edited since I now see that lyonessrampant mentioned this upthread!

On behalf of the UIUC English department, allow me to welcome you to our program, should you choose to accept. I, too, was an early admit, but I was told they try to let their top candidates know as soon as possible, so this may be another potential reason for your early acceptance. Please, do ask any questions, if you have any. I am happy to help in anyway I can.

Congratz all!

I wanted to share my second PhD acceptance this weekend with you all. I'm very grateful to have heard back already from two very strong programs that are also great research fits. Again, I applied to both English and Am. studies programs, so I think they have different timelines.

I'm actually somewhat speechless at this point.

Best of luck to those who are waiting...fingers crossed for good news soon!

Congratz all!

I wanted to share my second PhD acceptance this weekend with you all. I'm very grateful to have heard back already from two very strong programs that are also great research fits. Again, I applied to both English and Am. studies programs, so I think they have different timelines.

I'm actually somewhat speechless at this point.

Best of luck to those who are waiting...fingers crossed for good news soon!

Congrats! I noticed earlier today you'd upped your signature to two acceptances, but didn't want to call you out. :P

Good for you!! Do you mind my asking where you've been accepted?

Very first notification was an acceptance!!!! Considering the shut out that was my last application cycle, this is a huge relief! :)

And here I thought today would be a day of no news--congrats!!!

Hey, so what's the deal with interviews in English Ph.D. programs? Will all/most programs request them? 

Almost no programs require them, and those that do are exceptions rather than the rule. Duke lit and Emory are the two biggest interviewers, I think. 

Good for you!! Do you mind my asking where you've been accepted?

USC American studies and ethnicity - I'm very excited to be potentially working with some rock star scholars, including jack halberstam, Nayan shah, etc.

I hope no one minds me posting American studies results here...the interdisciplinary forums seem rather dead. This forum has become my home anyway

Hey, so what's the deal with interviews in English Ph.D. programs? Will all/most programs request them? 

Not all will request them -- not even most of them. 

I think the interview serves two basic functions. The most significant thing is that it allows programs to verify that a person is actually a good fit for them. They're investing a lot of time and money in their admits, so they want to make sure that 1) you're ready for a PhD and won't wash out, and 2) that you're a normal person. 

The second thing, and this is going to sound a bit cynical, is that the interview is linked to prestige. In the last few years, there has been a rise in the number of mid-tier schools like Notre Dame and SMU doing interviews. These schools have plenty of money (the very interview itself, and the fact that schools can afford to bring you in, reminds you of this) and, I imagine, want to see their stature commensurate with their wealth. The interview makes the program seem that it is more prestigious than it actually is. I don't mean to diminish the success of people getting interviews -- certainly that's a big deal and those folks should be congratulated. But it seems that most of the interviewing schools are ranked from 20-50 in US News, on the cusp of entering the top tier, and have something to gain by advancing the sense of their selectivity. 

USC American studies and ethnicity - I'm very excited to be potentially working with some rock star scholars, including jack halberstam, Nayan shah, etc.

Wow, that's amazing! I would give an arm and a leg to work with Halberstam!

(also, is it just me that has to remind myself there probably was some reason (good or bad) for why I didn't apply every time someone mentions a programme and its amazing professors?) 

Wow, that's amazing! I would give an arm and a leg to work with Halberstam!

(also, is it just me that has to remind myself there probably was some reason (good or bad) for why I didn't apply every time someone mentions a programme and its amazing professors?)

Ditto. And a huge congrats, sillyrabbit. I was so bummed I couldn't apply to USC. Not that I could get in, but I quote Halberstam like its my job... lol

Also, re: American Studies, please do share! This was my home last time I applied despite sending equal AmStu and English apps. Despite dropping the AmStu programs this cycle, I'm still big on interdisciplinary work anyway, which had a huge impact on where I applied. It seems to be a trend in English generally.

Edited by In hac spe vivo.