Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2015

NWFreeheel11

for Pitt's CNUP program -  did they just start sending out interviews? and those of you who got interviews there - when was your application complete? 

I got an email Friday from Dr. Carol Colby saying that I was invited to interview (very informal email - it was a personal email, not a form email) and that she would like to call me on Monday to discuss it.

Dr. Carol Colby is one of the members of the admissions committee, she's not my POI.

My application was complete on 10/31. However, the CNUP program explicitly says that review of all applications begins in December, so this doesn't matter.

Edited by pasteltomato

Congrats to the Columbia invites. I'm really hoping that they'll still be sending out invites tomorrow. Though I have no idea how I'd even get to visit since I've already committed to UPenn and Emory for those weekends.

Some schools allow you to make alternate arrangements but some don't- however even if you have already committed, I would say that it doesn't matter. you should interview where you want to go to most.

Just gonna throw this out there- does anyone know how likely admissions are (based on pure stats) after you interview?

You may find this thread useful:

Will the UC's still be sending out invites through the end of Dec and Jan? I saw a lot of people have already gotten heads up from UCSF, UCB, UCLA, UCD, among others, but am hoping that they are not through and done yet.

Judging from previous years those programs send invites well into January. Don't give up hope !

Does anyone know if Michigan has sent out all their invites? I haven't seen nearly as many as I expected so far. 

For Neuroscience or PIBS? or both? 

So, I think I read a while back that PIBS had 3 interview sessions. However, when I got invited, it was for a specific one (the middle one). They might be just notifying people chronologically (i.e. first the ones for the first weekend, second the ones for the second one, etc). I am speculating though... Or maybe each PIBS program/specialization has a pre-determined weekend... I'm not sure...

Edited by MSBS

No clue! Sorry! Maybe call and ask? Seems like a lot of people have been doing that lately

Haha, I would definitely do that, but I have already bugged the coordinator a bit about another topic and I don't want my name to be associated with annoyance :-P Its a thin line and a slippery slope. I guess nail bitting and waiting is the way to go. 

Thanks for the heads up imathew - it appears that Berkeley has at least sent out all its invites though.

Just curious because Berkeley was one of my top schools, how do you know they sent out all of their invites? I'd be pretty bummed if this is true.

Haven't heard from any schools yet and starting to get pretty dejected. :( . Hope they send out more interview invites.

I'm right there with you and it sucks. I haven't heard a peep and I thought I would have gotten at least one by now. Definitely takes a shot at your self-esteem.

Just curious because Berkeley was one of my top schools, how do you know they sent out all of their invites? I'd be pretty bummed if this is true.

I am looking for a number to call, but if you look at previous years, Berkeley has consistently sent out all of its invites on the same day. This year, that day would appear to have been the 18th. Last year, it was the 23rd, and the year before that, the 19th. I would be gladly proven wrong, however. 

I am looking for a number to call, but if you look at previous years, Berkeley has consistently sent out all of its invites on the same day. This year, that day would appear to have been the 18th. Last year, it was the 23rd, and the year before that, the 19th. I would be gladly proven wrong, however.

Well it would certainly suck if they were done and I have noticed that schools follow the trends that they set in previous years but if you end up calling and hearing otherwise, definitely post it on here. I would love to know.

Haven't heard from any schools yet and starting to get pretty dejected. :( . Hope they send out more interview invites.

I'm right there with you and it sucks. I haven't heard a peep and I thought I would have gotten at least one by now. Definitely takes a shot at your self-esteem.

I think you guys still have a lot of time, so don't get discouraged yet!

I think you guys still have a lot of time, so don't get discouraged yet!

Thank you for the encouragement, it is much appreciated in this time. I know a lot of my schools typically send invites out in January but it's still an anxiety provoking period of time. I'll try to stay positive :).

Have all of Columbia neurobiology & behavior invites been sent out already? :(

I hope not! I talked on the phone with them a few weeks back and the woman said they would send out invites close to Christmas. I'm keeping my hopes up until the 26th!

I have a feeling the majority of people in the West Coast take their holidays seriously and won't send invites until later! There is still time! :) 

Thank you for the encouragement, it is much appreciated in this time. I know a lot of my schools typically send invites out in January but it's still an anxiety provoking period of time. I'll try to stay positive :).

I have a feeling the majority of people in the West Coast take their holidays seriously and won't send invites until later! There is still time! :)

Thanks for the encouraging words. Like Neurojock said, self esteem definitely taking a hit right now.  Hoping for some happy news in the coming weeks.

Thanks for the encouraging words. Like Neurojock said, self esteem definitely taking a hit right now. Hoping for some happy news in the coming weeks.

Also, the schools you applied to haven't seemed to send out invites yet! Some UCs interview from late Feb even to early March (based on previous years).

Edited by Sarahlheath