Waiting Game Fall 2015

GhostsBeforeBreakfast

Would the Yale acceptance be able to give us any more info? Congratulations to you!!!

PS. Have any medievalists heard back from NYU/Columbia/Harvard? Radio silence on my end :( But no rejections either?

Edited by dannyduki

I can finally claim one of the Courtauld acceptances! So excited. I mentioned earlier I only applied to one program, and I am so relieve putting all my eggs in one basket worked out.

I was sorry to see all those Columbia rejections. I hope the rest of this final week of Feb is filled with Art History Acceptances on that results page :D

Congratulations Nesbit! I got an unofficial offer from my POI today as well! Maybe we will meet each other in Courtauld then :D

Does anyone know anything about the UChicago MAPH program? Friends who have been through the program? Is it worth it if accepted? Pretty sure I won't go if accepted because $$$ but still curious.

On 2/24/2015 at 11:58 AM, ghostcowgirl said:

A little late to the conversation BUT

I was accepted to University of Oregon MA program

Rejected from UT-Austin (via web)

Had an interview with BGC last week

Still waiting to hear from Delaware and Boston University

yikes.

Congrats on your acceptance to Oregon. I got rejected from UT too, and I'm still waiting to hear from WashU. I take it as a bad sign that I haven't heard anything

Congrats to the CUNY admit and best of luck for the waitlisters! Does anyone mind sharing information about your concentration and/or the email you received? Was it an official email from the department? Was it implied that all notifications were out already? I'd appreciate any sort of input. Thanks!

Well, fellow University of Chicago rejects, methinks I'll be drinking my sorrows away tonight. One for each of the brave applicants who fell to the admissions committee this year, as per the spreadsheet. Eight and counting. God rest their CVs.

Also, I'm happy to see Indiana University admits on the list. I've worked closely with a few professors here. Send me a PM if you've got questions about the Department of Art History at IU. Maybe I can answer them (albeit from an undergrad's perspective), or refer you to someone else who might be able to provide better insight.

I haven't heard anything either way from Chicago.  Was it just an email or did your status on their website change?  I hate how "hide the ball" this all feels.  Ugh.  

It was an email. Check your spam folder, just in case. I took a look at the website just now. There's no indication that I was rejected.

I'm really bummed out about it, just because it was my top choice, going off of my current theoretical focus. I've only applied to two schools this first round, both for personal life reasons and due to insufficient time to do my research as to where the field is going, what are my options, etc. After a month or two of searching, I found only one POI in the United States who is working on the kind of stuff I'm particularly interested in pursuing for my thesis. He's in Chicago, and he specializes in a different subfield than that in which my background is strongest. It was a long shot, but I hoped for the best. Ah well, I'll keep working on the project in my spare time.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. Still waiting to hear back from Harvard, which is a much better fit for my subfield focus.

Edited by Burr

It was an email. Check your spam folder, just in case. I took a look at the website just now. There's no indication that I was rejected.

I'm really bummed out about it, just because it was my top choice, going off of my current theoretical focus. I've only applied to two schools this first round, both for personal life reasons and due to insufficient time to do my research as to where the field is going, what are my options, etc. After a month or two of searching, I found only one POI in the United States who is working on the kind of stuff I'm particularly interested in pursuing for my thesis. He's in Chicago, and he specializes in a different subfield than that in which my background is strongest. It was a long shot, but I hoped for the best. Ah well, I'll keep working on the project in my spare time.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. Still waiting to hear back from Harvard, which is a much better fit for my subfield focus.

I, too, haven't heard anything either way.  Strange that UChicago is referring everyone to the MAPH program (though there is a checkbox on the application where you can elect to have your app referred there if you are rejected from the PhD program). I wonder how many MAPH referrals already have a Masters?

MAPH is what you make of it. While it is certainly expensive, it can be an extremely rewarding experience. You will never learn as much and work as hard in that one year than at any other time in grad school. Also, people have re-applied to the UChicago PhD track after they did MAPH and have been accepted. Others went on to other programs at UChicago or elsewhere. If you're able to stick around, you may also get credit for your some courses, which can be a plus. It is certainly a program to consider.  

I'm basically down to three programs, everyone. 

I'm sorry for anyone in a similar boat but if you know you belong in this field, try not to get too discouraged. 

One day we will look back at our published dissertations and laugh at the fact we ever had a doubt in our mind.

I'm basically down to three programs, everyone. 

I'm sorry for anyone in a similar boat but if you know you belong in this field, try not to get too discouraged. 

One day we will look back at our published dissertations and laugh at the fact we ever had a doubt in our mind.

good advice. luckily, you have three left, and only need one.

Is anyone else waiting to hear from BU and Maryland?

So far I'm down to two programs..... and waiting for three more.

Congrats to the admitted students and good luck to the rest of us!

I am waiting to hear from Maryland too, and as far as I know, so is another person who I've been in contact with. We've both applied for a PhD, and I saw on the results page one person was already accepted for a MA. I wonder how much longer it'll take, waiting is excruciating. But at least we're not alone!

I'm still waiting on 5 schools after two rejections. One of them is U Del, hopefully it's true that they're making decisions today.

I can hardly take this waiting game much longer. I am 6 hours ahead of the east coast, and I have been waking up in the middle of the night wondering if I got an email...

Congrats to those who have been accepted and good luck to those still waiting!