Any Fall 2015 Admission applicants?

hrw5051

I emailed Ohio State today about the status of my application and they said that they have offered admission to a first round of applicants and have denied a group of applicants.  She said that my status can be considered as on the "waiting list" and that we will be notified if they are able to make more admission offers or if all spots are full. 

I figured I would share this, since some of you are in a similar situation with OSU. 

Update for OldAuD and AUD201518 on UIUC open house: enjoyed my stay, campus nice. Faculty were inviting and easy to talk to. 1st semester is clinic observation, then after is more-hands on. 2nd & 3rd year placements May require travel to Chicago, St Louis, Indianapolis depending on what is available and type of practice. In that case with schedule, it may be 2 hr drive each way, but it is a full day and twice a week. Seems manageable, opens up more opportunity if you don't mind driving. They did state, as an AuD you will need a car by 2nd year. Financial: you are allowed to look for assistant-ships/ employment/ research stipends outside of the department but it needs to be checked with home department due to some giving tuition waivers and how they are processed. Doesn't sound like any are offered outright from them. Seems like most students have something (one works at Arbys, one is a personal assistant) and it doesn't appear to be overly difficult to balance. That being said,  I have a financial offer from another department so the opportunities are there. Buses are everywhere, students ride for free. Coffee shops aplenty! There is an office with desk space for AuD only, and lockers I think on main floor. Some live on campus, some live off. Faculty and staff seem very supportive, in-house clinic is ok, maybe mid-high level. I've been to several campus visits, there have been some places that the clinic is a ghetto tomb of death... not the case here. I have 2 acceptances, and 2 waitlists so far... I will most likely be accepting this one for overall best fit. 

Update for OldAuD and AUD201518 on UIUC open house: 

Thanks for a great report.  2 quick clarifications: you said "There is an office with desk space for AuD only" does that mean each AuD has a desk or does it mean there is an office-like room that the AuDs share? This one is just curiosity, which department offered you a financial offer - if you don't want to say no problem.

Thanks again it was very helpful. 

Thanks for a great report.  2 quick clarifications: you said "There is an office with desk space for AuD only" does that mean each AuD has a desk or does it mean there is an office-like room that the AuDs share? This one is just curiosity, which department offered you a financial offer - if you don't want to say no problem.

Thanks again it was very helpful. 

It is an office room with 4 long metal desks/tables: 2 that face each other, the other two along the opposite walls. Each student has their own space along those desks/tables. There are drawers, and there is a huge filling case at the front. It would look similar to a typical office with cubicles, just minus the partitions. The students seemed to like it and that they could collaborate when they wanted but have their own space too. With students in different years and clinic/class schedule being different, the office is never full with all students. AuD students have 24/hr access to the building, offices, and clinic so work/practice/study can happen whenever you choose.

For the assistance-ship, I will be working with the veterans on campus (the population I want to work with after graduation).

Hope this helps with your decisions :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about going into Audiology and I'm wondering how I stack up against other applicants for the next cycle. (Fall 2016) Since you've all gone through the process yourself and have been accepted into schools, I'm looking for some feedback! :) 

I'm currently doing some hands-on volunteer work at a nearby hospital with newborn hearing screening, will be a camp counselor for kids with communicative disorders, and looking into doing some research projects at my school. I also worked as a behavioral therapist for almost 2 years-- mainly working with kids on the spectrum and Down's syndrome.

What have you guys done to boost your application? Research? Jobs? Volunteer? 

Thanks!  :)

• 3 weeks later...

So several people have posted on the results that they are still waiting on South Alabama to send out something either a rejection or acceptance. Has anyone heard anything? It seems really late not have sent out anything.