2014-15 Cycle for Canadian Political Science Programs

twinsora

His "funding offer" for Toronto was a joke, like 2000$ for the year or something. As for Ottawa, to put it politely, it is of lesser quality.

You go to U of T for the name recognition and the prestige, not for the funding. The most highly ranked candidates receive only $1000-2000 in funding, everyone else gets an acceptance and nothing else. 

I don't think it's foolish. He's a good fit at Carleton.

Plus, I think it's not financially smart to get in debt to study. Funding influenced my personal choices too. My funding is quite copious and it seriously makes graduate life much better.

Just a question if anyone knows; Does Queens send out rejection emails? Do they come around the same time as the acceptances? The wait is killing me, I just want to know even if it's bad news. 

Current Queen's PhD here - Queen's first round of PhD and MA acceptances officially went out on February 26th (some PhD offers have been known to applicants since mid-February). So if you haven't heard from the department via email, it doesn't necessarily mean you are rejected. The program is taking a lot more graduate students this year (24 MA, 7 PhD) and they usually "over-offer" by a third (with the expectation that a third of the offers they send out will be rejected by the applicants in favour of other programs) and also usually give until the end of March to consider the offer, so if an applicant is ranked "lower" it might take longer to hear back this year (that's just a guess on my part though). It's still really early so I wouldn't panic yet, but if you haven't heard by March, I would email our graduate assistant - to my knowledge if you are rejected, you won't hear if that's the case until quite late in the season (late March to mid-April).

If you (or anyone else considering Queen's) has other q's feel free to pm me :)

Current Queen's PhD here - Queen's first round of PhD and MA acceptances officially went out on February 26th (some PhD offers have been known to applicants since mid-February). So if you haven't heard from the department via email, it doesn't necessarily mean you are rejected. The program is taking a lot more graduate students this year (24 MA, 7 PhD) and they usually "over-offer" by a third (with the expectation that a third of the offers they send out will be rejected by the applicants in favour of other programs) and also usually give until the end of March to consider the offer, so if an applicant is ranked "lower" it might take longer to hear back this year (that's just a guess on my part though). It's still really early so I wouldn't panic yet, but if you haven't heard by March, I would email our graduate assistant - to my knowledge if you are rejected, you won't hear if that's the case until quite late in the season (late March to mid-April).

Thank you so much for your answer! Honestly, Queens isn't my top choice, not even my second choice (not because of the school but because of the location). I just hate the waiting! I am so thrilled for all who have heard, if not slightly envious because it takes off a little bit of the burden. 

This waiting, it's tough. 

marlise_b are you on the admissions committee, by any chance? 

marlise_b are you on the admissions committee, by any chance? 

No, graduate students are not typically on the admissions committee. All the info above is what I've garnered from being in the department for 1.5 years (I also did my MA at Queen's) and from reports from the graduate chair on the structure of the programs in upcoming years (re: size of PhD and MA programs). 

Nothing yet! I've applied for my PhD, but I would imagine the timing of results would be similar. 

I have only applied to those two schools and the wait is making me crazy. Wonder why UofT is releasing feedback later than last year.

Edited by maozedong

I have only applied to those two schools and the wait is making me crazy. Wonder why UofT is releasing feedback later than last year.

I called last Friday and they told me that they were aiming/hoping to release the first round of decisions by the end of this week. 

I called last Friday and they told me that they were aiming/hoping to release the first round of decisions by the end of this week. 

I talked to the grad program admin at UofT about a month ago and she said the ad com meets this week and decisions are released very soon afterwards, so either by the end of this week, or early next. 

I've applied to York, heard nothing back, but checked my app and saw that they required me to send in official transcripts, but no decision/offer yet. 

Your post made me check, and mine now also says they want official transcripts. I know that wasn't there before. I check my myfile all of the time. Good sign or not? So do we send in official transcripts now or wait until the conditional offers are made?

Edited by PoliPixie

E-mailled the Grad program assistant at York and she said that the adcoms is finishing up on the files and will be releasing admissions next week

Edited by twinsora

Congrats to Carleton accepteds!

Has anyone heard anything from UWaterloo, that just hasn't happened to post to the results page yet? Based on previous years, seems like at some a few people should have heard, but no acceptances or rejections have appeared yet. I guess it's probably just taking longer this year for whatever reason.

Edited by BillyBillyBilly