2014-15 Cycle for Canadian Political Science Programs

twinsora

I'm a current NPSIA student, accepted last cycle. Thought I'd check the forums and see if I can offer any information to anyone.

Feel free to ask anything about NPSIA, I also applied and was accepted at GSPIA and Munk so I can offer a little bit of info about that too.

Good luck to everyone!

Hey! :)

Thanks for offering to answer questions.

Do you enjoy the program? What cluster are you in? How many people are in your cluster? Have you started the co-op process?

Hey! :)

Thanks for offering to answer questions.

Do you enjoy the program? What cluster are you in? How many people are in your cluster? Have you started the co-op process?

I'm definitely enjoying the program. Some of the required courses in first year are a bit dry (but really important, like research methods and statistics), I've found my professors and classmates to be excellent. I'm in the International Organizations and Global Public Policy cluster, and we have about 20 or so people I think. Most clusters seem to average around 20, with Intelligence and National Security being the biggest (we have about 100-110 people in first year in total I think). 

The co-op process has just started, and there are many opportunities, but there is A LOT of competition for limited positions. There are a good number of DFATD positions, largely in trade policy but also in defence and security, as well as with a variety of other government departments (Transport, Industry, ESDC, etc). NPSIA has a pretty good co-op placement rate (~90%) but it's unfortunately not guaranteed. That said, I'm in the process of interviewing for DFATD right now so the opportunities definitely exist!

I'm definitely enjoying the program. Some of the required courses in first year are a bit dry (but really important, like research methods and statistics), I've found my professors and classmates to be excellent. I'm in the International Organizations and Global Public Policy cluster, and we have about 20 or so people I think. Most clusters seem to average around 20, with Intelligence and National Security being the biggest (we have about 100-110 people in first year in total I think). 

The co-op process has just started, and there are many opportunities, but there is A LOT of competition for limited positions. There are a good number of DFATD positions, largely in trade policy but also in defence and security, as well as with a variety of other government departments (Transport, Industry, ESDC, etc). NPSIA has a pretty good co-op placement rate (~90%) but it's unfortunately not guaranteed. That said, I'm in the process of interviewing for DFATD right now so the opportunities definitely exist!

Thank you for the reply and information!

I have a final question regarding housing. Did you move to Ottawa for the program? Was it difficult to find housing in late March/early April? I live very far from Ottawa so I am concerned that I will be unable to find somewhere to live if I get accepted.

Thanks. :)

Thank you for the reply and information!

I have a final question regarding housing. Did you move to Ottawa for the program? Was it difficult to find housing in late March/early April? I live very far from Ottawa so I am concerned that I will be unable to find somewhere to live if I get accepted.

Thanks. :)

Yep, I moved from Edmonton to Ottawa at the end of August. I started looking for places as soon as I got accepted, but I didn't actually sign the papers on a place until mid-July when I came out here to view some places. I'm not sure what the timeline was for my classmates, but I think most people didn't secure anything until the summer either. It's definitely do-able!

I should note this is for off-campus housing. Carleton does have some graduate spaces in residence (Leeds Building I believe?) available.

Does anyone know if the Poli Sci department at UofT still uses regular mail to send out acceptances/rejections? There were a few results from past years that said they were sent via postal service...if that is still the case, I feel like it may be an agonizing wait for them to send anything out west haha. 

Does anyone when we hear back from U of T and Queen's for the M.A program?

I also applied to the Queen's MA. I haven't heard anything but their website states that acceptances are usually sent out in early April. I talked to my thesis advisor about this and she said that they probably send out acceptances in mid March but state that we will receive them in April so they don't get an overwhelming amount of emails in March. I hope this is true but we could actually have to wait until April! :(

Does anyone when we hear back from U of T and Queen's for the M.A program?

I spoke to the Grad Advisor at UofT, she said the Ad-Com meets in the first week of March and announcements are made that week or the next, I imagine that depends on when in the week they meet. (I posted this in the main Canadian Uni thread so sorry for any repeats :) ) I specifically referenced the PhD program in my e-mail but I assume they do it all in one, considering that getting the committee together is probably not the easiest thing in the world to schedule.

Also got accepted to Carleton for Political Science. In case anyone is interested in knowing about funding, they offered me $7000 each year as well as a TA position. 

Does anyone here know about the strengths/weaknesses of carleton's MA?  i actually dont know much :S

Also got accepted to Carleton for Political Science. In case anyone is interested in knowing about funding, they offered me $7000 each year as well as a TA position. 

Does anyone here know about the strengths/weaknesses of carleton's MA?  i actually dont know much :S

Hey! I unfortunately don't know too much about Carleton's MA, but my thesis advisor did her MA in Political Science at Carleton and she said she loved it. She is friends with a lot of the faculty and she said that the department shares a wide range of interests. Her area of interest is the Middle East (Islamist movements, democracy, etc.) and apparently she has worked with a few Carleton professors on publications. A lot of NPSIA professors also teach Political Science so I'm sure the faculty is amazing! Carleton is also a very nice school. Ottawa is a great city to be in (rent isn't too expensive, it's very political, it's very well kept, etc.). so I'm sure you would really like Carleton. 

A friend of mine who's currently there digs it. He chose carleton over ottawa and toronto.

Hey! I unfortunately don't know too much about Carleton's MA, but my thesis advisor did her MA in Political Science at Carleton and she said she loved it. She is friends with a lot of the faculty and she said that the department shares a wide range of interests. Her area of interest is the Middle East (Islamist movements, democracy, etc.) and apparently she has worked with a few Carleton professors on publications. A lot of NPSIA professors also teach Political Science so I'm sure the faculty is amazing! Carleton is also a very nice school. Ottawa is a great city to be in (rent isn't too expensive, it's very political, it's very well kept, etc.). so I'm sure you would really like Carleton. 

thats great to hear! and i was actually curious about the link between NPSIA and Poli Sci as well as rent costs, so thanks letting me know  :)  !!

A friend of mine who's currently there digs it. He chose carleton over ottawa and toronto.

by any chance do you know what made your friend choose carleton over ottawa and toronto?

Hey, just to answer the question about Carleton, its a pretty fantastic place to do grad work, since they have a pretty diverse faculty. There are also three options to completing the degree: full coursework, 8 courses + MRP, 6 courses + thesis. In my particular circumstance, they funded 7500 per year, but no TA ship. Probably due to low GPA. 

Thesis is usually a two year program, coursework and MRP are one year programs. 

thats great to hear! and i was actually curious about the link between NPSIA and Poli Sci as well as rent costs, so thanks letting me know  :)  !!

by any chance do you know what made your friend choose carleton over ottawa and toronto?

His "funding offer" for Toronto was a joke, like 2000$ for the year or something. As for Ottawa, to put it politely, it is of lesser quality.