Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2015

NWFreeheel11

I see that UC Berkeley sent out some invites, does anyone want to claim those interviews? Does anyone know if they are done with sending out invites?

I'll claim a Berkeley interview, a Harvard interview and a Johns Hopkins interview. 

Im actually not sure if theyre done sending out the invites. 

I'll claim a Berkeley interview, a Harvard interview and a Johns Hopkins interview. 

Im actually not sure if theyre done sending out the invites. 

Congrats on the interviews! That's awesome!

I saw a bunch of Berkeley invites go out but historically they don't send them out this early, it was really worrying me. Oh well, hopefully they keep them coming or do another round.

has anyone else run into schools just not even looking for your GRE/Transcripts yet? I've spent all morning on the phone with various programs because my application says my GRE scores weren't received and then they find them immediately. Same with official transcripts. I sent all these things a month and a half ago to avoid this very situation. Whyyyyy :(

has anyone else run into schools just not even looking for your GRE/Transcripts yet? I've spent all morning on the phone with various programs because my application says my GRE scores weren't received and then they find them immediately. Same with official transcripts. I sent all these things a month and a half ago to avoid this very situation. Whyyyyy :(

Did these programs contact you regarding missing pieces of you application?

Did these programs contact you regarding missing pieces of you application?

NO! They did not. Which made me panic and call every single program this morning. Everyone was helpful but a lot of people kind of laughed and said "yup it's a big school, this just happens." That seems unfair for the amount of money we spend sending these things out.

UC Irvine interview!!!!!  Jan 22 (overlaps with Harvard  :o )

Hey when did you submit application for UC Irvine? I'm trying to figure out whether I should be freaking out now or not. Thanks!

Hey when did you submit application for UC Irvine? I'm trying to figure out whether I should be freaking out now or not. Thanks!

I submitted all of my applications the day of the deadline - I think that's Dec 2nd for Irvine? I also contacted a professor who did not respond.

Good luck!!!! Fingers crossed for you!

UC Irvine interview!!!!!  Jan 22 (overlaps with Harvard  :o )

I am really curious when I will hear back from them. Gary Roman, the INP coordinator, is one of the rudest people I have ever had a chance to speak to and I don't want to call for that reason. He told me in an email that they will contact me in December and not to contact THEM!  :( I am glad I am working tonight to not think about this. I really wanted to get an invite from there.

I just got a call from one of the programs I applied to saying they want a Skype Pre-interview with me because I am international (even though I live in the US). I am not sure how to understand/take it? Has anybody else gotten this request or done it already? I am not even sure how to prepare for it! Any advice/opinion would be helpful. Thanks!

I just got Vanderbilt NGP (Jan 29-30) and Pittsburgh CNUP (date to be determined - odd).

Vanderbilt conflicts with Iowa, so I emailed Iowa and asked if I could be switched to their other interview weekend. Hopefully they haven't bought my plane ticket yet. I feel awful about this, but I feel that I fit better with Vanderbilt's research than I do with Iowa's.

I just got a call from one of the programs I applied to saying they want a Skype Pre-interview with me because I am international (even though I live in the US). I am not sure how to understand/take it? Has anybody else gotten this request or done it already? I am not even sure how to prepare for it! Any advice/opinion would be helpful. Thanks!

I had one of these for UA, and it went well. Just be yourself, all they do is ask you generic questions about why you applied, what your interests are, and that you will most likely hear back from them. My adm committee interviewers were funny and really nice. I never had one before until now, but like I said, be yourself and honest and it will go well. 

PS. I put a piece of paper next to me that had the faculties names I would like to work with and a few other pieces of info so if you need help remembering things, its right next to you!

I had one of these for UA, and it went well. Just be yourself, all they do is ask you generic questions about why you applied, what your interests are, and that you will most likely hear back from them. My adm committee interviewers were funny and really nice. I never had one before until now, but like I said, be yourself and honest and it will go well. 

PS. I put a piece of paper next to me that had the faculties names I would like to work with and a few other pieces of info so if you need help remembering things, its right next to you!

Thank you for your advice! For some reason I thought the request was somewhat negative (?) I know it doesn't make sense because they could have just not contacted me at all, but I guess the anxiety caused by this process made me take it the wrong way.. Thank you for your fast reply too Ted Binsky! :)

Heard from Georgetown today. I think it was an official invite, but I don't think they have confirmed their interview dates. Unfortunately all three they gave me conflict with other interviews. Most likely I'll have to decline UVA's interview since Georgetown is more of a priority, but I worry about getting rid of my safety school, and I was really looking forward to the visit.

I am really curious when I will hear back from them. Gary Roman, the INP coordinator, is one of the rudest people I have ever had a chance to speak to and I don't want to call for that reason. He told me in an email that they will contact me in December and not to contact THEM!  :( I am glad I am working tonight to not think about this. I really wanted to get an invite from there.

I too and waiting to hear from Irvine and I also had an unbelievably unpleasant interaction with the INP coordinator. After having an argument with him due to him being extremely rude I contacted the head of the department and informed her. She didn't seem surprised or frazzled but she did say that my application would be reviewed and my argument did not affect my status. I was informed that the committee would receive all application last Friday, 12/12.

I too and waiting to hear from Irvine and I also had an unbelievably unpleasant interaction with the INP coordinator. After having an argument with him due to him being extremely rude I contacted the head of the department and informed her. She didn't seem surprised or frazzled but she did say that my application would be reviewed and my argument did not affect my status. I was informed that the committee would receive all application last Friday, 12/12.

Ok, I thought I was the only one that thought the INP coordinator was rude. He basically hung up on me when I called asking why my status said incomplete on my transcripts. This is my first choice school but don't want to call and have to speak with him again. Looks like its a waiting game for now <_<

OHSU NGP just emailed me for an interview! And Utah did a bit earlier too. Four interview invites today + graduation = too much to handle!

Sounds like it's a great day for everyone!

I would give you an upvote but nooo I used all mine for today :( CONGRATS ON INTERVIEWS AND GRADUATING!!!! ^_^