How do smokers handle interview weekends?

gliaful

My friend (we'll call her Sally for ease of reference/anonymity) is applying for grad school and has a question about interview weekends (evolutionary bio, specifically) but she doesn't have a gradcafe account. I keep bugging her to join me on here but she hasn't done it yet. Anyway, that stuff's not really relevant to her question.

Sally is a smoker (I don't know how much/frequency/whatever, she seems like a "regular old smoker" in my naive observations) and she is concerned about interview weekends. She wants to quit but doesn't plan to until she graduates in May. We think it would be best for her to not smoke during the interview weekends because it gives a bad impression, but we don't really know. I guess her specific question is whether that's true (and she should abstain and deal with withdrawal), or if she could sneak it (not sure of her plans here), or if anyone has any other thoughts about this.

I suggested she buy nicotine patches and wear them during visits, but she seemed averse to the idea.

Now that I've posted on her behalf maybe I can get her to join gradcafe and more specifically address (be involved in!) her concerns. I tried.  :D 

Had the same experience a couple of years back when I had to interview. At that point I thought it best to restrict my smoking to the evening (the interview process lasted all weekend), and I think that was the right choice. While I don't think it would substantially affect any POI's  or adcom's decision, you want to avoid doing anything that could irritate anybody of importance. And since some people are really anti-smoker, I'd advise your friend to stick with the patch or to smoke only after the interviewing is done for the day. 

Just tell your friend to keep the "blowing smoke" portion of the interview metaphorical and she'll be fine ;)

In all seriousness, if the patch proves inadequate for her, e-cigarettes with vaporized nicotine have done wonders for some friends of mine as well. I just tried it out for a bit recently and it doesn't leave any smell. Would look silly on campus with it, though.

Just tell your friend to keep the "blowing smoke" portion of the interview metaphorical and she'll be fine ;)

In all seriousness, if the patch proves inadequate for her, e-cigarettes with vaporized nicotine have done wonders for some friends of mine as well. I just tried it out for a bit recently and it doesn't leave any smell. Would look silly on campus with it, though.

That's another good idea! I wonder if those things are inexpensive enough for her to justify buying one for interviews. Actually, it sounds like a healthier option overall...but I imagine that's controversial. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard of studies claiming ecigarettes are still dangerous and not a "healthy" alternative. I think the verdict is still up in the air though since there hasn't been enough long term data and studies on it. Either way, you can buy disposable ecigarettes for about $10 (might vary by state/county, but they are at least a few bucks more expensive than a pack of regular smokes). I'm a smoker as well and I think I will buy a couple of these during interview weekends. They leave a minimal smell (if any at all) and are much more satisfying than gum/patch/dip. They can be used very discreetly as well, such as in a bathroom or your hotel/dorm room. I think this is the best way to go for such an event. You could also supplement ecigs with real cigarettes at nighttime when you know you definitely won't be around anyone important, in the event that the ecigs aren't satisfying enough.

Based on my local options I would recommend Vuse or Njoy. Njoys are slightly cheaper per pen ($7) and pretty much replica size of real cigarettes (they even burn with red LEDs at the tip IIRC), but they aren't rechargeable/refillable. Vuse is slightly more expensive but offers the option of buying "refills" after you buy the core set ($10; cigarette pen + charger + 1 cartridge). The refill package comes with 2 cartridges to replace on the pen when your first runs out. Vuse are fairly larger than a real cigarette though. I've noticed that the Njoys can give you a slight burning sensation in your throat when you first start using them, I didn't notice this when I used Vuse. Both of these should be available at any major gas station.

To address the points from posts above:

-I don't think you look silly with an ecig. They have become common on campus at my undergrad institution, especially since real smoking was banned. I've heard they are much more popular/common out in the west (USA) as well.

-I don't think the "we are all adults" argument is valid. The smell of cigarettes is not enjoyable for many people and lingers on your clothes for much longer than you'd think. Either way, potentially having your chances hurt by something as silly and avoidable as this is just not worth the cost of smoking.

Edited by ineedanak

You could also supplement ecigs with real cigarettes at nighttime when you know you definitely won't be around anyone important, in the event that the ecigs aren't satisfying enough.

I would not do that, because your clothes are going to smell. Stick to ecigs.

I would not do that, because your clothes are going to smell. Stick to ecigs.

Oh well I guess I was assuming that any of the clothes you would be wearing at that time wouldn't be worn the next day.

Edited by ineedanak

Hey all, I forgot to check back on this topic until now. We appreciate the suggestions and she's trying to quit for New Year's. There's a shop nearby that has e-cigs and she says she'll look into it.