Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2015

NWFreeheel11

Has anyone been at the WUSTL first rounds of interviews , and if so how was your experience and would you have any advice? I am going there this week, getting kind of nervous. Every advice is greatly appreciated :)

I am going there this week too! I am also nervous but excited and unfortunately I have no advice to give you though... See you then!

Has anyone been at the WUSTL first rounds of interviews , and if so how was your experience and would you have any advice? I am going there this week, getting kind of nervous. Every advice is greatly appreciated :)

My friend just went there last Thursday-Saturday (for the neuro program) and she told me that it was all very relaxed and that her interviews were more like conversations. She did say that she partied with the current grad students until 4 am Saturday morning. Also, there's a dinner with faculty and she said that the dinner almost felt like a big group interview -- but was just as much of a laid back conversation as the actual interviews were.

Edited by pasteltomato

How do nominations for department fellowships work? Is it truly a "competitive" process or is it pretty much guaranteed to whoever is nominated?

If the department has obtained funding for its own fellowships (and doesn't share with other departments) it's probably less competitive than it sounds (unless your entering class has a ton of nominated people). I think this is something that is decided by the time you are made an offer, though, as it is something that might shape your decision.

I am going there this week too! I am also nervous but excited and unfortunately I have no advice to give you though... See you then!

Thats great! Its my first interview so I am quite nervous, but looking forward to it as well. I'll see you soon then, best of luck :)

My friend just went there last Thursday-Saturday (for the neuro program) and she told me that it was all very relaxed and that her interviews were more like conversations. She did say that she partied with the current grad students until 4 am Saturday morning. Also, there's a dinner with faculty and she said that the dinner almost felt like a big group interview -- but was just as much of a laid back conversation as the actual interviews were.

Yup thats I am going for Neuro as well. Sounds like she had great time, thanks for the info :)

For anyone wondering, BU committee meets on Monday and send intivtes on tuesday.

This probably won't happen tomorrow, given the horrific blizzard hitting New England.  

Well I got another interview invite, but I've already been unofficially accepted at my top choice. This new school seems to be going out of their way to schedule my interview due to some circumstances. However, I am simply waiting for the official acceptance from my top choice then I plan on canceling. I don't want to cancel yet because of the potential for a freak incident that I don't get into my top choice, but I feel bad having them schedule this interview when there's a 99% chance I'll cancel it. Going to the interview and pretending to be on the market still seems even more rude than cancelling though.. Not to mention a waste of everyone's time/someone else's potential interview spot.

Edited by ineedanak

For those interested in Caltech Neurobiology, the Option Representative told me that they planned to send out invites sometime this week.

This probably won't happen tomorrow, given the horrific blizzard hitting New England.  

More waiting. Sigh. 

Does anyone know if Princeton, Columbia, Duke, and UPenn are still sending out interview invites?

I believe Columbia is done with interview invites. When I emailed 2 weeks ago, UPenn said their international invitations haven't been sent yet but hopefully determined within that week. I emailed again to ask a few days ago but received no reply - I suspect it should have already been done. International interviews for UPenn will be held 13th Feb - and it seems a little late by now if we haven't heard ): 

Edited by thindust

Looks like a couple of people heard from BU! I'm not one of them :(

Oh well, congrats to those who got an interview!

Anyone know when Rochester is going to send theirs? It's my last hope!

Don't give up hope on BU just yet. I live on the East coast and EVERYTHING is shut down. All the schools are closed, so they might still have some invites to send out. Optimistically.

Don't give up hope on BU just yet. I live on the East coast and EVERYTHING is shut down. All the schools are closed, so they might still have some invites to send out. Optimistically.

Does anyone have any insight as to if the emails were POI driven or automated? In the past I'd got the impression it was one generic email for the invite :/

Looks like a couple of people heard from BU! I'm not one of them :(

Oh well, congrats to those who got an interview!

Anyone know when Rochester is going to send theirs? It's my last hope!

It is still early in the day. Don't give up quite yet!

I am telling myself that a.) they have snow. the school is closed. so I may hear from them tomorrow and b.) wait until the end of the week. Don't give up hope!

Everything has shutdown in Boston but the cable and phone lines still work fine. I doubt the department admin needs to be in his office to send a few e-mails.