Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2015

NWFreeheel11

After all this talk of post bacc stuff after I already applied bummed me out, especially since I got published. Petersons said they have an 8% acceptence rate also. Prolly even more applications than last year so at this point I feel like it's not likely that I'll get an interview,, even though I had made a great contact with my poi.

Me too...

But you have some post-bacc work, right? If I remember correctly, you said you graduated in May? You'd be at over a year by Aug 2015 -- if you're still working now -- and they only want a year.

I'll have 8 months post-bacc full-time after I graduate, but I didn't mention this in my SOP (I wasn't hired yet). Maybe my PI mentioned it, but she probably didn't. OHSU isn't my top-choice, but I do wish I saved myself $70 at this point and applied somewhere else instead.

FYI, I emailed OHSU about the post-bacc research rumor and asked them if I would still be encouraged to apply. This was the response I received:

We do admit students without post-baccalaureate research experience but the admissions committee is going to want to see solid undergraduate research experience which it sounds like you have.  Your GRE scores and GPA will be competitive.  Please be sure to procure stong letters of recommendation from the PI you did your undergraduate research experience with an others who can attest to your skills and committment to obtaining your PhD in Neuroscience.

Anyone heard from Emory GDBBS?  Looks like last year they sent out invites around December 13th.

I've heard back from the Molecular and Systems Pharmacology program, and I've been stalking the admissions results page, it seems like each program within GDBBS is sending them out on their own schedule?

I've heard back from the Molecular and Systems Pharmacology program, and I've been stalking the admissions results page, it seems like each program within GDBBS is sending them out on their own schedule?

Yeah, that seems right.

Me too...

But you have some post-bacc work, right? If I remember correctly, you said you graduated in May? You'd be at over a year by Aug 2015 -- if you're still working now -- and they only want a year.

I'll have 8 months post-bacc full-time after I graduate, but I didn't mention this in my SOP (I wasn't hired yet). Maybe my PI mentioned it, but she probably didn't. OHSU isn't my top-choice, but I do wish I saved myself $70 at this point and applied somewhere else instead.

You are right that I would be working in a lab for a year post grad, but it will be a total of three years before grad school. I've been working at the same lab for about two and a half years now, and I graduated back in may. I got a 2nd author pub and a national conference from that lab too, which should be ok to get an interview at some of schools. But, after reading all this I am not too sure now. Post-baccs mean nothing if you know as much as an undergrad who did more while earning their degree. The point of a post bacc in many cases is to show comittment and get experience you DONT HAVE. If you already have good experience than why even sit through it? I really believe the reason they rejected so many and said that you need a post bacc is because they just had TOO many qualified applicants, period. Either way, I am blessed that I have 2 interviews already set up.  :D

PS If I don't hear back i want my 70 bucks + 50 app fees back, JK!

You are right that I would be working in a lab for a year post grad, but it will be a total of three years before grad school. I've been working at the same lab for about two and a half years now, and I graduated back in may. I got a 2nd author pub and a national conference from that lab too, which should be ok to get an interview at some of schools. But, after reading all this I am not too sure now. Post-baccs mean nothing if you know as much as an undergrad who did more while earning their degree. The point of a post bacc in many cases is to show comittment and get experience you DONT HAVE. If you already have good experience than why even sit through it? I really believe the reason they rejected so many and said that you need a post bacc is because they just had TOO many qualified applicants, period. Either way, I am blessed that I have 2 interviews already set up.  :D

PS If I don't hear back i want my 70 bucks + 50 app fees back, JK!

It is also likely that a postbacc shows commitment to research. There are students who have had extensive undergraduate research experience but underestimate the commitment of pursuing a PhD (long hours, not having a real paycheck for many years, must be internally motivated to get anywhere, etc) and drop out after a year or two (I know a few cases). Having at least 1year of full-time research experience after school and still applying to a PhD means you are making a well thought-out and informed decision. Nobody wants to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars on a student who is not convinced this is the right decision and might not complete the PhD! So don't get discouraged just yet! :)

Congrats to everyone who has received interviews!!! 

To those who heard from Northwestern: Did they specify an interview date? I've been abroad for the past year (highly recommend it!!) and put down my sister's domestic number as an alternative contact method on the application. She received a call in class and told me she'd contact me again once class is over, but I'm dying to know!! 

Congrats to everyone who has received interviews!!! 

To those who heard from Northwestern: Did they specify an interview date? I've been abroad for the past year (highly recommend it!!) and put down my sister's domestic number as an alternative contact method on the application. She received a call in class and told me she'd contact me again once class is over, but I'm dying to know!! 

Hi! They have 3 interview weekend options:   January 15-16, January 29-30, and February 12-13.

If your sis got the NUIN call, they will send you an email between today and tomorrow with more details! :)

Hi! They have 3 interview weekend options:   January 15-16, January 29-30, and February 12-13.

If your sis got the NUIN call, they will send you an email between today and tomorrow with more details! :)

Thank you so much!!! I knew Gradcafe was the faster option!  ;)

Emory is calling! Interview weekends Feb 5-7 and Feb 19-21. 

Knowing this is making me unreasonably stressed out.

I wouldn't fret too much yet =)

Thanks! :)

Edited by fec

Knowing this is making me unreasonably stressed out.

Thanks! :)

Would not worry, it is still very early in the game. I would imagine that most programs are still reviewing applications and sending out invites on a rolling basis.